Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shadowicewolf

I Need Some Ideas...

Before i went gluten free, for example, i loved cous cous. How would i replicate this?

What about beef stroganoff or something similar? I recently lost onions and butter (but i have no issues with milk or cheese). Any ideas?

I'll probably post back with more when i think of more.

i sub brown rice for cous cous - my husband likes the 'delallo' orzo as a sub also.  hmmmm - just onions?  can you do any sort of onion?  is garlic included?  shallots?   how about just leave the onions out of stroganoff and see how it turns out>  i ususally cook mine for hours, anyway..   i use canola oil or olive oil  instead of butter to brown the meat, anyway..........

Amaranth, millet, and Quinoa  make a great substitute.  Beef stroganoff can be made with potato starch and I substitute rice instead of noodles.  Or I use rice pasta for the noodles. 

I always loved the texture of couscous and quinoa fills that gap for me.  Cooks about the same, too.

I've heard people use cauliflower and break it down in the food processor to make it a cous-cous texture. I've never tried it though.. I think you can google the cauliflower cous-cous and there are tons of recipes.

I substituted hulled millet in cous-cous recipes with good success.  Same approximate size and texture.  And here's a recipe for that:

Sear the millet in a few T of olive oil until you get it to a number of different shades of brown, then cook it.  Let it cool and add:

Chopped celery

chopped scallions

shredded carrots

cashews or almonds

Mix and add:

1/4 c lemon juice

1/2 c olive oil

1 t cinnamon

a pinch of curry powder

1/2 t coriander

salt

pepper