This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hypoglycemia symtoms

Brightstar101

Brightstar101 Rookie

Hi! 

I was diagnosed with celiac around a Month and half ago. What a lifestyle change! Right before I was diagnosed, I had to call the ambulance because I felt like I was going to pass. Come to find out my blood sugar was 54 and that was 45 mins after eating a candy bar and crackers. After diagnosis, I learned that I am not absorbing the sugars from the small intestines yet? So, I have to eat alot more sugar to bring it up. Unfortunately, healthy foods do not bring it up fast enough. Only sugary junk does the trick. The doctor ran blood tests and I came back negative for hypoglycemia and diabetes. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Will this go away after my small intestines heal? I had a rough start with the new diet. I have accidentally glutened myself 3 times and it seems to take 4 or 5 days to get better. As you know, it's awful. Super blessed though for a fast diagnosis. I believe a year ago after my surgery, I got Celiac (guessing here). I love the blogs here, I am constantly reading them for advice. How long did it take to feel better? Thank you for any advice! 

Stacy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NNowak Collaborator

I was diagnosed 24 years ago. It seems the hypoglycemia is a “thing” for me, too. I focus only on whole foods, high protein and rarely sugars. The foods I eat for dinner greatly influence my next few days. Rice and pasta are out, as that guarantees a hypoglycemic episode the following day. Fiber, protein and a few healthy carbs are what I consume. Recognize that we are all different and my female 115# frame has  different dietary requirements than another individual. I recommend the guidance of a dietitian and physician. 

Feel better. 

Brightstar101 Rookie

Thank you for your advice! 

Carole from Florida Newbie

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia years ago by Dr. Atkins 5 hour blood test. I have also had many of the symptoms stated online relating to Celiac Disease.  I was super shocked to see many women suffer infertility (I have adopted children), are short in stature, vomit, lost weight without trying.  I am so glad I found this group online.   Carole  from Florida

Edited by Carole from Florida
I left out that I was infertile.

Thank you very much!

I am most interested in how others became suspicious of Celiac Disease.  I want to hear if anyone has had unplanned weight loss.  I have read about the villi which are in the small intestine, not 'standing up' and therefore, can't digest fats.  Please do let me hear your replies.

Thanks.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Know that Type 1 diabetes is commonly linked with celiac disease (same genes and affects about 6% of patients).  It can develop at ANY age.  It can develop slowly.  Often the “honeymoon” period can last up to five years.  Your doctor should run antibodies that effect the pancreas.  

Learn more: 

https://gluten.org/resources/health-wellness/diabetes-and-celiac-disease/

https://www.jdrf.org/t1d-resources/about/diagnosis/

Brightstar101 Rookie
21 hours ago, Carole from Florida said:

Thank you very much!

I am most interested in how others became suspicious of Celiac Disease.  I want to hear if anyone has had unplanned weight loss.  I have read about the villi which are in the small intestine, not 'standing up' and therefore, can't digest fats.  Please do let me hear your replies.

Thanks.

I unfortunately gained about 10 pounds and I couldn't lose 1 pound no matter how healthy I ate and excersized before I was diagnosed. I am hoping that now I can lose the 10 pounds but my body still seems to be hanging on to every calorie. Maybe when I heal! ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

On 12/17/2019 at 6:56 PM, Brightstar101 said:

Hi! 

I was diagnosed with celiac around a Month and half ago. What a lifestyle change! Right before I was diagnosed, I had to call the ambulance because I felt like I was going to pass. Come to find out my blood sugar was 54 and that was 45 mins after eating a candy bar and crackers. After diagnosis, I learned that I am not absorbing the sugars from the small intestines yet? So, I have to eat alot more sugar to bring it up. Unfortunately, healthy foods do not bring it up fast enough. Only sugary junk does the trick. The doctor ran blood tests and I came back negative for hypoglycemia and diabetes. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Will this go away after my small intestines heal? I had a rough start with the new diet. I have accidentally glutened myself 3 times and it seems to take 4 or 5 days to get better. As you know, it's awful. Super blessed though for a fast diagnosis. I believe a year ago after my surgery, I got Celiac (guessing here). I love the blogs here, I am constantly reading them for advice. How long did it take to feel better? Thank you for any advice! 

