Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Ok so I'm a 16 year old guy who has never been diagnosed with anything bad before. In fact I've been healthy all my life. But recently I started to develop these symptoms that were bothering me and I looked up on them and they really got in to this celiac diesese . I'll list them below 

•abdominal pain in the middle and upper and under the left rib cage. 

•chest pains that Are brief. On the far left of my chest almost under my armpit. 

•excessive gas that is really smelly.

•headaches 

•feeling tired all the time every other day

•hunger feeling in chest almost like when someone says their stomach is growling.

Thata pretty much all I can think of right now but I was wondering if I could survive if I have it by going full gluten free? I'm pretty scared :( and I can't goto my doc right now (I heard they aren't useful that much in the category anyways) because my health insurance went out and doesn't get renewed until next month. Should I go ahead and start the gluten free diet? If I do wouldnt that effect the test but does that matter? I would like to discuss this with some really friendly people :) I'm pretty worried also tho to :( so if some people could talk to me about this it would be awesome! and greatly appreciated!!!! :D 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

2 hours ago, Taylordelia said:

Ok so I'm a 16 year old guy who has never been diagnosed with anything bad before. In fact I've been healthy all my life. But recently I started to develop these symptoms that were bothering me and I looked up on them and they really got in to this celiac diesese . I'll list them below 

•abdominal pain in the middle and upper and under the left rib cage. 

•chest pains that Are brief. On the far left of my chest almost under my armpit. 

•excessive gas that is really smelly.

•headaches 

•feeling tired all the time every other day

•hunger feeling in chest almost like when someone says their stomach is growling.

Thata pretty much all I can think of right now but I was wondering if I could survive if I have it by going full gluten free? I'm pretty scared :( and I can't goto my doc right now (I heard they aren't useful that much in the category anyways) because my health insurance went out and doesn't get renewed until next month. Should I go ahead and start the gluten free diet? If I do wouldnt that effect the test but does that matter? I would like to discuss this with some really friendly people :) I'm pretty worried also tho to :( so if some people could talk to me about this it would be awesome! and greatly appreciated!!!! :D 

If you strongly suspect celiac disease, you should get tested.  That means that you must be consuming gluten on a daily basis.   I wish it were easier.  A doctor can also rule out many other illnesses too, so I would recommend seeing one.  What do your parents say?   I am sorry that you are without insurance, but luckily, (from what you posted), it's just a month.  

I wish you well.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

46 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

If you strongly suspect celiac disease, you should get tested.  That means that you must be consuming gluten on a daily basis.   I wish it were easier.  A doctor can also rule out many other illnesses too, so I would recommend seeing one.  What do your parents say?   I am sorry that you are without insurance, but luckily, (from what you posted), it's just a month.  

I wish you well.  

Thanks for the response so that means for a month I have to consume gluten if I were to want to get tested? 

Join eNewsletter

If someone removes Gluten before testing is done, they are at high risk for false test results.    I wish you luck, I know it will be be hard for an additional month.  

Have you spoken with you parents?   Let them know if you have not, and please do see a doctor for proper diagnosis.

Join eNewsletter

7 hours ago, Taylordelia said:

Thanks for the response so that means for a month I have to consume gluten if I were to want to get tested? 

Yes.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

The best thing you could do is NOT Panic.

Easier said then done right??

All i can say is be your own advocate.  Tell the doctor "these are my symptoms and this is what I think is going on".

A blood test is a great, easy first step.  But like was previously mentioned...don't stop consuming gluten until you have the testing done.

The symptoms that you are describing could also be linked to other things.  Indigestion from a poor diet, lactose intolerance, perhaps an allergy....

At 16 you are probably not into yoga (lol) but there are some great moves that assist the colon in expelling gas ( sorry if TMI).  Perhaps you could try them to see if it relieves some of the pain in your chest.

Tiredness can also come from lack of proper nutrition, or if you are involved in sports not enough calorie intake and/or not enough proper sleep.

Join eNewsletter

Excessive bowel odor and tiredness sound authoritative to me, since I had the same symptoms.  I don't think much of the biopsy approach.  Symptoms are the most important issue, but since allopathic docs can' t diagnose by symptoms anymore, you should have TTG and gliadin antibody tests if you feel you must have an "official" diagnosis.  Since gluten triggers autoimmunity, you should focus on autoimmunity symptoms, and have the thyroid autoimmunity tests (TPO and TG antibodies).  Low thyroid will cause tiredness.  When you go off gluten, consider going off dairy too.   If you go off gluten and bowel symptoms don't abate quickly, I recommend (use it myself) the "Complete Digestion" capsules from Enzyme Science.

Join eNewsletter