ezgoindude

Anyone's Doctor Know Why You Can Eat As Much Fat As I Want, Have A Normal Fecal Fat Test But Not Gain Weight?!?

Rate this topic

Here's my scenario, on my unusually bad days where I feel like I'm a hassle I grab my almond butter jar and go to town. In one of my lower moments I ate an entire jar of almond butter while watching TV movies for several hours....

And no reflection of that into weight gain?!?

My theory is the fat is broken down that the fecal fat test doesn't pick up? And I crap it all out anyway since it still isn't absorbed?

Just off how things work sometimes...

From what I know, it isn't fat that makes us fat, it's sugar (and starches).  If you ate 2500 calories a day and at least half was fat, I doubt you'd gain but if half was from sugar and starch, I bet you'd pack on a few.

Fat is good for you, sugar...not so much.  That's just what I have read and interpreted over my years.  That low fat diet from the 80's was evil!

It is my understanding that fat malabsorption is a side effect of celiac, so if its not getting digested its not turning into fat. But, it will cause digestive issues because it hangs around for a long time in your stomach waiting to get broken down. Low fat diets never helped me  lose weight, only low carb. It wasn't until recently I concluded it wasny the carbs it was the gluten in the bread mostly. BTW rice is great-and doesn't cause bloating.

Hi Ez,

I agree with NVS (Nicole).  It's really the carbs that are bad for weight gain.  If you check out a glycemic index you;ll see that some foods are very much higher than others on the glycemic scale.  Those foods are the carbs, sugars, rice, fruits etc.  Which means they turn into glucose much faster than meats and fats, which are low glycemic index foods.  Glucose is sugar in the bloodstream.  If the glucose is not burned or excreted it is stored as fat.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

Thanks for the replies guys,

With my current dilemma is that I'm actually trying to gain weight,  I would feel alot more confident about myself if I could put on about 12 - 15 pounds. 

makes sense that the sugar and carbs would be broken down quicker and thus quicker to add as fat,  I'm completely content with eating large quantities of sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash instead of the almond butter,  I mean I'm having to make all my meals at home at this point.

Carbs and fruit it is!! Its been an uphill challenge eating paleo but not being able to tolerate eggs or bacon at this time..... so sad

What do you mean "gain weight"? Bulk up on muscle or acquire a spare tire?

If you want to build muscle, then eat more protein. I eat it at every meal otherwise, I would not have the strength to ride my bike. I consume more when I am training. Nut Butters and sweet potatoes is not going to get you there.

What do you eat on a daily basis?

I should say muscle but at this point i would even take fat around the edges just so I can say I could. 

kk, considering I may have an eosinophilic reaction some foods (beyond NCGI),  my current day looks like:

Breakfast smoothie ( Blueberries, kale, almond butter, almond milk,  little honey )

Lunch  -  grilled chicken with greens or veggies (veggies could be zucchini, squash, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrots )

Dinner - Chicken or Beef with veggies or something like spaghetti squash, butternut squash, or sweet potato fries.

Throughout the day my snacks would be almonds, almond butter or leftover chicken with salad.

I've tried different types of grains here and there this year and they run right through me, don't think my body is ready for that just yet.  I would guess my only drawback is I've never actually added the amount of protein im eating in a day.......

I'm 25 5'10". Before symptoms were serious last year I was always around 165, I now gravitate towards 138-140 pounds.

Im currently on day 4 of an elimination diet, I'm thinkin maybe I'll increase my level of baked sweet potato to twice a day? (Baked sweet potatoes my body apparently handles extremely we'll...)