• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

MySuicidalTurtle

Chicken Wings.

Rate this topic

I was watching Restaurant Makeover on The Food Network and the Chef told how he made their chicken wings. He said some of the normal things you think of and then he said he uses a little flour! I would never have thought that by looking at them! So, just make sure to ask before eating them because who knows who else uses some flour, too.

I used to work at a certain restaurant know for the wings and it depens if they're breaded or not. Breaded wings are coated in a blend of flour and spices, whereas other wings (we called them "naked" at Hooters) don't have a breading--they're pulled/chopped, fried, and sauced. However, those wouldn't be safe anyway because they are fried in the same friers and sauced in the same bowl.

These were not th breaded wings! They were what you would call "naked." You couldn't tell by looking at them he put a little flour on them.

These were not th breaded wings! They were what you would call "naked." You couldn't tell by looking at them he put a little flour on them.
Wow, thanks for letting us know. Why do people need to put flour on everything. Oh look here is a banana! I might as well dust it in flour because I can!

It's been posted here before, but the wings and sauce (except for two? of the sauces, I think) are safe at Buffalo Wild Wings, in case anyone is interested. I've eaten there a few times and have had great experiences. Yay for no flour!

Wow, thanks for letting us know. Why do people need to put flour on everything. Oh look here is a banana! I might as well dust it in flour because I can!

That banana comment made me laugh : )

Well,

From a culinary perspective, the dusting of flour accomplishes a few things -- it enhances presentation, it enables the product to hold seasoning in the flour crust, it also enables the chef to pinpoint when an item may be cooked thorughally (look at the breading) and it assists texture.

Chciken wings are almost never safe in a restaurant if they are fried -- too much cross contamination with other things in the fryer (crab cakes, mozerella stix, fried mushrooms, etc)

BW3 is a good place for wings -- they have dedicated fryers for their wings -- I love the spicy garlic sauce!!

Breading food also locks in the moisture.

But I do agree with why do we need wheat in everything. There is no way we need wheat in hair, skin, toothpaste and other such products. They have used wheat and gluten so much in everything that could be the cause of a great deal of people being Celiac or gluten intolerant.

It is just like all the garbage and preservatives the put into meat, and other foods that cause or promote allergies and other problems. I am amazed they don't think they need to flour my car.

Believe it or not I have just found out in the scoopable cat litter unless they say other wise, they have wheat in them to cut down the odor. I have two large boxes left and have to use them up before I can go for the flushable stuff, which has no wheat.

So everyday when I scoop out the box, I get glutened.

Believe it or not I have just found out in the scoopable cat litter unless they say other wise, they have wheat in them to cut down the odor. I have two large boxes left and have to use them up before I can go for the flushable stuff, which has no wheat.

So everyday when I scoop out the box, I get glutened.

:o Wheat in cat litter! Now that's taking it too far.

Why do people need to put flour on everything. Oh look here is a banana! I might as well dust it in flour because I can!

LOL! I totally share your frustration with the fact that flour is in everything...

....but a banana dusted with flour and then deep fried would taste really really good. Especially with a caramel sauce and some vanilla ice cream. I just spaced out for ten minutes thinking about it.

Of course you could substitute corn starch or rice flour and accomplish the same effect more or less.

All the hot wings recipes I have contain flour. I've never liked them, so it's not a prob... but the flour was in the hot sauce, not dusted on the chicken itself.

:o Wheat in cat litter! Now that's taking it too far.

Heck, I was just buying litter the other day when I noticed.... they are selling an alternative to traditonal cat litter. Its basically a box full of wheat.

Seriously, it says "wheat is better, its natural, for you and your cat..."

Check it out!

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

Luv,

check out BW3's sauces

http://bwwsauces.2kond.com/

I buy the Spicy Garlic, the Mild, the Medium and the Sweet BBQ all the time.

The Teriaki is not gluten-free and one other one (I can't remember)

Does anyone have a list/response from BW3 on things that are gluten-free there. About a year ago, they opened a BW3 right across the street from where I worked. I was pretty excited, like most resaraunt wings, they aren't the greatest, but they weren't bad. About a month later I found out I had celiac. And never went their again.

It's true that BWW wings are gluten-free. The fryer they use for the regular wings is JUST for those wings, and the sauces are applied after cooking. The teriyaki and Thai are the only flavors that are NOT gluten-free.

As far as hot, Frank's is mostly definitely gluten-free and the hot wing recipe on the back is the best.

richard

Heck, I was just buying litter the other day when I noticed.... they are selling an alternative to traditonal cat litter. Its basically a box full of wheat.

Seriously, it says "wheat is better, its natural, for you and your cat..."

They gave me that wheat litter when I adopted my second cat, so I tried it. My oldest cat decided it tasted better than his cat food! I had to get rid of it. But that was funny (for about a second) to see him eating brand new litter for the new kitten in the brand new litter box. The look on his face was classic when I told him it wasn't for eating.

I agree that bww wings are great and I used to work there! Unfortunately we do not have dedicated fryers in our store seafood is placed in the same fryer! I am concerned with the post who said we do! Always ask management before you order! People with a seafood allergy or gluten allergy should be aware to prevent any issue! I was always able to have the kitchen prepare food with my guests allergies in mind!

I agree that bww wings are great and I used to work there! Unfortunately we do not have dedicated fryers in our store seafood is placed in the same fryer! I am concerned with the post who said we do! Always ask management before you order! People with a seafood allergy or gluten allergy should be aware to prevent any issue! I was always able to have the kitchen prepare food with my guests allergies in mind!

You are replying to a thread from 2005 - I am sure the restaurant has changed some procedures and ingredients in the last 10 years

If you do not specifically ask your wings at bww will be tossed in the same container as boneless breaded wings as Well. That is not policy of the restaurant however it is common practice! Just be cautious and make sure your server and a manager is aware of your sensitivity! And please remember to tip your server well!

I worked there in 2014 not 2005 I love that restaurant but there are some untrue statements made here. Just wanted to give some current Feedback! Thank you

The statements may have been true in 2005 - 10 years ago when the original comments were posted.  Thanks you for updating the info.