lovetapioca

Teeth Cleaning At Dentist's

Rate this topic

I had my teeth cleaned yesterday and had a bad reaction. 27 hours later I am starting to get better. I don't see how it could be anything else I ate that day. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what type of professional cleaning product should I ask for? I react easily to any small amount of gluten and have to read all labels or I pay for it with a reaction.

I had that happen about 18 months ago!

I called the hygenist and told her about the "allergic" reaction. She gave me a list of every product, complete with mfg. she used. I spent quite a bit of time researching. I called her back and told her I thought it was the gum numbing agent. I can't remember the name of the product or manufacturer, but it was pina colada flavored. (I'm not allergic or sensitive to coconut or pinapple, rum for that matter.)

I get my teeth cleaned every four months and haven't had another problem. There's a note in my chart not to use that product, if you like I can call her to get the name and mfg, but I'd really recommend calling your hygenist. What bugs me may not bug you. Good luck!

I use Oral B fluoride rinse recommended by my dental hygienist as it is gluten free. My dental office cannot be 100% certain that their products are gluten free and do not want to use them on me (as per my last visit, anyway). You can get the rinse in daily or weekly formulations. Nice between cleanings. In fact, I only need to go once a year now!

I will call my dentist's office back, but since my next cleaning appointment isn't until October I feel I have some time to do a little research first. Especially if it turns out they may be the type to "snicker" at the problem. Sad, but even in the medical community it can happen. I have quite a bit of elective dental work to have done before this time, if I so decide. I want to make sure it is something to do with the cleaning and not something else that may be used during the dental work.

Thank you. I will check out the gum numbing agent. Especially since this may be the same as they give before they give the shot. I wonder if this is in the toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Just a thought and something I will check out.

Since our mouth is only rinsed partially when our teeth are cleaned, we do swallow quite a bit of the cleaning product whether we realize it or not. I am so sensitive that just having it in my mouth is enough for me to have a gluten reaction.

I appreciate all comments.

My dentist is experienced with fielding gluten-free issues. I'm not their first patient. They know what is/isn't gluten-free.

If your dentist gives you push-back, find another.

I will call my dentist's office back, but since my next cleaning appointment isn't until October I feel I have some time to do a little research first. Especially if it turns out they may be the type to "snicker" at the problem. Sad, but even in the medical community it can happen. I have quite a bit of elective dental work to have done before this time, if I so decide. I want to make sure it is something to do with the cleaning and not something else that may be used during the dental work.

Thank you. I will check out the gum numbing agent. Especially since this may be the same as they give before they give the shot. I wonder if this is in the toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Just a thought and something I will check out.

Since our mouth is only rinsed partially when our teeth are cleaned, we do swallow quite a bit of the cleaning product whether we realize it or not. I am so sensitive that just having it in my mouth is enough for me to have a gluten reaction.

I appreciate all comments.

I have had more dental work than most people, due to Celiac related teeth issues. I have done extensive research on dental products and have to say, I never found any that contained anything remotely related to gluten. Dental products do make use of gums and I had a severe reaction after having an impression done for a new tooth. It was the gum that got me. I get my teeth cleaned every 3 months and have never had a reaction from a cleaning. Unless you are in another country other than the US, most dental offices use one of a few dental products out there. I use flavored toothpastes at the dentist and researched them, which means I called company reps and they were very helpful. No gluten.

Some of the ingredients used in these products might be hard on a Celiac's delicate digestive tract and that is much more likely to be the problem. They do not put gluten derived products in numbing agents either. I am very sensitive to trace amounts of gluten so would definitely have a reaction if there was any amount of gluten in a product.

I've had my share of dental work. When I was first DXed I was due for a cleaning and check-up. When I called to make the appointment I told the Dentist about my DX and asked if she could check for gluten ingredients. She was glad I mentioned it ahead of time so she could check and said there was nothing that should bother me when I went in.

I just got a crown redone too, and didn't react to anything...other than the bill. :o

*A funny side note...my Dentist questioned if I had any autoimmune issues because of the enamel on my teeth long before any Dr. Dxed Celiac!

• Upvote 1

I've had my share of dental work. When I was first DXed I was due for a cleaning and check-up. When I called to make the appointment I told the Dentist about my DX and asked if she could check for gluten ingredients. She was glad I mentioned it ahead of time so she could check and said there was nothing that should bother me when I went in.

I just got a crown redone too, and didn't react to anything...other than the bill. :o

*A funny side note...my Dentist questioned if I had any autoimmune issues because of the enamel on my teeth long before any Dr. Dxed Celiac!

Wow, that's very interesting! I'm just dying to know how long before you got diagnosed that he asked that!

I will call my dentist to make sure just in case there was a type of problem. Whatever it is, something happened that caused a major problem that day and was definitely a gluten reaction. Today I ate everything I had that day again and no problem. I had only eaten at home that day and today and I keep no gluten in my house...that I know of. However, there could always be surprises. Things get on our hands and even could be on the gloves at the office...they may have just eaten something with the gloves...something that simple like a cookie when her gloves were on would be enough to do me in. I love leading a normal life which isn't easy with being Celiac and having MS. But the way I do it is thru knowledge of what is happening to me and knowing what is causing it and kicking it off...That is why I was so happy to find this site.

Thank you all for your help!

I am extremely sensitive and have had problems the last three times I went. My hygenist is very sympathetic and careful. The first time I noticed a reaction it was a bad one. Before the next cleaning I called the office and she researched it carefully. The second time she only used water and unpowdered gloves and I still had a minor reaction. It was also pretty uncomfortable as I have sensitive teeth. The third time she used the products and the reaction was also minor. I'm not sure what to do for the next time except to make sure that I don't have anything important to do the next day.

I can honestly say that I always feel lousy for several days after major dental work because I have trouble with the "caines". (You know, lidocaine, novacaine, etc) Dental molds also gave me grief--but I THINK it is the gums they use.

My dentist assures me there is no gluten in the materials and I trust his judgement. He told me has other celiac patients (long before I came to his practice) and they have not reported any problems to him. I am just very sensitive to drugs.

I react rather quickly to trace gluten, and I have not had any problems post-cleaning.

However, something did not agree with you, that's for sure. I would like to think your dental hygenist changed gloves before working on you (so no crumbs--- or anything for that matter :blink: --could get in your mouth) but it could't hurt to ask her to please change them before working on you next time.

At my last cleaning my hygienist used just ground pumice and water. It's not flavored and really like having your teeth cleaned with chalk, but I could at least rest easy knowing it was gluten-free. Otherwise they use a "sand blast" type instrument and she wasn't sure if the starchy material (Cavitron Jet Fresh Densply) had gluten or not. I've tried contacting Cavitron about it and have never gotten a reply to phone or email inquiries.

• Upvote 2

This is kind of gross & I have no actual scientific basis...its just a gross thought. Is is possible that there was some gluten from the old gluteny days stuck in the teeth and covered in that stuff they scrape off? the first time I went, I felt glutened all day after. But not any of the times since.

Yuck! :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

This is kind of gross & I have no actual scientific basis...its just a gross thought. Is is possible that there was some gluten from the old gluteny days stuck in the teeth and covered in that stuff they scrape off? the first time I went, I felt glutened all day after. But not any of the times since.

Yuck! :ph34r:

That actually makes a lot of sense! Especially for those who don't floss well or often.

:o gasp! I cannot imagine our Karen being a slip-shod flimsy flosser! :lol:

(try to say that three times!)

At my last cleaning my hygienist used just ground pumice and water. It's not flavored and really like having your teeth cleaned with chalk, but I could at least rest easy knowing it was gluten-free.

Interesting. So, do I just request this plain ground pumice next time. They keep this "on hand" do they? I am thinking I may go that route.

