• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

watkinson

New York Pizza Restaurant

Rate this topic

A while back I remember someone posting a story about a gluten-free pizza restaurant in NY. Something about a celiac man crying becasue it was the first time in almost 10 years that he had had real pizza oven pizza and real beer. :) We are heading to New York in a couple weeks and I thought I would check it out. Maybe celiac3270 was the one who posted it? I can't remember.

Thanks ahead of time if anyone know. :)

Wendy

Man I love this site...and the people on it!!! :D

Thanks, I'm going to google that name and see what I can find. If the pizza or beer is good I'll let you know. :D

Thanks again boncobux,

Wendy

Wendy- Risotteria.com-- the place is AMAZING- a few of us went there last night, they have gluten-free pasta on Tuesdays. The pizzas and the breadsticks are great and DEF try the carrot cake or the "fudgie" for dessert- YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED :D

Oh Man...I can't wait!! :D

I wonder if they have people freaking out all the time. I'll probably cry! lol :lol:

Hmmmmmm...pizza, beer and the "fudgie" for dessert

Thanks again guys, Wendy

I think some people actually DO freak out there--there was an article in our paper last fall that told about a man who hadn't had pizza and beer in like 20 years. The article said that he broke down and cried when it was served to him. The owner said that things like that happen there every so often. Hope you have a great time! The next time my husband and I drive up to NYC, we plan to go there.

I had a similar experience in Tempe, Arizona at Picazzo's...

Sometimes we, as Celiacs, hunger to be "normal" and enjoy eating at a restaurant without trying to watch the cooks or "expecting" our salad to have croutons or have our entrees served with the stupid breasdstick we loudly made a fuss about when the server took our order -- I think its funny how when that stuff happens to me now, I have 2 reactions -- one is fairley laissez-faire -- I could care less, it is expected, the other is pretty frustrated (not mad) -- just wishing people could follow simple directions...

At Picazzos, they are so well versed with the menu, it was a "walk in the park" -- I was doing fine emotionally until the waiter asked me if I cared for a gluten free beer -- I almost lost it right there...its not that big of a deal - I have had the gluten-free beer before, but it was so pleasant not to have to be on top of everything, not to be at "Defcon 4" like I usually am at restaurants.

Beer and Pizza is something to be cherished -- I know it affected me -- maybe not tears, but damn near...I need to go to AZ again soon...

Jkmunchkin and some others on this site actually go there regularly! I have heard that it is a great place!

Yup, me, her and CeliaCruz went last night :P

OMG how good was that Carrot Cake last night?!! (Well and ofcourse the pizza and pasta).

MMMMMMMMM....I cant stop thinking about that carrot cake!!!! so amazing!!!!!!!!!

I had a similar experience in Tempe, Arizona at Picazzo's...

Sometimes we, as Celiacs, hunger to be "normal" and enjoy eating at a restaurant without trying to watch the cooks or "expecting" our salad to have croutons or have our entrees served with the stupid breasdstick we loudly made a fuss about when the server took our order -- I think its funny how when that stuff happens to me now, I have 2 reactions -- one is fairley laissez-faire -- I could care less, it is expected, the other is pretty frustrated (not mad) -- just wishing people could follow simple directions...

At Picazzos, they are so well versed with the menu, it was a "walk in the park" -- I was doing fine emotionally until the waiter asked me if I cared for a gluten free beer -- I almost lost it right there...its not that big of a deal - I have had the gluten-free beer before, but it was so pleasant not to have to be on top of everything, not to be at "Defcon 4" like I usually am at restaurants.

Beer and Pizza is something to be cherished -- I know it affected me -- maybe not tears, but damn near...I need to go to AZ again soon...

Ditto! I've been there twice and it was so great. The gluten free menu has almost everything that the regular menu has and they don't treat you like you're weird. The waitress even said, "I know, I'll box yours separately and make sure that it doesn't come in contact with theirs." She was boxing my leftovers and my parents' (which is regular pizza). I felt like crying too.

So cool!

Susan

OMG how good was that Carrot Cake last night?!! (Well and ofcourse the pizza and pasta).

The spaghetti and meatballs were soooo good!

The best part was, as Mookie pointed out, being able to reach over with our forks and taste each others' food without fear of contamination. Like we waz normal and everything!

The spaghetti and meatballs were soooo good!

The best part was, as Mookie pointed out, being able to reach over with our forks and taste each others' food without fear of contamination. Like we waz normal and everything!

ha, i know! I thought about it the next night when i went to dinner w/ my dad and he said "let me try your sorbet" and came inches from my food w/ his fork from his apple pie...i slapped his hand away and handed him his spoon-- totally reminded me of our conversation at Risotteria :)

wait a second-- did you guys say CARROT CAKE????! they have carrot cake there now?? was this a one-time thing, or do they always have it?

wait a second-- did you guys say CARROT CAKE????! they have carrot cake there now?? was this a one-time thing, or do they always have it?

I believe its fairly new, but they have had it the last 2 times ive been there-- i only had it the second time, but OMG, that icing is sooooo good! You've gotta try it, it will make ur day :D