Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badcasper

Weak Chipping Splitting Nails

My nails have never been short or weak.  they are so short now and still chipping and cracking, I don't know what to do.  Is there a vitamin or something that will help.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You have been gluten-free for about a month or so, right?  There is more healing time needed to get back to normal absorption and your nails will probably start to look better with time.  They may take extra extra time, since they take a while to grow out and fully replenish the whole nail.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I think hypothyroidism also affected that for me (could have been the celiac disease though).

Biosil is supposed to be very good for hair and nails.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I had horrible nails prior to going gluten-free. That was one of the big signs that I was healing: my nails got stronger. Now, if my nails start getting weak again, it's a sign something is amiss in my diet.
If you've just started the diet, I'd give it a few more months before you start seeing a real difference. However, a full thyroid panel is not a bad idea.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

Join eNewsletter

I did check all the symptoms of thyroid issue but I don't think im really matching up with that.  I will give it a few more more months and see if they get stronger.  I am curious, what is Blosil? 

Join eNewsletter

Biosil is a supplement that has helped some people with weak hair and nails.  I took it because of thinning hair (and weak nails) which can be celiac disease symptoms but were helped the most from my thryoid treatment.  Many symptoms of hypothyroidism and celiac disease are the same which confuses things - hypothyroidism and celiac disease commonly co-occur.

If you do get your thyroid checked, do not just settle for a TSH test (which should be near a 1) because that one does not accurately reflect thyroid deficiencies.  At the very least, also get the free T4 and free T3 (which should be above the halfway point in the normal range), and the TPO Ab.

Best wishes.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter