Amberzak

So Hungry

Rate this topic

Hi.

I'm still going through the diagnosis, so eating a little bit of gluten each day. But I've been mainly gluten free (having two slices of bread a day).

I used to eat so much gluten. Like all the time. One thing I've noticed (other than feeling quite well have having good control of my sugars as I'm a type one diabetic) is that I am so so hungry. I can't stop eating. Is this normal, even when still having to eat a little bit of gluten for the tests.

When I eat high carbs, my appetite goes up - could that be it?

When your intestines are damaged, you do not absorb food as well and malnourishment can happen.  It's possible that once you heal your appetite will drop.

Eat more fat and protein even while you are doing a gluten challenge. I am a diabetic (not typed yet) and I eat a low carb-high fat diet. Eat fish, meats, oils, cheese (though new celiacs often have issues with dairy temporarily due to intestinal damage), add coconut oil to your coffee, add butter to your veggies. Lots of olive oil on your greens. Fat will not affect your blood sugar. Test it out on your meter.

Your body needs more food now. Feed it!

That's my two cents!

Take care!

Thanks for all the comments.

I do eat a lot of carbs. Insulin dependents are discouraged from going low carb in my area, and I wouldn't want to to be honest. Potatoes are my life. :)

I will try as you say. The only thing is I've been trying to lose weight because my husband and I want to try for a baby.

I don't seem to be having any problems with dairy (but then I don't eat a great deal of dairy anyway) but I did buy some gluten free and milk free porridge and had that last night. That seemed to fill me up.

Strangely I haven't had the depression on the foods I won't be able to eat thing yet. I've found replacement for most food I eat. The only thing I will miss is eating out as I bet that will be difficult. (I'm ridiculously fussy at the best of times)

Hi Amberzak,

Here's a good diabetes forum you might like.  The people there often recommend low carb diets.

http://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php

I think Dr. Peter Green's book recommends waiting 6 months after going gluten-free before trying for a baby.  Your body needs some time to recover from celiac damage and build-up stores of vitamins and minerals.

Some people on the forum have reported being more hungry after going gluten-free.  I know I was very hungry for a while after going gluten-free.  But the hunger tapered off after a while.