This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying A Gluten Free Diet

Rob-

Rob- Newbie

I have a couple of quick questions regarding going gluten free. I have not been diagnosed but my doctor suggested I try cutting out gluten to see if that makes a difference since it was better than going for a biopsy. He didn't seem too interested about testing my blood work for gluten issues. He had sent me for lactose intolerance tests which came back inconclusive. I had complained of bloating, gastro. issues, brain fog and fatigue. He is now arranging blood tests to check my B12, Iron, Calcium, etc. levels.

So I have [hopefully] been gluten free for a few days now. I was a little irritable the first day or two (sorry hun) and felt tired though different kind of tiredness to the fatigue I was complaining about. Perhaps others here can understand the difference I am talking about?

It used to feel like my lower stomach was fermenting. Since going gluten free I have since felt a stomach pain at the top of my stomach. It almost feels like a build up of gas and is remaining constant. I am starting to feel constipated too. Whether that is from cutting gluten out or the slight diet change I'm not sure. Is this all normal and likely to pass soon? I do have the feeling of mental clarity right now. I don't feel as fatigued and when I get up I start cleaning the house as I have the energy to do that before work whereas before it was a sluggish chore after work that had to be done.

Thanks for reading and any feedback would be much appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

peacefirst Rookie

So I have [hopefully] been gluten free for a few days now. I was a little irritable the first day or two (sorry hun) and felt tired though different kind of tiredness to the fatigue I was complaining about. Perhaps others here can understand the difference I am talking about?

It used to feel like my lower stomach was fermenting. Since going gluten free I have since felt a stomach pain at the top of my stomach. It almost feels like a build up of gas and is remaining constant. I am starting to feel constipated too. Whether that is from cutting gluten out or the slight diet change I'm not sure. Is this all normal and likely to pass soon? I do have the feeling of mental clarity right now. I don't feel as fatigued and when I get up I start cleaning the house as I have the energy to do that before work whereas before it was a sluggish chore after work that had to be done.

Thanks for reading and any feedback would be much appreciated.

I think your symptoms are quite usual detox symptoms -in this case from gluten.Detoxing is a weird thing -some hours you are full of energy and some you are weak and tired-it depends on what detox stage your body is in - dumping toxins in your blood or getting it out with sweat, urine, stools, etc. You could help your intestines with enema or laxative herbs at the beginning. Irritation is quite usual too, it will pass. :D

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Rob,

It may take a few months for your body to adapt to the gluten-free diet, Lots of things are changing in your gut when it heals. There are also potential withdrawal symptoms to deal with. Whle foods are your freind a the begging. cross-contamination is a real problem that we need to learn about. Something as simple as sharing a mayo jar with someone eating gluten can be a problem. Shared toasters are another one. Eating out at restraunts is risky and should be avoided at first. It is better to take your lunch with you.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.

Don't eat in restaurants

Eat only whole foods not processed foods.

Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Take probiotics.

Take digestive enzymes.

Avoid dairy.

Avoid sugars and starchy foods.

Avoid alcohol.

FAQ Celiac com

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum-7/announcement-3-frequently-asked-questions-about-celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101

What's For Breakfast Today?

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

What Are You Cooking Tonight?

Dessert thread

Easy yummy bread in minutes

How bad is cheating?

Short temper thread

Non celiac wheat sensitivity article

Open Original Shared Link

bartfull Rising Star

Did anyone else notice this: "I don't feel as fatigued and when I get up I start cleaning the house as I have the energy to do that before work" ?

Rob, do you have a brother? And can he cook? I NEED someone like that! :lol:

MitziG Enthusiast

Your doctor may not be interested in testing you for celiac, but YOU need to be. You need to know if you have it. Sticking to a gluten-free diet for the rest of your life without ever cheating is not something to commit to without knowing you have to. If you have celiac, you HAVE to. Start eating gluten again, insist on a full celiac panel. If your tests come out negative, THEN resume to gluten-free diet. But you need to rule out celiac if you can first.

ciamarie Rookie

Did anyone else notice this: "I don't feel as fatigued and when I get up I start cleaning the house as I have the energy to do that before work" ?

Rob, do you have a brother? And can he cook? I NEED someone like that! :lol:

Me too! Though I'm good with the cooking, it's the cleaning up afterward (with no dishwasher) that I'm not a fan of...

btw, welcome Rob! You and my nephew share the same 1st name, apparently. :) I did want to mention, just in case your doctor didn't know; that IF you think you'll want to do the full gamut of celiac tests, it's best to do it before you try a gluten-free diet. You have to be eating gluten for at least 2-3 months I believe it is, in order for the tests to have any hope of being accurate. IF you have a gluten intolerance, going back to eating gluten to be tested would probably make you too miserable to get tested. Just fyi.

tom Contributor

You have to be eating gluten for at least 2-3 months I believe it is, in order for the tests to have any hope of being accurate.

Well that's overstating it quite a bit isn't it?

Celiacs are diagnosed all the time w/ less than "at least 2-3 months".

In the last thread where this came up, there was only one celiac center acknowledged to still be doing 3 months, and one recently-dx'd member chimed in that her challenge was only 2 weeks, but yielded positive blood tests.

Clearly, using the phrase "to have any hope" is an exagerration in that statement.

P.S. Not thrilled that I feel compelled to add that I hope this isn't taken as a personal attack. It's not one.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciamarie Rookie

Hi tom, No worries about contradicting my statement. I must have missed the more recent developments. On the other hand, I have also seen plenty of very recent threads where someone had negative test results before going starting a gluten-free diet, but had great improvement on a gluten-free diet despite negative tests. And results in between, of course. That's why I used the 'to have any hope' statement.

Archived