• Upvote 1

I tell you. I have got to hope that there isn't any 5 year old gluten still sticking to my teeth!!!! :unsure:

• Upvote 1

I will call my dentist to make sure just in case there was a type of problem. Whatever it is, something happened that caused a major problem that day and was definitely a gluten reaction. Today I ate everything I had that day again and no problem. I had only eaten at home that day and today and I keep no gluten in my house...that I know of. However, there could always be surprises. Things get on our hands and even could be on the gloves at the office...they may have just eaten something with the gloves...something that simple like a cookie when her gloves were on would be enough to do me in. I love leading a normal life which isn't easy with being Celiac and having MS. But the way I do it is thru knowledge of what is happening to me and knowing what is causing it and kicking it off...That is why I was so happy to find this site.

Thank you all for your help!

No reputable dental office would ever have an employee eating cookies AFTER they out their dental gloves on! :blink:

When I had a reaction to the gums in the dental composite, it was exactly like a gluten reaction. There are things you will react to and it will totally mimic a gluten reaction but isn't. I had one severe reaction in years of regular dental work.

It was the gums. I have not had one since and I probably rank as having one of the highest levels of dental work in the Celiac population...I know I will send my dentist's kid to college. ;) Don't over think this and don't be afraid to go to the dentist. As a Celiac, you'll be a regular there, unfortunately!

I have a cleaning tomorrow. I'll ask the hygenist. I'm pretty sure I swallowed a little bit of the numbing agent by mistake. I detest going to the dentist. My parents were poor and elected to not pay for any pain killers, so the dentist would drill away on our teeth sans pain killer. I grip the armrails when I go in there.

I never had novocaine when I was a kid either. The first time a dentist came at me ( as an adult) with a needle to numb me, I said "What the hell is THAT for?? " :ph34r:

Not many of our generation did get novacaine, from what I have learned from others. :unsure:

I think it set me up for real "dental phobia".

I like my dentist personally, but I despise going there. I grip the arm rests, too. UGH!

When I had a reaction to the gums in the dental composite, it was exactly like a gluten reaction. There are things you will react to and it will totally mimic a gluten reaction but isn't.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me! Dental molds and any of the "caines"--feels just like I have been glutened. :angry:

I went in for a cleaning a month ago and I commented on how bad the toothpaste they used taste. They said that they had to switch to gluten-free, dye-free toothpaste because so many patients have issues. This was without me ever asking about the ingredients in the toothpaste. So apparently some do contain gluten...or it was just a marketing scheme by some toothpaste manufacturer.

I went in for a cleaning a month ago and I commented on how bad the toothpaste they used taste. They said that they had to switch to gluten-free, dye-free toothpaste because so many patients have issues. This was without me ever asking about the ingredients in the toothpaste. So apparently some do contain gluten...or it was just a marketing scheme by some toothpaste manufacturer.

The hygenist said it was the Colgate Perigard, not the gum numbing agent. The active ingredient is Chlorhexidine Gluconate and is manufactured by a number of companies. Before it went generic, it was just known as Perigard by the trade, because they're who introduced it. I have a high gag reflex and I know I swallowed some. In her words, "That's heavy duty stuff". But that's what she wrote down in my chart after I called her back.

The hygenist said it was the Colgate Perigard, not the gum numbing agent. The active ingredient is Chlorhexidine Gluconate and is manufactured by a number of companies. Before it went generic, it was just known as Perigard by the trade, because they're who introduced it. I have a high gag reflex and I know I swallowed some. In her words, "That's heavy duty stuff". But that's what she wrote down in my chart after I called her back.

After googling Colgate Periogard this is what I came up with http://celiacshack.blogspot.com/2011/07/gluten-free-medications.html. Under the list of NON gluten-free drugs, it's listed but dated 3/08. I'm not sure if the patient called the manufacturer or where they got the information. Here is another website that confirms it as of 3/08 http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFmedlist.pdf. Things may have changed since that date, but you would only find out after contacting the manufacturer. It's unlikely that the active ingredient is actually the gluten-containing ingredient.

