Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Vitamin D Suppliments-How Much?

9 posts in this topic

I have been ready a TON about how type 1 diabetes may be linked to a Vitamin D def. My husband has type 1 and my daughter has celiac. She has both the DQ2 and DQ8 like he does and so, we can't rule out future diabetes. He was 19 at diagnosis and she is 12. Anyway, I know low vit D can accompany celiac. How much vitamin D are you giving your kids? The artical said the 400mg recomendation for kids is wayyyy too low. But it didn't really ever give a number. I am giving her 1,000 mg and I wonder if that's even enough. Do any of you do more than that?

We do 1000-2000 UI per day in supplements on top of whatever is in the food and multivitamin. We're in Canada so I KNOW thery're not making any D now. LOL

Sublingual D3 tablets, or D3 drops, are usually the best way to go because the D is better absorbed from your mouth than your gut. This is generally true for vitamin B12 and zinc as well.

Best wishes.

I take 4000 IU and my kids take 2000 IU and the baby takes 1000 IU. I am thinking the baby can move up to 2000 IU now that he's over 1.

I've been giving my 5 yr old 1000 IU of D3, and he is still slightly deficient.

My 5 yo gets 1000-2000, and 500 in multi. 8 yo (celiac) gets 2000 in drops and 500 extra in multi- she was low at 27 time of diagnosis.

Hubby and I take 6000 daily, both low.

Best thing is to know your levels- no one should follow the minuscule 400 unit suggestion, horribly outdated!!! As a general rule, at least 1000 per 25 lbs.

I agree with Mom-of-Two: if you can, try to get her levels tested. Sometimes mega-dosing is the only way to get levels up (if they are real low), but in that case it is super important to know where she "started."

I just spoke to our celiac doctor today. Joe's test found him to be low in D (not unusual in Boston in January) and she recommended 2000 units a day for the rest of the winter. If he tests normal in a few months we can reduce it. May have to bump it up again in the fall when the weather changes again.

cara

My 8 yo was low on vitamin D (27) with her celiac labs- today was her 6 month follow up and I'm happy to say she's now at 53 :) the GI doc fully believes she wasn't absorbing the vitamin D before and with the gluten-free diet past 6 months she's absorbing so much better- she gets 2500 units per day.