Stacy

4 hours ago, Brightstar101 said:

I unfortunately gained about 10 pounds and I couldn't lose 1 pound no matter how healthy I ate and excersized before I was diagnosed. I am hoping that now I can lose the 10 pounds but my body still seems to be hanging on to every calorie. Maybe when I heal! ?

Good luck!  I wish I could gain 10 lbs.  I've been overweight most of my adult life. About a year and a half or so ago, I went on Keto.  I started losing weight faster than I anticipated.  Sometimes 3 lbs. in two or three days.  It continued.  When I started Keto I was probably about 180 lbs. Am only 4'll".  I went off Keto, but am still losing weight.   I am now about 110 lbs.  Not attractive on an older woman...lol.  I've read many articles and learned that I have practically every symptom of Celiac.  I'm being really strict with foods.  Google is a life saver.  I'll keep on reading, hoping to find out that someone had similar symptoms and especially unexplained weight loss.  

5 hours ago, Brightstar101 said:

Hi Brightstar:   It could be that  your body is NOW in the HEALING PROCESS, and (pardon the slang) sucking up a lot of missed nutrician and holding on to it till 'it' feels it is back totally healed.  Yesterday I read an article that said when you are 'glutenized' and in pain, vomiting, losing weight and nutrician, the reason for lost weight is that the body is taking :FROM ITSELF" those nutrients athat are necessary for existence.  "Auto"something is the term for that.  I'm sure the opposite is true now that your are off gluten....your body is holding onto to those nutrients to heal, hence your temporary inability to lose the desired pounds.

knitty kitty Grand Master

B12 deficiency can cause hypoglycemia.  B12 deficiency can cause unintentional weight loss.  B12 deficiency can also contribute to obesity and inflammation.  B12 deficiency is frequently found in newly diagnosed Celiacs.  B12 deficiency is frequently found in Diabetics (both types) (with or without Celiac Disease).  Nitrous Oxide, laughing gas used in anesthesia to put you to sleep for endoscopy or surgery, can deplete your store of vitamin B12 and cause B12 deficiency.  

As Celiacs, we have a higher metabolic need for B12, and we have trouble absorbing enough with damaged digestive systems.  Supplementation may be necessary.

Testing for B12 deficiency and other vitamin and mineral deficiencies should be part of aftercare for diagnosis of Celiac and Diabetes both.  A B12 deficiency can occur before there are obvious changes in red blood cells (megaloblastic anemia).  

Please talk to your doctor before supplementing on your own. 

I am not diagnosing.  I am sharing information I researched because of my own experiences with B12 deficiency.  I have experienced hypoglycemia.  I found controlling my diabetes and Celiac Disease with the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol diet works wonders.  I do still have to supplement B12 and other vitamins and minerals. 

Hope this helps!

Beverage Rising Star

Work with a good naturopath, functional medicine doctor, or doctor very knowledgeable about nutrients. I had some blood sugar issues at first.  Berberine and Cinnamon are excellent to help even out blood sugar and avoid going into diabetes or some other disease.  But work with someone knowledgeable that can make sure you don't have something else going on and can try these out and monitor the results. On the cinnamon, NOT the stuff that's in the spice jar, but specifically cinnamon bark extract, "cinnamomum cassia."  You can search on Dr. Jonathan Wright and berberine to get information from him on the berberine.

Keight Enthusiast
On 12/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, Carole from Florida said:

Hi Brightstar:   It could be that  your body is NOW in the HEALING PROCESS, and (pardon the slang) sucking up a lot of missed nutrician and holding on to it till 'it' feels it is back totally healed.  Yesterday I read an article that said when you are 'glutenized' and in pain, vomiting, losing weight and nutrician, the reason for lost weight is that the body is taking :FROM ITSELF" those nutrients athat are necessary for existence.  "Auto"something is the term for that.  I'm sure the opposite is true now that your are off gluten....your body is holding onto to those nutrients to heal, hence your temporary inability to lose the desired pounds.

This! Excellent advice that corresponds to my experience and understanding. 

Keight Enthusiast

I have always had a hypoglycaemia problem. It reared up recently, post diagnosis, but I noticed it is now the two days before my period is due. 

Going to a paleo, lower carb and higher fat style diet has helped my blood sugar levels stabilise like never before. Wish I'd known of this years ago.