If you look at the MSDS sheet for both Peridex and Periguard products, they both contain almost the exact same ingredients. I could find nothing suspect in the ingredients listing, however, they are listed as a GI irritant and some people may experience stomach upset and diarrhea. I think it's another case of no gluten but bad for those with sensitive stomachs. In fact, if you read the MSDS, it's pretty scary stuff. I always pass on dental rinses anyway.

I brush my teeth before each visit and it's up to them to keep their hands clean with the use of gloves. Dentists are pretty careful these days because they could end up getting sick from their patients. It's not just gluten you have to worry about.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   6 Members, 2 Anonymous, 183 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    What’s the Deal with Gluten Sniffing Dogs?
    Celiac.com 09/20/2018 - Some people with celiac disease experience extreme symptoms when they eat gluten. These folks adopt various strategies for navigating the world. One of those strategies involves getting a gluten-sniffing service dog.
    We’ve done a few stories on gluten-sniffing dogs over the years. Dogs like Zeus and Hawkeye are famous for helping their owners sniff out gluten before they can eat it.
    Can Gluten-Sniffing Dogs Help People with Celiac Disease?  The stories are always popular. People love the stories, and people love the dogs. After all, pretty much anyone with celiac disease who has ever read about gluten-sniffing dogs would love to have one. Who could say no to a warm, fuzzy dog that can take a sniff of your food and signal you when it contains gluten?
    The stories almost always generate plenty of feedback and more than a few questions. To answer some of those questions, we’ve decided to do an article that provides some facts about gluten-sniffing dogs.
    Here are a few factors to keep in mind about gluten-sniffing service dogs:
    Gluten-free Dog Status:
    One thing to remember is that proper gluten-sniffing dogs are professionally trained service animals, much like seeing-eye dogs or hearing-ear dogs. 
    As professional service animals, the dogs must be trained and certified as service animals. The dogs may then accompany their master pretty much anywhere they go, and are available to assess all food and snacks.
    Gluten-free Dog Training:
    Proper training takes time, which equals money. Professional trainers might only train one or two dogs, and the training can take about a year. There are very few trainers for gluten-sniffing dogs, and there are also currently no official guidelines or certification.
    Gluten-free Dog Cost:
    In our recent story on the gluten-sniffing black Lab, Hawkeye, we noted that the dog cost $16,000, not including food, and vet bills. 
    Gluten-free Dog Reliability:
    Nimasensor.com notes that “[g]luten-sniffing dogs may detect gluten in amounts as small as .0025 parts per million with 95 percent to 98 percent accuracy.”
    The Mercola.com website says that Willow, a gluten-sniffing German shorthaired pointer in Michigan, can detect gluten with 95 percent to 98 percent accuracy. 
    Read more on gluten-sniffing dogs:
    Gluten-Sniffing Dogs Are Game Changers for People With Celiac Disease Gluten-sniffing dogs help people with celiac disease What to Know About Gluten-Sniffing Dogs Gluten-Sniffing Assistance Dog Helps Celiac Sufferer Lead Normal Life

Jefferson Adams
    The Girl Scouts Adds New Gluten-Free Cookie to Popular Lineup
    Celiac.com 09/19/2018 - Great news for gluten-free cookies lovers!  Girl Scouts has announced the debut of a new gluten-free cookie to its enormously popular cookie brand. 
    The new Caramel Chocolate Chip is a chewy cookie that contains caramel, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and a hint of sea salt. also happens to be gluten-free. The new gluten-free treat will be available in select areas during the 2019 cookie-selling season; which typically runs from February to April each year.
    The gluten-free Caramel Chocolate Chip joins the Girl Scouts’ two other gluten-free offerings: Toffee-tastic, a buttery cookie with sweet and crunchy golden toffee bits, and Trios, a peanut butter oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips. 
    The Girl Scouts of America has been around for over 100 years and now hosts more than 1.8 million girl members. Every year, about 100 million scouts between the ages of five and 18 sell approximately 200 million boxes of cookies nationwide. According to the Girl Scouts website, that money stays local to develop local leadership training activities, summer camps, and more activities.
    According to a 2016 study conducted by the Girl Scout Research Institute, approximately 85% of Girl Scouts surveyed said that Girl Scout Cookie Program helped them learn how to set goals and meet deadlines, while 88% said it helped them become effective decision-makers. Another 88% said they learned how to manage money, while 94% said the program helped them to learn business ethics.
    The Girl Scouts have also added online sales and iOS and Android apps that allow people to find cookies or order from their phones.

Jefferson Adams
    No Gluten-Free Diet for Tennis Champion Roger Federer
    Celiac.com 09/18/2018 - With a number of major tennis stars singing the praises of a gluten-free diet, including top players like Novak Djokovic, Swiss great Roger Federer weighed in on the topic.
    The 20-time Grand Slam winner says that he’s never tried the gluten-free diet, and that he doesn’t not “even know what that all means…I eat healthy, and I think that's what people should do, too, if they have the options. It's sure important the right diet for an athlete.”
    Djokovic, the 2018 US Open winner has been gluten-free since 2011, and calls the diet his biggest key to his success.
    For Federer, diet is helpful, but not the whole story. “[Diet] can help you, you know. I mean, I think every athlete should be in good shape. I don't think we should have any fat athletes, to be honest. We do too much sports and we should be too professional to let that happen to ourselves.
    If it happens, well, we should wake up. You don't have the right entourage. They're not telling you that you're a bit fat. Players try different things, and whatever works for them. I do my thing. It's been very easy and natural and healthy, and it's worked.”
    So, while Novak Djokovic, and a number of other athletes, have gone gluten-free and continue to tout the benefits, look for Federer to remain faithful to his generally nutritious non-gluten-free diet.
    Read more at: TennisWorldUSA.org

Connie Sarros
    All About Eggplant
    Celiac.com 09/15/2018 - People have a love/hate relationship with the purple fruit called ‘eggplant’. Eggplants, first cultivated in southern India and Sri Lanka, are also known as aubergine, Guinea squash, melazana, and ‘poor-man’s caviar’. Like potatoes they are members of the nightshade family, and despite the fact that we all consider eggplant to be a vegetable, biologically it is defined as a berry, and therefore it is a fruit.
    When selecting the fruit, select ones that are firm to the touch, have a smooth and shiny skin and are heavy. Avoid those with brown or soft spots and have a dull color. Gently push with your thumb or forefinger. If the flesh gives slightly but then bounces back, it is ripe. If the indentation remains, it is overripe and the insides will be mushy. If there is no give at all, the eggplant was picked too early. Once you bring it home, avoid placing it near tomatoes and apples, as they give off a gas that quickens the ripening process. Try to use the eggplant within two days of purchase.
    There are several cooking hints that will make your ‘eggplant experience’ more tasteful. Do not cook this fruit in an aluminum pan as it may cause discoloration (both of the pan and the fruit!). The skin is edible on small, younger plants, but should be removed on coarser, older ones. Once you cut the eggplant and cook it right away because the flesh will brown (similar to cut bananas). This fruit absorbs oil very easily, so it is recommended that you coat the slices with cornmeal before frying or baking. To help reduce the bitter flavor in older plants, ‘de-gorge’ the eggplant—Slice the eggplant into ½-inch pieces, salt well, then weigh down each slice in a colander to allow the liquid to drain out of the eggplant for 30 minutes—then rinse with cold water and pat dry.
    Equivalents and Nutritional Value—one pound of eggplant equals 3½ cups of diced eggplant and 1¾ cups cooked eggplant. One medium eggplant weights about 1 pound. It contains vitamin C and potassium, has anti-bacterial and diuretic effects, as well as flavanoids (cancer fighting antioxidants). One cup cooked eggplant contains 25 calories.
    The different ways to prepare eggplant are limited only by your imagination. Cut it into matchsticks to add to a stir-fry. Cube it for vegetable stews (Ratatouille). Shred it to make fritters, or puree it for a hummus-style dip. You can also slice it lengthwise and grill it.
    This fruit is probably most famous for the Italian rendition of Eggplant Parmigiana. But the Greeks have taken this dish one step further, ‘Moussaka’. If you have never eaten this, it is a delight to savor. Lean ground beef may be substituted for the ground lamb. Three zucchini may be used in place of the eggplant (if you prefer). Even if you hate eggplant, you will love Moussaka.
    The beauty of Moussaka is that this casserole may be made in advance, then covered and refrigerated overnight, or covered with foil and frozen—before you bake it (thaw in the refrigerator completely before baking). Time is precious for us all, and this concoction does take some time to assemble, but every moment is worth it. This makes an impressive side dish for company, it is perfect for a buffet table, or it can be used as a main dish for a family dinner.
    The following recipe is from my “Wheat-free Gluten-free Reduced Calorie Cookbook”. Traditional Moussaka is ‘loaded’ with calories and fat and cholesterol. This version is lower in calories and fat without sacrificing any of the delicious taste.
    Moussaka (Greek Casserole Dinner)
    Ingredients:
    1 large eggplant, peeled 2 teaspoons olive oil 1 large onion, chopped ½ pound lean ground lamb 5 teaspoons tomato paste ¼ cup white wine ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon 18 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon pepper 1 tablespoon margarine 1 ½ tablespoon cornstarch 1 cup scalded 1% milk 1 egg beaten until frothy 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg ½ cup gluten-free lowfat cottage cheese 1/3 cup gluten-free corn muffin crumbs, dried 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded Directions:
    Preheat broiler. Cut the peeled eggplant lengthwise into ½-inch thick slices. Spray both sides of the slices with gluten-free nonstick spray; set on a broiler pan and broil until browned, turning once. Preheat oven to 350F. Heat olive oil in a skillet; add onion and sauté until lightly browned. Add the lamb and cook, breaking meat up with a fork, for 10 minutes or until the meat is browned. In a small bowl, stir together the tomato paste, wine, parsley, cinnamon, salt and pepper; add to the meat and simmer, stirring frequently, until all liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Melt the margarine in a medium-size saucepan; blend in the cornstarch with a whisk. Slowly stir the hot milk into the cornstarch; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool slightly, and then stir in the beaten egg, nutmeg, and cottage cheese. Spray a 9-inch square pan with gluten-free nonstick spray. Sprinkle the bottom lightly with 2 tablespoons of the corn muffin crumbs. Arrange alternate layers of eggplant slices and meat mixture in the pan. Sprinkle each meat layer with the Parmesan cheese and remaining corn muffin crumbs. Pour the cottage cheese mixture over the top. Bake 45 minutes or until the top is golden. Cool slightly before cutting. Makes 6 (4 ½ X3-inch) serving.

Jefferson Adams
    Nima Labs Claps Back at Gluten Free Watchdog Over Gluten Sensor Data
    Celiac.com 09/14/2018 - Celiac.com was all set to do a story on the latest peer-reviewed data on the Nima gluten testing device, when along comes Gluten-Free Watchdog with another of their famous non-recommendations. Gluten-Free Watchdog says they cannot recommend the Nima gluten test kit because of alleged flaws.
    But what does the science say? The latest Nima article and Gluten-Free Watchdog’s complaint both focus on the science, so let’s start there.
    Nima makes two different food sensors: one detects gluten, the other detects peanuts. Each sensor comprises a small, handheld electronic device and a cartridge. To test food, consumers place a pea sized amount into the cartridge, place the cartridge inside the sensor, and run the device.  They then receive a smiley face or wheat symbol with "gluten found," depending on whether or not the Nima device detected the allergen.
    Nima reported their original data in a peer-reviewed scientific journal. Among the conclusions: “Compared with reference R5, Nima antibodies (13F6 and 14G11) had 35- and 6.6-fold higher gliadin affinities, respectively. Nima demonstrated device performance using a comprehensive list of foods, assessing detection sensitivity, reproducibility, and cross-reactivity. Nima presented a 99.0% true positive rate, with a 95% confidence interval of 97.8%–100%.”
    Gluten Free Watchdog says that:
    “Based on third party testing data, the Nima Sensor fails to detect gluten at the 20 ppm level over 20 percent of the time. It isn’t until a sample contains a level of gluten at the 40 ppm level, that a gluten found result is received close to 100% of the time.” Gluten Free Watchdog suggests that this is a problem, because:
    “At a level of gluten in a sample from less than 2 ppm up to a level of gluten between 30 ppm and 40 ppm, the result displayed on the Nima Sensor may be either smiley face or gluten found. If a sample is tested with a Nima Sensor and the result is a smiley face, there is no practical way for a consumer to know if the level of gluten in the sample is less than or more than 20 ppm. If a sample is tested with a Nima Sensor and the result is gluten found, there is no practical way for a consumer to know if the level of gluten in the sample is less than or more than 20 ppm. As a result, the data point received from the Nima Sensor for gluten presents major interpretation problems.” Gluten Free Watchdog charges that Nima uses “NOT the scientifically validated Ridascreen Gliadin R5 ELISA Mendez Method from R-Biopharm used by Gluten Free Watchdog.” The fact is that R5 Elisa remains the industry standard for most testing applications. 
    Gluten Free Watchdog closes its warning with a word from their independent expert: According to Adrian Rogers, Senior Research Scientist at Romer Labs, “It could be argued that the device is not fit for purpose as the company states that there is a clear differentiation between safe and unsafe products based on a 20 ppm level which the validation data does not corroborate.”
    It’s worth noting that for all his accomplishments, Rogers is neither a doctor, nor a PhD. Rogers' LinkdIn page lists his education as: Bsc (Hons), Microbiology, University of Wales, Aberystwyth. A Bachelor of Science degree may not necessarily make an expert in this subject, yet he is presented as one.
    Rogers also seems to have a potential conflict of interest that was omitted in Thompson’s press release. Directly from Rogers’ LinkdIn site:
    “Romer Labs®, Inc. developed an immunochromatographic lateral flow assay for the qualitative detection of gluten in raw ingredients, processed foods, finished food products, and environmental surfaces, using the G12 antibody developed by Belén Morón. The G12 antibody targets a 33-mer peptide which is resistant to enzymatic digestion and heat denaturation, as well as being the fragment of the gliadin protein to which celiac disease sufferers react, making it a reliable analytical marker.” The company Rogers works for, Romer Labs, makes its own gluten testing kits. It seems a bit disingenuous for Gluten Free Watchdog to use a spokesperson from a potentially competing company to try to counteract a peer-reviewed scientific publication for a device which is made by a potential competitor.
    Nima’s Scientific Advisory Board includes some of the most highly respected celiac disease researchers and scientists in the world. They include: Peter HR Green, MD Phyllis and Ivan Seidenberg Professor of Medicine. Director, Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University; Jody Puglisi, PhD Stanford University Professor of Structural Biology; Lucille Beseler, MS, RDN, LDN, CDE, FAND Family Nutrition Center of South Florida; Benjamin Lebwohl, MD, MS Director of Clinical Research Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University; John Garber, MD Gastroenterology, Mass General; and Thanai Pongdee, MD Consultant, Division of Allergic Diseases, Mayo Clinic.
    Nima says that Gluten Free Watchdog’s view of their recently published validation is incomplete and misleading. Nima wrote:
    “All the studies show Nima is highly sensitive across a range of both low and high levels of gluten." "The Nima third party data accurately reported gluten found at 20 ppm and above between 93.3% for food as prepared (a food item that is spiked with an intended quantity of gluten) and 97.2% for food as quantified by an ELISA lab kit (used to determine the exact ppm of gluten in the food)." "The Nima peer reviewed study published in the Food Chemistry Journal reported gluten found at 20 ppm and above at 96.9% accuracy." The statement that:
    “'Nima will fail to detect gluten at 20 ppm 20% of the time' is almost entirely driven by 1 specific food out of 13 tested. That sample, when quantified, was actually below 20 ppm." "In real life, people get glutened at many different ppm levels, not just 20 ppm. Nima has been shown to detect gluten at levels below, at and above 20 ppm across a variety of foods in a number of studies.” Reading the peer reviewed data provided by Nima, and reading Gluten Free Watchdog’s complaints, it becomes clear that Gluten Free Watchdog’s complaints sound serious and authoritative, but ring a bit hollow. 
    Consider the Following Analogy
    Imagine a gluten-sniffing dog that performed as well as Nima in scientific trials; same performance, same exact data. 
    You can give this dog a sniff, or a small bite of food, and he can signal you if the food’s got gluten in it with 97% accuracy at 20ppm or below. Nearly 100% accuracy at 40ppm or above (as stated by Gluten Free Watchdog).
    People would think that the dog was not only cute and fluffy, but wonderfully helpful and everyone would love it, and everyone with celiac disease would want one. And it would be a great big gushing warm and fuzzy feel-good story. Pretty much no one would be arguing that the dog was potentially dangerous, or somehow unfit for people with celiac disease. Such dogs would also be far more expensive to own and maintain than the Nima device. Apparently such dogs can cost upwards of $16,000, not including the cost of food, vet bills, etc.
    So, what’s the accuracy rate of a gluten-sniffing dog, anyway? From Mercola.com: Willow, a German shorthaired pointer, is another gluten-sniffing dog, in this case living in Michigan. Her owner, Dawn Scheu, says she can detect gluten with 95 percent to 98 percent accuracy. She worked with a trainer (the same one who trained Zeus) to teach her own dog to detect gluten, with excellent results.
    Gluten-sniffing dogs may detect gluten in amounts as small as .0025 parts per million with 95 percent to 98 percent accuracy. So, will Gluten Free Watchdog be warning against gluten-sniffing dogs anytime soon?
    Somehow, because Nima is a mechanical device made by a company, it's not so warm and fuzzy, not so feel-good. Maybe Nima needs to shape their device like a cute little doggy, or a Pez candy dispenser?
    But the data remains, as does the fact, whatever its drawbacks, anything that detects gluten like Nima does, as well as it does, is potentially very helpful for celiac disease in numerous situations. And it is extremely unlikely to do them any harm.
    Nima seems very much committed to transparency, scientific excellence, and continual product improvement. These are noble goals and generally a win for people with celiac disease. Think of it, just ten years ago, a portable gluten-sensor with the kind of accuracy Nima is reliably achieving would have been the stuff of fantasy. Yet here it is. More accurate than any gluten-sniffing dog, and for a couple hundred bucks. People with celiac disease are living in a very different world than just a few years ago.
    Nima did not have to publish its data, but it chose to do so, and in a reputable, peer-reviewed scientific journal. Nima conducted its research using solid scientific standards, and reported those results publicly. They explained their methodology and results, they acknowledged product limitations and expressed a commitment to improvement. How is this remotely controversial?
    The celiac disease community is fortunate to have companies committed to investing time and money into products and devices that help to improve the lives of people with celiac disease. We feel strongly that the perfect should not be the enemy of the good. Devices like the Nima gluten sensor can be helpful for numerous people with celiac disease.  
    Disclosure: Nima is a paid advertiser on Celiac.com. Celiac.com's advertisers do not influence our editorial content. 
    Read Nima’s full report on test data at: Food Chemistry.com Read Gluten Free Watchdog’s Statement on the Nima device at: Glutenfreewatchdog.org Read Nima’s Reply to Gluten Free Watchdog at: Nimasensor.com