This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chicken Feed?

FreeforGood

FreeforGood Newbie

I recently determined through an elimination diet that I am sensitive to chicken (especially dark meat) and eggs. I started wondering what was in chicken feed and found that many contain wheat, barley and/or rye. So far I haven't found a source that doesn't use a feed like that. I would think that the molecule would be altered in the digestive tract of the chicken. On the other hand, it doesn't get digested in OUR digestive tracts, so maybe? Anyone else have a problem with chicken and eggs? Or has anyone ever heard of this being addressed in research?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

It is generally accepted fact that meat is gluten-free regardless of what the animal ate. There a few who dispute this, but no science to back them up. The same applies to eggs.

FreeforGood Newbie

It is generally accepted fact that meat is gluten-free regardless of what the animal ate. There a few who dispute this, but no science to back them up. The same applies to eggs.

Thank you, Peter.

Skylark Collaborator

Most likely you are simply sensitive to chicken. Eggs are a common allergen/food sensitivity too.

newlifeforme Newbie

I eat only cage free eggs. After 6 months gluten free I've finally figured out that these particular eggs need to be washed off. After a couple of times of unexplained gluten symptoms after eating only eggs I realized they had washable "stuff" on the shell of the eggs. Oh well. Once again with this disease. Live and learn. The hard way.

Pauliewog Contributor

I was talking to a local baker one time about eggs. He told me that he noticed his bread had a "fishy" smell to it. He was using regular supermarket eggs and he said the chickens were fed some sort of fish meal (this is in Japan). He switched eggs. The new eggs come from chickens that eat what chickens should eat and now the smell is gone, he said. I have no idea about gluten, but in his case it seems something was getting from the feed to the egg.

JoeBlow Newbie

I recently determined through an elimination diet that I am sensitive to chicken (especially dark meat) and eggs. I started wondering what was in chicken feed and found that many contain wheat, barley and/or rye. So far I haven't found a source that doesn't use a feed like that. I would think that the molecule would be altered in the digestive tract of the chicken. On the other hand, it doesn't get digested in OUR digestive tracts, so maybe? Anyone else have a problem with chicken and eggs? Or has anyone ever heard of this being addressed in research?

I have had a gluten-like reaction with chicken, but not all chicken. I have been told that any liquid that is injected into chicken would be broth containing gluten. So try some expensive fresh organic chicken. The cheep frozen chicken is likely to be injected with broth.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I have been told that any liquid that is injected into chicken would be broth containing gluten.

by whom?????? please post this validated information, thanks! These kinds of statements need scientific or clinical evidence ---so our members with celiac disease get up-to-date validated information.

Skylark Collaborator

I have had a gluten-like reaction with chicken, but not all chicken. I have been told that any liquid that is injected into chicken would be broth containing gluten. So try some expensive fresh organic chicken. The cheep frozen chicken is likely to be injected with broth.

Incorrect. Please stop spreading false rumors about gluten. It's very harmful and confusing to other people on the board. Most plumping solution is saltwater or sodium phosphate. Rarely it's broth, and even more rarely the broth contains gluten.

psawyer Proficient

USDA rules require that any grain added to meat be declared on the label. FDA rules require that packaged food products disclose wheat using the word "wheat."

Broth typically is grain-free, and thus gluten-free. If you know of a specific example where these rules are not followed, please share it with us. PLEASE also tell the USDA or FDA of the violation.

lovegrov Collaborator

"I have been told that any liquid that is injected into chicken would be broth containing gluten."

Absolutely, positively, without question 100 percent false.

richard

JoeBlow Newbie

USDA rules require that any grain added to meat be declared on the label. FDA rules require that packaged food products disclose wheat using the word "wheat."

Broth typically is grain-free, and thus gluten-free. If you know of a specific example where these rules are not followed, please share it with us. PLEASE also tell the USDA or FDA of the violation.

Thanks for clearing that up.

deb445 Rookie

My son and I also react to chicken eggs - although I have had

a difficult time trying to find scientific evidence to prove

it. What I suspect is : the grain feed is processed and

becomes tocopherol - a chemical component of the eggs. (aka vitE)

I have been on a mission to get my own backyard chickens and

do my own experiment. (Still have to get the hens through a

bylaw amendment:)

vickimini Newbie

Just cruising the Failsafe diet again this morning, reading about salicylate/glutamate/amine/histamine intolerance. I know MSG makes me crazy. Could it be that the purported "gluten" injected in poultry is actually MSG? Broth is so often laced with MSG that I always avoid it.

Skylark Collaborator

Just cruising the Failsafe diet again this morning, reading about salicylate/glutamate/amine/histamine intolerance. I know MSG makes me crazy. Could it be that the purported "gluten" injected in poultry is actually MSG? Broth is so often laced with MSG that I always avoid it.

Nope. Plumping solution is usually just sodium phosphate. Chicken skin is a bad thing to eat if you have amine intolerance though.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

My son and I also react to chicken eggs - although I have had

a difficult time trying to find scientific evidence to prove

it. What I suspect is : the grain feed is processed and

becomes tocopherol - a chemical component of the eggs. (aka vitE)

I have been on a mission to get my own backyard chickens and

do my own experiment. (Still have to get the hens through a

bylaw amendment:)

I react to extremely trace amounts of gluten and don't react to eggs. I tried Eggland's Best brand, which is fed a high soy feed and reacted to the soy. Soy came through to the egg.

I wish I could have chickens here. It would be nice to be able to control what they're fed.

The man that does my lawn has chickens and says they eat all sorts of kitchen scraps, like vegetable peelings, etc.

His know that when he lifts the landscape rocks there's likely to be a worm or bug there and rush over to see what they can get. He says they're lots of fun. I hope it works out so you can get some. :D

Archived