This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shrinking Thyroid

nvsmom

nvsmom Community Regular

Anyone else have a shrinking thyroid?  I had and ultrasound about 2 years ago that showed and abnormal thyroid, but in a normal abnormal sort of way.  I recently had a second scan which showed typical abnormalities again, but this time it also indicated that my thyroid was atrophying.... Well, at least one part of me is shrinking.  LOL

My first thought was that maybe it was being caused by my natural desiccated thyroid medication.  Maybe I am medicating myself so well (my TSH is suppressed) that my thyroid started to shrink?  I did some quick searches and that doesn't seem to happen.

Then I stumbled upon Ord's thyroiditis.  It's basically the same as Hashi's, just less common, and does the opposite of causing goitres.  Still hypothyroidism.  

Anyone else have an atrophying thyroid?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yep, me!

Since going gluten-free two years ago, my thyroid is size is now normal and I have no nodules. I was diagnosed with Hashi's almost 20 years ago based on an enlarged thyroid (felt during an exam by two doctors), two nodules, and confirmed with an antibodies test that was over 4,000! Antibodies went up and down over the years. I had wild swings the year before and after my celiac disease diagnosis which made dosing difficult for me and my doctor. Being hyper was worse that being hypo! Menopause occurred at that same time unfortunately, so I was a hormonal mess!

I have not had the antibodies tested since my celiac disease dx. I did ask for a physical test just two weeks ago during a woman's well-check and received the "It's normal in size."

I have been running hyper .04 TSH, but I do not think it was a thyroid swing. Just need to reduce my meds. Will get retested in about two weeks. I was not able to fall asleep and was feeling weak when running. I feel best close to a 1 or 2 (TSH). Unfortunately, I am feeling fatigue as in "need to nap" which means I am hypo. I was on a wacky dosage of Armour taking 120 three days a week and then 90mg the rest of the week. I think with healing from celiac disease or just my thyroid is functioning better, this dosage schedule is no longer working for me. I am hoping for a105 mg dosage (combo 90mg with 15mg) daily. We will see! In the meantime, I am taking 90mg daily and drinking lots of coffee in the afternoon!

mamaw Community Regular

My thyroid is now shrinked down to nothing , hard to pinpoint on a scan. But I did have RAI in 07 but scan tech said even tho that Rai was done thyroid's don't disappear... Plus they still check by scan once a year to see if the nodule is still there or growing. Doc claims even tho thyroid is truly gone one can still develop nodules.... I'm not a thyroid expert so I just listen to what he says!!!!

nvsmom Community Regular

Yep, me!

Since going gluten-free two years ago, my thyroid is size is now normal and I have no nodules. I was diagnosed with Hashi's almost 20 years ago based on an enlarged thyroid (felt during an exam by two doctors), two nodules, and confirmed with an antibodies test that was over 4,000! Antibodies went up and down over the years. I had wild swings the year before and after my celiac disease diagnosis which made dosing difficult for me and my doctor. Being hyper was worse that being hypo! Menopause occurred at that same time unfortunately, so I was a hormonal mess!

I have not had the antibodies tested since my celiac disease dx. I did ask for a physical test just two weeks ago during a woman's well-check and received the "It's normal in size."

I have been running hyper .04 TSH, but I do not think it was a thyroid swing. Just need to reduce my meds. Will get retested in about two weeks. I was not able to fall asleep and was feeling weak when running. I feel best close to a 1 or 2 (TSH). Unfortunately, I am feeling fatigue as in "need to nap" which means I am hypo. I was on a wacky dosage of Armour taking 120 three days a week and then 90mg the rest of the week. I think with healing from celiac disease or just my thyroid is functioning better, this dosage schedule is no longer working for me. I am hoping for a105 mg dosage (combo 90mg with 15mg) daily. We will see! In the meantime, I am taking 90mg daily and drinking lots of coffee in the afternoon!

Huh!  Your thyroid put you through the ringer, and during menopause too... That's just cruel!  ;)

My thyroid was kinder to me.  As far as I know, it's only ever run hypo, my thyroid has never been enlarged (just lumpy like a grape clusters), and I have never have elevated TPO Ab.  

My TSH is also running "hyper" looking at 0.01 but my FT4 is a low normal, and my FT3 is close to middle of normal.  If anything, I feel just a tad hypo, but not enough to change things.  I take the T3 and T4 mix though so that pushes the TSH down.  

It's funny how everyone is so different.  When my TSH is between a 1 and 2, I don't feel very good.  LOL

Good luck with your next dosage.  I hope it works like a charm for you.  :)

My thyroid is now shrinked down to nothing , hard to pinpoint on a scan. But I did have RAI in 07 but scan tech said even tho that Rai was done thyroid's don't disappear... Plus they still check by scan once a year to see if the nodule is still there or growing. Doc claims even tho thyroid is truly gone one can still develop nodules.... I'm not a thyroid expert so I just listen to what he says!!!!

