This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How safe are Costco and Nuts?

vvicin02

vvicin02 Enthusiast

I have been on a GFD for 6 weeks now and I have been making granola cereal with walnuts, pecans, almonds and other nuts from Costco. I never thought to read the label but it indicates that they share equipment in processing that may contain items like wheat. I am asymptomatic and cannot tell if I am getting contaminated. Should I be worried? I did test with the GlutenDetective and it came up negative. Anyone have any other experience with Costco nuts like walnuts, pecans and almonds?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Use Nuts.com or source direct from manufactures. It is hit and miss with those kinds of things.
I never had issues with most trader joes nuts, I get my almonds in 25lb cases from alldrin brothers best pricing ever lol, AND they only handle almonds, no other nuts, seasonings, etc.

cyclinglady Grand Master

We do not eat the Costco nuts that are made in shared facility with wheat (not all of them have that statement and I will purchase  those that do not have that statement).   I confess that I have not followed up by calling to see if the lines for the no-gluten-listed products are dedicated.

Costco peanuts (a legume) are certified gluten free.  I get my walnuts from Nuts.com.  Just received an order last week.  I buy a bunch and freeze to keep them fresh.  Unfortunately, I can not eat almonds.  Hammon’s black walnuts are harvested and processed with nothing else.  I am looking forward to those hitting the market.  

I also have purchased uncracked nuts.  More work and less chance of eating too many!  Fall is coming!  

Make sure if you are using oats, that they are gluten free oats (e.g. dedicated fields).  Often we suggest that newbies wait a few months before testing oats to see if they react.  A few celiacs do react to oats.  

Edited by cyclinglady
vvicin02 Enthusiast

Thank you all. I wish I would have researched this better. I just spent money and time to make a new batch. I guess I need to order from nuts.com and get some gluten-free walnuts and almonds. Very dissappointing. I had a few ingredients correct like organic Maple syrup and organic coconut and flax seed. Man I spent 4 weeks on this diet and made no progress. I am going in for an iGa test in two weeks. I suspect not much progress. I have lots of learning...lol

cyclinglady Grand Master

Just avoid the ones that state “made in a facility that uses wheat”.  Sometimes you can call the manufacturer to see of lines are shared,  but when it is private labeled (e.g. Kirkland, Trader Joe’s, Aldi, Or other store brands), it is harder to get a definitive response.  For example, Jelly Bellies do not contain gluten.  We toured the candy factory.  Only jelly bellies are made on the jelly bean line.  There is wheat in the building used for other sweets, but it is kept separate and the factory is huge.  I also buy Breyers ice cream.  There have more than a dozen gluten free (stated on the package with their own gluten-free symbol).  They do not have a gluten free chocolate chip version, just mint chip.  That is because they do not share lines with all their ice creams.  Too bad their chocolate chip is made on the same line as cookies and cream.  But it is nice to know for sure that the ones marked gluten free are gluten free.    

I just bought some cashews for my family and they are the Kirkland brand.  They state they are only packaged with other nuts.  So, pretty safe.  

When I called Hammon’s (besides looking at their website), they said that they ONLY process their black walnuts.  No other nuts.  Nice!  

Others have used Planters nuts successfully.  Check them out.  

In the beginning, it is best to be cautious until you have experienced (no symptoms) or seen (lab tests) improvements indicating healing.  

vvicin02 Enthusiast

Thank you that is very helpful. I too have Kirkland cashews but it says that it is "processed on equipment that also packages products that may contain tree nuts, milk, soy and wheat". I suppose that is no-no. Also, you brought up ice cream - Edy's Vanilla ice cream considered gluten free?

cyclinglady Grand Master

The Kirkland Cashews must be a different supplier that varies by region.   Mine only mentions processed with other nuts.  

