Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

icelandgirl

2 Weeks In...still Having The Big D...am I Expecting Too Much?

Rate this topic

Hello all...

I'm 2 weeks gluten free now. I do notice I'm not as tired...yay! My initial feeling like I was starving to death hunger is gone too.

But...Every morning. ..I get the big D...All morning pretty much. Then it's ok the rest of the day and the next day I start again. Is this normal? Has it taken anyone a while to get rid of this annoying symptom? I started taking citrucel 2 days ago hoping to bulk things up.

I've only eaten at home...things I cook myself and have verified that my medications and supplements are Gluten-Free too.

I would love to hear from anyone who's been there and what helped you to make it better.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Have you changed appropriate Kitchen items ie: toaster, wooden items etc. Go over the Newbie 101 thread again.  Also, you may still be healing.  Did your endoscope show extensive damage?  Are you taking a good probiotic?  Hang in there, some things take longer to resolve if there has been more long term damage.  Some of us still are seeing improvement over 1 year in.

Colleen

Do you drink Coffee or tea? I noticed when I go to my daughters house I drink tea and right away I have "D" It is because of the Caffeine I drink Earl Grey tea at home it is low caffeine.Do you put cream in your coffee? It could be Lactose causing it.  It took me a while to figure it out. I am so sensitive to caffeine since I am gluten-free and CF. Good luck I hope you figure it out. That and it just takes a while to heal. @ 2 weeks :) Good for you! So far :) 

I would make sure there isn't something that you always eat/drink in the morning that you don't at other times, or only sparingly at other times. I agree the most likely thing here is coffee, which is gluten free but simply is not gentle on your guts. If you can eliminate any such possibility and have reviewed kitchen habits like Colleen says, it may be time to just wait. It took me a year until I pooped regularly every day, 7 days a week. That isn't to say that in that year things didn't slowly improve, but it takes time. It didn't take two weeks for you to end up with your guts so messed up, as hard as it is to accept, you're going to have to exercise a lot of patience while you heal.

I have purchased a new toaster, cutting board and wooden spoons.

I do drink coffee in the morning...but the D starts as soon as I wake up. I went several times this morning before having coffee.

I'm sure that patience is what I need more of. Expecting results in 2 weeks I'm sure isn't reasonable but I couldn't help hoping. Also...everyone around me looms at me so hopefully asking...are you feeling better. The pressure!

Those people need to know that this is not a quick fix.  It takes months and possibly years to keep seeing improvements.  You will begin to notice things that you didn't even know were adding to the sickness improve.  Just make sure you don't have any underlying issues that may need additional if not temporary medical attention.  I don't recall from your past posts but have you had your thyroid looked at?  This can also cause stool issues.  Also try to limit processed foods, it is easier on the stomach and start a probiotic if you haven't already.  And yes, patience is a must  :)

Colleen

Those people need to know that this is not a quick fix.  It takes months and possibly years to keep seeing improvements.  You will begin to notice things that you didn't even know were adding to the sickness improve.  Just make sure you don't have any underlying issues that may need additional if not temporary medical attention.  I don't recall from your past posts but have you had your thyroid looked at?  This can also cause stool issues.  Also try to limit processed foods, it is easier on the stomach and start a probiotic if you haven't already.  And yes, patience is a must  :)

Colleen

Thanks, Colleen. I've been hypothyroid since 2001. My Dr. checked all that just recently and it looked good. I am on a probiotic. To be honest...I'm not that patient...sigh. need to work on that.

Do you remember how long after going gluten free you started to really feel better? For the big D to start getting better?

When I found out I was corn intolerant it was from eating Corn chips the night before. I'd wake up in pain bloating and "D" 1st thing in the Am. Thr reason I am saying this is because if it is the 1st thing that happens in the AM could be something you ate the night before. 

When I found out I was corn intolerant it was from eating Corn chips the night before. I'd wake up in pain bloating and "D" 1st thing in the Am. Thr reason I am saying this is because if it is the 1st thing that happens in the AM could be something you ate the night before.

The problem is that it's every morning and I don't eat the same thing every night for sure. Hmmm...

Thanks, Colleen. I've been hypothyroid since 2001. My Dr. checked all that just recently and it looked good. I am on a probiotic. To be honest...I'm not that patient...sigh. need to work on that.

Do you remember how long after going gluten free you started to really feel better? For the big D to start getting better?

My, 2 years so far, recovery took many stages.  Some of us here were 25-30 years un-diagnosed so our recovery has been long and on-going.  For me personally, the pain from eating every meal diminished first.  Over the weeks and months migraines slowed down, skin sensitivity was more tolerable, body and joint pain became better.  Over a year into it my brain stepped into high gear and I could think clearer, my bi-polar depression has become manageable.  I am still rebuilding muscle and tweaking my diet.  My auto immune system has only recently calmed all the way down.  Don't get me wrong, most people see more immediate results but for some of us who had so much damage to begin with the path to health is long and hard.  I never had D problems, mine were C issues.  Because of so many years of that I had to have a hemorrhoidectomy, not pleasant.  All in all I have had a slow but progressive recovery, my recovery was also interrupted by a cancer diagnosis so it may be longer than most.  I think I was on about 15 meds at diagnosis that included pain meds, steroids, anti-anxiety, anti-depressants etc.  Now I only take my thyroid med, one anti-depressant and two supplements.  In my eyes, I went from hobbling around in pain to living a normal life.  

This is how I started my gluten free life.  I was afraid to eat at that point because of the pain so I started with juicing for 1 month.  That settled things down to a more tolerable level.  I then began to add whole foods in paying attention not to eat very much processed food.  I very rarely eat out, and I have strick rules I use before deciding if I will actually eat there or just have a beverage and a snack from home.  I have a shared kitchen so I am very diligent and have rules in place for all family members.  It work for me but not all have luck doing a shared kitchen.  

This new life takes a lot of energy getting going but once you have everything in place then it just become living again.  You will get there, just be patient and let it happen at its own pace.  Do everything you can to help it along, keep taking fiber, adjust your foods to whole foods and make sure they are easily digestable and drink a whole lot of water.  You may find a digestive enzyme may help too.

Hang in there, we will help you along :)

Colleen

Are you going with mostly whole unprocessed foods like fresh meats, veggies and fruits, rice, potatoes and keeping gluten free specialty foods like bread, cookies etc. to a minimum? That is the safest way to go if you can. Some of us have trouble with some gluten free ingredients. My body doesn't like soy or sorgum, as an example, and many of us don't tolerate dairy products at first. If you are in a country that considers Codex wheat starchto be safe be aware that many of us do not tolerate it so do avoid it.

Also are you living with folks that eat gluten? If so make sure no one is using stuff like nut butters, jams, butter etc. that you are also using. If you have a significant other and they eat or drink gluten do make sure they brush their teeth before you do any kissing.

I hope things improve for you soon.

Are you going with mostly whole unprocessed foods like fresh meats, veggies and fruits, rice, potatoes and keeping gluten free specialty foods like bread, cookies etc. to a minimum? That is the safest way to go if you can. Some of us have trouble with some gluten free ingredients. My body doesn't like soy or sorgum, as an example, and many of us don't tolerate dairy products at first. If you are in a country that considers Codex wheat starchto be safe be aware that many of us do not tolerate it so do avoid it.

Also are you living with folks that eat gluten? If so make sure no one is using stuff like nut butters, jams, butter etc. that you are also using. If you have a significant other and they eat or drink gluten do make sure they brush their teeth before you do any kissing.

I hope things improve for you soon.

Raven, thank you for your response. I have been eating mostly whole foods. And I'm lucky, my husband went gluten free with me. So. ..I really believe I'm not getting any gluten. I do notice an increasing in energy and decrease in headaches. The D is just getting so old. Maybe 2 weeks isn't enough and I need to give it more time. Did your GI issues resolve right away?

Raven, thank you for your response. I have been eating mostly whole foods. And I'm lucky, my husband went gluten free with me. So. ..I really believe I'm not getting any gluten. I do notice an increasing in energy and decrease in headaches. The D is just getting so old. Maybe 2 weeks isn't enough and I need to give it more time. Did your GI issues resolve right away?

I was fortunate and the D did stop quickly for me except for times when I consumed soy or sorgum. That may not be the case for everyone though.

You mentioned you are taking some prescription meds and supplements. Do check with your pharmacist to see if any scripts might have D as a side effect. Also some supplements will state they are gluten free but still contain wheat or barley grass and those can be a problem for us so do be sure to read the ingredients on all supplements even if the label states gluten free.

If this continues for more than another couple weeks do contact your doctor to make sure there isn't something else going on in addition to the celiac.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this stops soon as your morning routine was the one I lived with for many years and I know it is not fun.

You've probably seen this list below in the past Icelandgirl.  But just in case, here it is again.

You are right, 2 weeks is too soon to expect things to be back to normal.  The autoimmune reaction doesn't stop in a day, and could keep going for months in some people.  My symptoms from glutenings would last for 4 to 6 weeks at times.  Others have reported similar times for reactions.  You are also in the healing process and that just plain takes time.  Continuing symptoms are great incentive though to pay strict attention to your diet and learning about staying safely gluten-free.  So look, frown turned all upside down! :)

While you are healing, your digestion is likely to be unsettled and easily upset.  Your villi need to regrow and begin making enzymes that help your digestion.  The bacteria that colonize your gut are finding a different living environment.  Different food, plus the new villi growth provides more surface area for them to colonize.  So there is an increase in bacteria.  Taking pro-biotics can help.  Also avoiding sugars and carbs for a while.  Carbs turn into sugars and feed the bacteria.  We need bacteria but in reasonable numbers and a healthy balance.

Anything that is irritating to the gut should be avoided.  Spicy foods like hot peppers for instance may be a bad idea for a while.  Dairy can often cause problems for new gluten-free dieters also.  You can try adding a teaspoon of psyllium husks to your food once in a while to create bulk.  But make sure you don't overdo it and drink plenty of water also.

Think about keeping your diet simple, basic, plain, boring and easy to digest for now.  You can always expand and experiment with more interesting foods once you have recovered some.

It's also a good idea to periodically review everything that you are consuming, even if you believe it is all safe.  Sometimes the only way to know if a certain product is bothering you is to eliminate it for awhile.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy if it causes symptoms.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods. They can cause bloating.
Avoid alcohol.
Watch out for cross contamination.

You've probably seen this list below in the past Icelandgirl.  But just in case, here it is again.

You are right, 2 weeks is too soon to expect things to be back to normal.  The autoimmune reaction doesn't stop in a day, and could keep going for months in some people.  My symptoms from glutenings would last for 4 to 6 weeks at times.  Others have reported similar times for reactions.  You are also in the healing process and that just plain takes time.  Continuing symptoms are great incentive though to pay strict attention to your diet and learning about staying safely gluten-free.  So look, frown turned all upside down! :)

While you are healing, your digestion is likely to be unsettled and easily upset.  Your villi need to regrow and begin making enzymes that help your digestion.  The bacteria that colonize your gut are finding a different living environment.  Different food, plus the new villi growth provides more surface area for them to colonize.  So there is an increase in bacteria.  Taking pro-biotics can help.  Also avoiding sugars and carbs for a while.  Carbs turn into sugars and feed the bacteria.  We need bacteria but in reasonable numbers and a healthy balance.

Anything that is irritating to the gut should be avoided.  Spicy foods like hot peppers for instance may be a bad idea for a while.  Dairy can often cause problems for new gluten-free dieters also.  You can try adding a teaspoon of psyllium husks to your food once in a while to create bulk.  But make sure you don't overdo it and drink plenty of water also.

Think about keeping your diet simple, basic, plain, boring and easy to digest for now.  You can always expand and experiment with more interesting foods once you have recovered some.

It's also a good idea to periodically review everything that you are consuming, even if you believe it is all safe.  Sometimes the only way to know if a certain product is bothering you is to eliminate it for awhile.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.

Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.

Don't eat in restaurants

Eat only whole foods not processed foods.

Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Take probiotics.

Take gluten-free vitamins.

Take digestive enzymes.

Avoid dairy if it causes symptoms.

Avoid sugars and starchy foods. They can cause bloating.

Avoid alcohol.

Watch out for cross contamination.

Thank you...that helps a lot. I really appreciate all of the support.

It took me a solid 7 weeks before I got rid of the D. At first, it went from 5-8x/day to 1-3x, then started to firm up. Somewhere in there, I ate quinoa, and I thought I would die. That caused another spike which may have set me back. I was fine for a couple weeks, then tried this damned gluten-free beer that set me back another 3 weeks. Now, I'm having inexplicable stomach pain, reflux and heartburn, and have cut out every freaking food except rice and chicken. I'm ready to shoot myself out of pure boredom, but the pain has gone away and the D turned to C. Hooray. I hope you have better luck!

My advice: keep a food diary. There's an app for that (I use My Symptoms, there was another thread here about a different one called 'poop log' that made me laugh too hard to use). Try to correlate symptoms to what you eat and eliminate the bad stuff.

It took me a solid 7 weeks before I got rid of the D. At first, it went from 5-8x/day to 1-3x, then started to firm up. Somewhere in there, I ate quinoa, and I thought I would die. That caused another spike which may have set me back. I was fine for a couple weeks, then tried this damned gluten-free beer that set me back another 3 weeks. Now, I'm having inexplicable stomach pain, reflux and heartburn, and have cut out every freaking food except rice and chicken. I'm ready to shoot myself out of pure boredom, but the pain has gone away and the D turned to C. Hooray. I hope you have better luck! My advice: keep a food diary. There's an app for that (I use My Symptoms, there was another thread here about a different one called 'poop log' that made me laugh too hard to use). Try to correlate symptoms to what you eat and eliminate the bad stuff.

I actually had my first day without D on Tuesday. Then yesterday I had surgery to remove my gallbladder and polyps from my uterus. So...we'll see how it goes. I was really excited on Tuesday.

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having. Only being able to eat chicken and rice isn't fun. Do you think something else is going on?

I actually had my first day without D on Tuesday. Then yesterday I had surgery to remove my gallbladder and polyps from my uterus. So...we'll see how it goes. I was really excited on Tuesday.

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having. Only being able to eat chicken and rice isn't fun. Do you think something else is going on?

Oh surgery is never fun. I hope you feel better soon. I think I may have gotten something from the chicken - I felt icky right after eating it.

I agree with the food/symptom diary.  You can try eliminating individual foods for a week at a time to see if there is something or many somethings in particular causing your problems.  Keep track of what the food is, and what the source of it is.  I need to do that to track what I can and cannot eat.  Sometimes I start having symptoms again and that is what I do to determine the culprit.  It is a long but effective process.