Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
Katrala

Anemia / Iron Infusions - Advice about post-infusion blood levels

Rate this topic

I'm looking for some help to understand some recent bloodwork.

I slowly became anemic over the past year and only discovered it when I was at a critical level (Hbg of 7, Ferritin of 3, etc.)  I received 3 iron IV infusions during the month of May (total of 1500 mg(?) of Feraheme.)

I had my blood checked a week after the last infusion (June 1st) and again this week (July 6th.)  Most of my numbers seem good, but my Ferritin levels have dropped a lot, but are still within normal range.  Has anyone else had a drop in Ferritin after infusions?  Is this normal or something I should be concerned about?

Here are my levels (June 1st, July 6th):

Ferritin (320.1, 108.1)

Iron (88, 92)

Hemoglobin (12.4, 13.4)

Hematocrit (41.7, 43)

Other variables:

• I am an endurance athlete (cyclist) and, on average, spend 7 hours+ on the bike each week (I ask a lot of my body)
  • I am currently training to climb Mt. Rainier (14,000+ feet) and I can only do that if my hemoglobin stays in the normal range (I climb in less than 2 weeks, so I think I'm good there.)
  • I have had a hysterectomy, so the anemia is not related to any type of menstrual issues, etc.
  • I had a celiac panel done before I began the first infusion and it came back normal - my levels were not elevated at all.  Could celiac still be the root cause (malabsorption) of the anemia? 

Thank you in advance for any information, advice, etc.

3 hours ago, Katrala said:

I'm looking for some help to understand some recent bloodwork.

I slowly became anemic over the past year and only discovered it when I was at a critical level (Hbg of 7, Ferritin of 3, etc.)  I received 3 iron IV infusions during the month of May (total of 1500 mg(?) of Feraheme.)

I had my blood checked a week after the last infusion (June 1st) and again this week (July 6th.)  Most of my numbers seem good, but my Ferritin levels have dropped a lot, but are still within normal range.  Has anyone else had a drop in Ferritin after infusions?  Is this normal or something I should be concerned about?

Here are my levels (June 1st, July 6th):

Ferritin (320.1, 108.1)

Iron (88, 92)

Hemoglobin (12.4, 13.4)

Hematocrit (41.7, 43)

Other variables:

• I am an endurance athlete (cyclist) and, on average, spend 7 hours+ on the bike each week (I ask a lot of my body)
  • I am currently training to climb Mt. Rainier (14,000+ feet) and I can only do that if my hemoglobin stays in the normal range (I climb in less than 2 weeks, so I think I'm good there.)
  • I have had a hysterectomy, so the anemia is not related to any type of menstrual issues, etc.
  • I had a celiac panel done before I began the first infusion and it came back normal - my levels were not elevated at all.  Could celiac still be the root cause (malabsorption) of the anemia? 

Thank you in advance for any information, advice, etc.

What does your doctor think?  

I was like you.  Anemia, (low ferritin and hemoglobin) except I opted not to get transfusions.  On top of that I have a genetic anemia which pretty much masked the iron-deficiency anemia.  Oh, I am a cyclist too!  

Which  celiac tests did you take?  If the full panel was not given, you could ask for it.  If my doctor had not ordered the full panel (TTG, DGP, EMA) my celiac disease would not have been caught!  I test positive to only the DGP (even in follow-up testing).  You are becoming anemic for a reason.  You should be checked by a GI.  About 10% of celiacs are sero negative, so biopsies should be obtained.  The transfusion may hold until your race, but if your hemoglobin drops, I would not consider it.  There is some long-term damage that can occur to your heart (if I can recall, but I am not a doctor).  

I should have said - I'm already blood / biopsy diagnosed (6 years ago.)

Sorry, I should really read your posting.  That is what I get when I am trying to multi-task!  ?

Have other things been ruled out (e.g. Crohn's)?  Have your doctors found the cause of your anemia?  

If I recall, my ferritin increased from a 2 to a 55 in just a few months of being gluten free.   

Was the last celiac disease test given exactly the same as the first?  A complete panel?   Did you ever get a follow-up Endoscopy?  Maybe it is time to see what is going on.  

Edited by cyclinglady