Wow.  You too?  Maybe this shrinkage is more common than I thought...

Why aren't they calling it Ord's disease?  Most people refer to thyroid problems as Hashimoto's.... Oh no...  Am I going to have to admit that my old doctor (not my favourite person) was actually correct to diagnose me with thyroiditis rather than Hashimoto's? Nooooooooooo!

;)

Gemini Experienced

You guys are freaking me out! I have never had an ultrasound or scan of any kind for my thyroid as my blood work told the story of Hashi's pretty well and I have been supplementing ever since. Every time the doc feels my thyroid, she doesn't say much so I take that as meaning they can't feel nodules or anything scary. You know they would be sending me for some test if something didn't feel right.

I have never heard of a shrinking thyroid or Ord's Disease.........time to do some homework. Maybe because you supplement with natural thyroid hormone and are getting everything you need, your thyroid doesn't have to do much work? After all, muscles atrophy when not used........that's all my brain can come up with right now.

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL  :P

From what I am now reading, it sounds like Ord's thyroiditis and Hashimoto's thyroiditis are basically two sides of the same (hypothyroid) coin - one has atrophy (Ord) and one has hyperatrophy (Hashi's).  It sounds like they are just different classifications of the same disease (thyroiditis) by researchers who wanted to name something after themselves.  ;)

This article was interesting: Open Original Shared Link

Conclusions: In primary autoimmune hypothyroidism, thyroid volume follows a normal distribution. Cases with thyroid atrophy and goiter are only extremes within this distribution and do not represent separate disorders. However, patients with low vs. high thyroid volume differ with respects to several characteristics.

In patients with primary autoimmune hypothyroidism, thyroid atrophy and goiter do not represent separate disorders.

It looks like Ord's and Hashi's are the same.   :rolleyes:  :huh:

mamaw Community Regular

The doctors didn't call my issues anything but thyroid disease. Back in 07 I couldn't even get lab work... I think at first I was on PHT ( not sure) too long ago.. then for sure in early spring I was put on cytomel... we then took a summer vacation & drove to Alaska from Pa.... I felt wonderful , lost a boatload of weight , happy & all was fine. Came back home & got very ill.. ended up in hospital in intensive care for two weeks with A-Fib.... Then it was decided I needed RAI to save me...they told hubby I would die without it so he panicked & here I am today ... thyroidless... The very worse thing I ever had done....Now days, I present with both hyper & hypo....it is a constent battle...

Daughter has hashi & celiac...lots of bone loss....40's

My thyroid didn't start to shrink away until about 4 years ago...When they did RAI they killed it to nothing.. there thoughts were when a tiny piece still works & they are treating with a drug , it causes big problems with regulating the gland... a lot of ups & downs....

I do sometimes wonder what I truly had hashi or what...I'm fairly sure it wasn't but who knows.I have long since found another doc...actually been through three or four.. This guy at least listens to me & we have a mutual understanding.... I now take a whole glandular thyroid med which I love.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

That's a tough one.  :(

My oldest appears to have subclinical hypothyroidism.  I hope, if he does, that his disease goes more like mine and doesn't try him too much.

Gemini Experienced

LOL  :P

From what I am now reading, it sounds like Ord's thyroiditis and Hashimoto's thyroiditis are basically two sides of the same (hypothyroid) coin - one has atrophy (Ord) and one has hyperatrophy (Hashi's).  It sounds like they are just different classifications of the same disease (thyroiditis) by researchers who wanted to name something after themselves.   ;)

This article was interesting: Open Original Shared Link

Conclusions: In primary autoimmune hypothyroidism, thyroid volume follows a normal distribution. Cases with thyroid atrophy and goiter are only extremes within this distribution and do not represent separate disorders. However, patients with low vs. high thyroid volume differ with respects to several characteristics.

In patients with primary autoimmune hypothyroidism, thyroid atrophy and goiter do not represent separate disorders.

It looks like Ord's and Hashi's are the same.   :rolleyes:  :huh:

Thanks, Nicole, for the link! 

It sounds like they are just different classifications of the same disease (thyroiditis) by researchers who wanted to name something after themselves.

This sounds about right....... ^_^

nvsmom Community Regular

I saw my doctor who prescribed the NDT and he said this was pretty normal... My family doctor on the other hand booked me and emergency endocrinology appointment.  LOL  :rolleyes:

Gemini Experienced

I saw my doctor who prescribed the NDT and he said this was pretty normal... My family doctor on the other hand booked me and emergency endocrinology appointment.  LOL  :rolleyes:

There you go!  Such synchronicity in the medical field!  :lol:   Let us know how that goes!

nvsmom Community Regular

There you go!  Such synchronicity in the medical field!  :lol:   Let us know how that goes!

LOL    Now remember, this IS Canada we're talking about, so my emergency endocrinology appointment is in late July.   ;)

Archived