Nebraskamommy

Do Soy, Corn And Dairy Allergies Also Cause Villi Damage?

Rate this topic

I've done a little Google searching on this topic and i've found that other food allergies can also cause damaged villi. Is is possible that Celiac is on the rise because Drs are using the scope as the gold standard to diagnose  but their damange is actually caused by corn, dairy or soy?

Thoughts?

As far as I know, allergies do not cause intestinal villi damage although some food intolerances can.  I do not know about soy and corn, but casein, a protein in milk, can cause villi damage in some but I don't believe it is as extensive as those with celiac disease though.  I do not know much about this, hopefully someone else knows (much) more.

Scoping is usually done along with blood tests, most of which are very specific to celiac disease. I would guess that it is a rare positive scope, accompanied by positive tests, that is actually a false positive for celiac disease.

Best wishes.

From the little I've read on this, it sounds like in some cases it can but generally not quite to the same degree as celiac. More than likely if you are Marsh level 3 it's probably not an allergy. There isn't much out there on this subject, that I was able to find, so take that for what it is.