Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

nevada-

New on this. About Symptoms. (Anxiety, Reflux)

Rate this topic

Hi to all.
I'm new on this, and i want to share something: Male, 29 years. Right now i'm on a non-gluten diet.

Feeling relatively well. Healthy. Lots of tests, all of them went normal.

Before this, i was living for some time with an array of 'strange' and 'unrelated' symptoms.
Strange and unrelated, because at that moment i didn't have information about the celiac thing.

So:

1) Acutte anxiety, some kind of generalized-anxiety-disorder. Panic attacks, from time to time.

2) Abdominal distension, with strange noises. Diarrhea, with mucus, 2-3 times per day, alternated with constipation, every few weeks. Lots of belching (a lot)

3) Uncomfortable and disgusting palpitations after dinner, on a daily basis. Specially after large meals with carbs. With no pain, thankfully. Just the akward sensation.

4) A little overweight. Around 11 KG.

5) Mild insomnia.

6) The most notorius: Acid reflux, pyrosis, after every meal.

All of this disappeared very quickly, after the first 10 days on the diet. The mild overweight also, after a few weeks.

Thoughts on this? Anyone going trough something like this? It feels strange.

Edited by nevada-

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

4 hours ago, nevada- said:

Hi to all.
I'm new on this, and i want to share something: Male, 29 years. Right now i'm on a non-gluten diet.

Feeling relatively well. Healthy. Lots of tests, all of them went normal.

Before this, i was living for some time with an array of 'strange' and 'unrelated' symptoms.
Strange and unrelated, because at that moment i didn't have information about the celiac thing.

So:

1) Acutte anxiety, some kind of generalized-anxiety-disorder. Panic attacks, from time to time.

2) Abdominal distension, with strange noises. Diarrhea, with mucus, 2-3 times per day, alternated with constipation, every few weeks. Lots of belching (a lot)

3) Uncomfortable and disgusting palpitations after dinner, on a daily basis. Specially after large meals with carbs. With no pain, thankfully. Just the akward sensation.

4) A little overweight. Around 11 KG.

5) Mild insomnia.

6) The most notorius: Acid reflux, pyrosis, after every meal.

All of this disappeared very quickly, after the first 10 days on the diet. The mild overweight also, after a few weeks.

Thoughts on this? Anyone going trough something like this? It feels strange.

I've not been diagnosed (I'm getting biopsies in January), and I'm not certain I have celiac disease, but I do feel I am experiencing some reactions to gluten.  What tests did you get?

I have a lot of the same symptoms you have.  My palpitations are attributed to chronic iron deficiency anemia and my reflux is from my hiatal hernia.

Join eNewsletter

18 hours ago, CherylS said:

I've not been diagnosed (I'm getting biopsies in January), and I'm not certain I have celiac disease

Hi. Same here...in my case everything is pointing at this i guess.

As i say almost all of the symptoms disappeared after removing gluten from my diet.

18 hours ago, CherylS said:

What tests did you get?

First i did most of the basic health tests...Blood, Urine, EKG, etc. All went normal.

Then i start jumping from one doc to another (Therapist for anxiety & insomnia, gastro for reflux, et al)

Just minor relief until the diet.

AFAIK anemia can be related to celiac disease but i dunno about hiatal hernia.

And honestly, i can´t fully understand the connection between panic attacks, reflux, palpitations and a protein in the diet. Hope someone can throw some light here, is hard to understand.

Edited by nevada-

Join eNewsletter

They may be mild symptoms, but those are symptoms of celiac disease. In fact, anemia is now thought to be the most common symptom of celiac disease.

There are 300 symptoms of celiac disease: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets10_SymptomList.pdf

Anxiety and cognitive issues are some of the slower symptoms to respond to a gluten-free diet. That's great if you've had improvements already.

It looks like you may have non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) or celiac disease.  To be tested for ce you need to be eating gluten in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing so if you went gluten-free recently, you may want to consider resuming the consumption of gluten and getting tested.  

These are the tests:

• tTG IgA and tTG IgA (tissue transglutaminase)
  • DGP IgA and DGP IgG (deaminated gliadin peptides)
  • EMA IgA (endomysial antibodies)
  • toal serum IgA control test
  • AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older anti-gliadin antibodies)

Good luck!

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

4 hours ago, nevada- said:

Hi. Same here...in my case everything is pointing at this i guess.

As i say almost all of the symptoms disappeared after removing gluten from my diet.

First i did most of the basic health tests...Blood, Urine, EKG, etc. All went normal.

Then i start jumping from one doc to another (Therapist for anxiety & insomnia, gastro for reflux, et al)

Just minor relief until the diet.

AFAIK anemia can be related to celiac disease but i dunno about hiatal hernia.

And honestly, i can´t fully understand the connection between panic attacks, reflux, palpitations and a protein in the diet. Hope someone can throw some light here, is hard to understand.

I know what can cause the palpitations.  Anemia causes heart palpitations, Red Blood Cells carry Oxygen through your blood stream.  When you are anemic, you don't have enough red blood cells so you aren't getting enough oxygen around your body.  Your heart will beat faster in an attempt to spread what you have around your body.  The anemia in celiac disease is due to how your body reacts to the protein in gluten.  Your immune system starts an immune response against the protein and attacks your small intestine.  There may be little amounts of bleeding from your small intestine, but over time, you become anemic from the bleeding.

Join eNewsletter

9 hours ago, nvsmom said:

They may be mild symptoms, but those are symptoms of celiac disease.

It looks like you may have non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) or celiac disease.  To be tested for ce you need to be eating gluten in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing so if you went gluten-free recently, you may want to consider resuming the consumption of gluten and getting tested. 

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I know about the tests....looks like sooner or later i'm gonna be on gluten again to be tested.

Do u have any information about linked anxiety, palpitation issues? 

8 hours ago, CherylS said:

I know what can cause the palpitations.  Anemia causes heart palpitations.

Interesting. Not my case apparently, anemia ruled out by blood tests.

I used to have them after dinner. Sometimes during the dinner. Until I changed my diet. Probably linked with acid reflux? Glucose levels?

Join eNewsletter

Heart palps can also be caused by low potassium or simply just stress. From what I understand (and this is what my functional dr thinks happened to me) is that gluten caused inflammation in my body. Inflammation caused cortisol to rise which signals the "flight or fight" response which then triggers anxiety and panic attacks. Your body and brain just basically goes haywire! I haven't been dx with celiac as I haven't had the required blood tests but did show inflammation in my body based on blood tests and gluten sensitivity based on saliva (which also measured cortisol over 24 HR period). 

Join eNewsletter

2 hours ago, Momma2PirateNPrincess said:

Heart palps can also be caused by low potassium or simply just stress. From what I understand (and this is what my functional dr thinks happened to me) is that gluten caused inflammation in my body. Inflammation caused cortisol to rise which signals the "flight or fight" response which then triggers anxiety and panic attacks. Your body and brain just basically goes haywire! I haven't been dx with celiac as I haven't had the required blood tests but did show inflammation in my body based on blood tests and gluten sensitivity based on saliva (which also measured cortisol over 24 HR period). 

So interesting, thanks. Anxiety and heavy-panic attacks appeared out of nowhere, same with palps, and disappeared in the same way. They came with no concrete reason. No emotional problems, job, etc.
And they were proportional with my digestive problems. Medication for anxiety was very useful, but only as a patch.

In some way i always saw this like some 'body chemistry' issue...very high cortisol & body inflammation could be plausible.

Join eNewsletter

Thyroid issues can also cause palpatations.

Low vitamin B12 is known to cause anxiety.  I think the low B12 and Potassium levels are really suspect as most peeps end up here because of searching severe "D".

Does any one know of a way to bring down high cortisol levels?

Michigan

Join eNewsletter

8 hours ago, mommida said:

Nevada

can you look at my other post in response to tooth- whisperer "I think I have Celiac"  or search Eosinophilic Esophagitis.

Hi.

I read it...looks like different symptoms:
No weight loss, no 'hairball', no bad breath, dark circles under my eyes consecuence of bad sleeping. My reflux doesn't come out of the blue, i was suffering it during the last years, at the begining in a lightest way. Last year becomes more heavy and painfull, on a daily basis, and after every meal. (Note: I was eating a lot, and i mean A LOT of bread, pastas, pizza, cereals, etc.)

Increased anxiety, palps after dinner, and other issues appear around this period.

Today my reflux only appears (in a mild way) after some excesses with non-gluten bread or some heavy-saucy-acidic meal. -ofc i try to avoid this-

Join eNewsletter