Not sure about Edy’s.  You must be on the East Coast!  We have Dreyers which is on the West Coast.  I think if you stick with plain flavors, you should be just fine per the website.   But I really like Breyers (Unilever) which has gone the extra mile to make picking out ice cream safer for gluten free consumers.   Unilever discloses all their ingredients on their cosmetics (e.g. shampoo).  I like that!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

vvicin02 Enthusiast

Thank you again cyclinglady. I am in Michigan. I will take your advice. Breyers it is (with Sanders gluten-free hot fudge..yum). Thank you for taking time to respond. I appreciate it.

Jherm21 Community Regular

I’m in Michigan too!! How awesome. I’m not sure about the edys but someone on one of these forums or another celiac forum said they eat edys with no problem. I emailed Unilever breyers Ice Cream and got a confusing response and was scared to use it but really want their ice cream!!! cycling lady what flavor of breyers do you eat?  It just said they couldn’t confirm cross contamination. Is it safe to say celiacs can have their gluten free flavors? Thanks always. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

My favorite is Breyers plain vanilla.  I contains the least amount of added junk.  But I like the chocolate and chocolate mint chip.  It is tested and complies with the 20 ppm.  

https://www.breyers.com/us/en/gluten-free-ice-cream.html

https://www.verywellfit.com/gluten-free-ice-cream-562453

Edys or Dreyers is made by Nestle.  They disclose all their ingredients, but do not promise gluten free.  Is that okay?  Sure, but sometimes just having piece of mind is priceless, especially if you are new to the diet.  

When my guests offer to bring ice cream to my house it is easy to have them select a well-marked gluten free version of Breyers!  

Jherm21 Community Regular

This is great!!! Thanks so much for the info cyclinglady   Do you know if the lactose feee vanilla is gluten free? 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/122038-ice-cream-and-popsicles/

Bit of a list of gluten free icecreams and some dairy free.

cyclinglady Grand Master
47 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

This is great!!! Thanks so much for the info cyclinglady   Do you know if the lactose feee vanilla is gluten free? 

Yes, but always check the label.  

vvicin02 Enthusiast

Has anyone ordered from anuts.com? I emailed them and they said their almonds, pecans, walnuts and other nuts are gluten free - especially if they are raw or shelled. "All nuts are gluten free. Especially when there is no coating of any type on them. Simply roasted or salted are gluten free as well." Their prices are very reasonable. Just wondering how they compare to nuts.com who advertise as Gluten Free.

Beverage Rising Star

I order from nuts.com all the time.  They have a lot available in their gluten free section.  The nuts are really really fresh, you won't realize how not fresh other nuts have been until you get these.  I love them, I ask for them as a gift for Christmas and birthday.  I order enough to get me free delivery and store the extra in the freezer.  Delivery is super fast too.

• 10 months later...
vvicin02 Enthusiast

Hi Beverage - I realized just now that you replied to my post...lol. Thank you so much. I was thinking about ordering walnuts in the shell and hope they were safe from anuts.com - even though they do not advertise gluten free nuts. I have been ordering from nuts.com but they are a little expensive. I just want to make sure that the nuts are really gluten free in the shell from anuts.com. I am sure most believe if you crack your own walnuts you should be ok. Let me know if I am off base here - hate to make a mistake. I am nuts about nuts...lol

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, vvicin02 said:

Hi Beverage - I realized just now that you replied to my post...lol. Thank you so much. I was thinking about ordering walnuts in the shell and hope they were safe from anuts.com - even though they do not advertise gluten free nuts. I have been ordering from nuts.com but they are a little expensive. I just want to make sure that the nuts are really gluten free in the shell from anuts.com. I am sure most believe if you crack your own walnuts you should be ok. Let me know if I am off base here - hate to make a mistake. I am nuts about nuts...lol

I think where the gluten comes in is at processing.  If they use a flavoring on some nuts that has gluten and don’t clean well.  I really wonder if nuts are really gluten cc’d as much as these manufacturers say.  I wonder if it isn’t often a CYA sort of legal statement.  But in the shell should be fine.  I often buy at farmers markets from people who grow pecans or walnuts .  They shell them but nothing else is going on with the nuts