Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mebrown5

Stool Results Vs. Seeing Gastrointestinologist

Hi there,

I was just diagnosed from stool samples as celiac a week ago. The doctor told me i have one of the highest + numbers hes seen in a while and therefore i could go see a gastrointestinologist however i would have to remain eating gluten for the next couple weeks and with almost all certainty he could say i have it and he didn't find it all that necessary.

I was just wondering peoples thoughts on that?

Just as a side note: was having diarrhea 3-4 times a day, extreme stomach cramping, bloating and constantly was tired.

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am not sure how you could be diagnosed with Celiac by a stool test? I would suggest you continue eating gluten and see a GI if you want a diagnosis of Celiac. I would think you would want to know for sure before you make this change to your life?

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/?s=stool&submit=Search Why don’t you recognize tests (stool tests or otherwise) for non-celiac gluten sensitivity that are currently available through companies like Enterolab or Cyrex?

We only embrace tests that have endured rigorous scientific evaluations. So far, these tests have received no evidence-based support.....

Join eNewsletter

Looking back over my results and stuff i now realize it was from the blood work (should have looked before posting  :wacko:  :blink: - i had lots of testing done, most of it through stool samples so i just assumed)

Still though through blood work is that enough to guarantee and say that i am celiac?

My doctor told me id have to continue to eat gluten if i wanted to go to gastrointestinologist and ive already cut that out and feel better so im a little hard pressed to go that route

Join eNewsletter

Looking back over my results and stuff i now realize it was from the blood work (should have looked before posting  :wacko:  :blink: - i had lots of testing done, most of it through stool samples so i just assumed)

Still though through blood work is that enough to guarantee and say that i am celiac?

My doctor told me id have to continue to eat gluten if i wanted to go to gastrointestinologist and ive already cut that out and feel better so im a little hard pressed to go that route

What Celiac blood tests did you have?  When you said "stool tests" to diagnoses Celiac, I assumed you didn't go to an actual MD.  IF you did not go to an MD, the "blood tests" may not be reliable, either.

Join eNewsletter

What Celiac blood tests did you have?  When you said "stool tests" to diagnoses Celiac, I assumed you didn't go to an actual MD.  IF you did not go to an MD, the "blood tests" may not be reliable, either.

I went to an actual MD, who then sent me to a lifelabs clinic to get all my blood work and stool samples done (as they always do here in my part of Canada for anything). He was testing for a couple things because he was unsure of what i might have as i have crohn's, celiac and other auto-immune dieases between my moms and dads side of the family. MD was the one who gave me my results

Join eNewsletter

The tests that doctors trust for diagnosing celiac disease are tTG IgA, tTG IgG, DGP IgA, DGP IgG, andEMA IgA. If one of these blood tests are positive, it most likely means you have celiac disease with 95% accuracy.

Some doctors think the AGA IgA and AGA IgG may indicate celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) but that it diagnoses NCGS is not a widely accepted belief. The AGA tests have a fairly low sensitivity and are more likely to miss celiacs so doctors do not use them as often any more. If you had a positive AGA, you are lucky it caught you! A positive AGA test probably means celiac disease but it could be possible you have NCGS. The symptoms and treatment are the same though - a gluten-free diet.

I am in Alberta, What part of the country are you in?

Best wishes.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Usually, the gold standard from leading researchers (e.g. University of Chicago's celiac website) for diagnosing celiac disease includes a blood panel and an endoscopy (biopsies of the intestinal wall). However, as a Canadian, I understand that it can take many months to get an endoscopy. I know that many Canadians on this forum have skipped the endoscopy because of the wait time. Will your doctor give you a definitive diagnosis of celiac disease? If so, you can consider skipping the test.

For many, like myself, I needed that confirmation. I could not imagine that "lightening" would strike twice at my house (hubby has unconfirmed celiac disease for 13 years). I knew what being gluten free meant (dealing with cross contamination, rare eating out, etc.) and I needed a firm diagnosis. Plus, anemia was my old symptom, so I could not believe that I had celiac disease.

It is a personal decision, but I strongly recommend that you discuss it with your doctor. Take the time this weekend to search the Internet choosing reputable sites (e.g. Government, universities, hospitals) and not blogs from people trying to sell you anything or the library.

I wish you well!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

From your first post it sounds like your doctor considers you diagnosed. Personally I would just stay on the diet and have blood tests redone in a few months to make sure the antibodies are going down. Some people do feel they need to have the GI scope but if by chance the GI misses damaged areas there is the risk of a false negative on the biopsy results. With levels that high on the blood test and a family history of celiac I don't think there is any doubt about your doctor's diagnosis. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Yep, those are high blood levels.  No doubt there.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Denise 13
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics