Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missbean

Deaminated Iga

If my delaminated antigliandin IGA was 26, a weak positive, what are the chances of having celiacs. Other lab tests negative. What else would this positive test indicate beside immune response to gluten?

What other tests did they do? That test isn't the best test to run for Celiac but I know a lot of labs seem to pad their Celiac panel with it. I guess they can charge more?

You should be eating some gluten everyday if you are still getting checked for Celiac disease.

The only positive on my panel was Deaminated antigliandin IGA. It was 26, a weak positive. What are the chances I have celiacs or a gluten sensitivity? What else could a positive result indicate? Had diarrhea alternating with constipation for a few months. Lots of mucous in stool. Bloating and cramping. Rash on face for 10 years told it was rosecea at the time. Tried to come off gluten for about 2 weeks now. I do feel somewhat better and face is clearing up. Colonoscopy and endoscopy in a month. I know I need to tell doctor I came off gluten. I don't want to go back on it. So anyway, what does that positive lab result mean?

All of them I guess. That was the only one I was interested in since it was positive. What does it mean I am positive for?

It would be helpful if you posted the results of all of the Celiac tests that were run as well as the lab range. Then we could take a look and tell you more. 

let's try this again. - What Celiac tests did they actually take?  I find it odd that they used this old test so I am wondering if they really did a more accurate Celiac test.  That's why we ask.  It is always a good idea to get copies of any tests or procedures you have done - Celiac or otherwise.  Unfortunately, patients need to keep an eye on their own health.  

This is not an old test! the DGP test is the newest kind of tests. There are many discussions about the DGP tests, and often it is the DGP-IgG that is discussed.

Karen, I thought the deaminated testing was the newest?

SOrry. Read that wrong. Still would be good to know what else they tested for. Also, stay on gluten for the endo

they have that test listed strangely since it's called "deamidated antigliadin IGA."  the older test is the antigliadin antibody test (AGA), but the newer more accurate test is the deamidated gliadin peptide (DGP) test.  It appears that the newer DGP test was run, but with the lab name and reference ranges listed it would make things easier  ;)

here is a list of a comprehensive blood panel.  be sure to take a look at the PDF file that has stats on the specific tests, and keep eating gluten until all testing is complete!

Comprehensive Celiac Panel:

DGP iga/igg

ttg iga/igg

EMA

Total iga serum-this is a control test to make sure you make enough iga to validate the other testing

check out page 12 in this report for testing information:

http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

Mine was a weak positive.  My endo/biopsy showed moderate to severe damage (Marsh Stage III B).  I viewed my blood test as proving I had celiac disease.  In the meantime while waiting seven weeks for my endo, I ate gluten like crazy.  By the end of those gluten-filled weeks, I was ready to give up gluten for life.  I still went through a grieving process and I'm still a little sad about having to constantly plan meals and losing the ability to stop by any old restaurant on a whim!  The good news is that I'm feeling great, so it's worth it!

The only positive on my panel was Deaminated antigliandin IGA. It was 26, a weak positive. What are the chances I have celiacs or a gluten sensitivity? What else could a positive result indicate? Had diarrhea alternating with constipation for a few months. Lots of mucous in stool. Bloating and cramping. Rash on face for 10 years told it was rosecea at the time. Tried to come off gluten for about 2 weeks now. I do feel somewhat better and face is clearing up. Colonoscopy and endoscopy in a month. I know I need to tell doctor I came off gluten. I don't want to go back on it. So anyway, what does that positive lab result mean?

Since you said you are borderline, it might be best to go forward with the endoscopy and colonoscopy to get a definite diagnosis and to know just how much damage you may have.  I had gone in for a routine colonoscopy (over 50 yeah!) and the GI suggested an endoscopy because he suspected celiac disease based on my thyroid and anemia issues.  

You should get back on gluten until those tests are completed.  

As far as the Rosacea, I have it (dx in 1993) and found that many foods triggered my symptoms.  Wine (sulfites/tannins), my garlic and other food  intolerances, etc. usually triggered a breakout.  Eliminating gluten just in two weeks has probably calmed down the "fire" (inflammation) that also triggers Rosacea for you.  That's great!  

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do!

Mine was a weak positive.  My endo/biopsy showed moderate to severe damage (Marsh Stage III B).  I viewed my blood test as proving I had celiac disease.  In the meantime while waiting seven weeks for my endo, I ate gluten like crazy.  By the end of those gluten-filled weeks, I was ready to give up gluten for life.  I still went through a grieving process and I'm still a little sad about having to constantly plan meals and losing the ability to stop by any old restaurant on a whim!  The good news is that I'm feeling great, so it's worth it!

wow. What was your Deaminated antigliandin IGA number? Mine was 26