This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Mcdonalds Sucks

ErraticBinxie

ErraticBinxie Explorer

I don't know if you have all already seen this. I got this from a celiac Myspace group. Anyways an article was printed that said that McDonalds has suddenly posted on their website that their french fries contain wheat and dairy ingredients, something that they have denied in the past. I am including the link below. I am really disappointed. Just when fast food was becoming more availible to us, they have to come in and take it away. Sorry to bring such bad news!

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

That okay, you weren't the bearer of bad news. We have about 15 thread now about the McDonald's fiasco. If you want to read up in great detail, here are some links:

Karen

hillary-h Rookie
That okay, you weren't the bearer of bad news. We have about 15 thread now about the McDonald's fiasco. If you want to read up in great detail, here are some links:

Karen

Hi ,

I haven't been on this site for at least a year and a half, but when my daughter was diagnosed with celiac two years ago this site saved me. I still continue to do a lot of research and learn something new everyday. Ronni's villi was not just damaged but totally flat (full blown celiac disease) I was told by her doctor it would take 5 years on a gluten free diet to repair most of the damage gluten has done to her villi. I have done everything in my power to give her the proper diet and tonight I'am so angry and feel so powerless all this because of Mc Donald french fries. Ronni has McDonald french fries at least once a week maybe more. When we go shopping on saturdays for fruits and gluten-free foods, her treat is an order of fries and a sprite Gluten almost killed my daughter all I ask from any company is to be honest and truthful, you can add all the Gluten you want but when I ask tell me the truth. Mc Donalds let me give my child poison. Sorry for rambling on i was very upset by the news and feel so guilty for giving her those stupid french fries.

Thanks to who ever is reading, I needed to get that out

Ronnismom

nettiebeads Apprentice
Gluten almost killed my daughter all I ask from any company is to be honest and truthful, you can add all the Gluten you want but when I ask tell me the truth. Mc Donalds let me give my child poison. Sorry for rambling on i was very upset by the news and feel so guilty for giving her those stupid french fries.

Thanks to who ever is reading, I needed to get that out

Ronnismom

Don't feel guilty! McDonald's LIED, misled and refused to tell the truth. NO ONE knew the real truth except them!! And now they tell us that they are interested in their customer's health and that's why they have listed wheat and milk used in their products. NO - they were interested in their bottom line and that's the real truth. So, vent away here where we understand your justifiable anger. No one can blame you Ronnismom, so please don't blame yourself.

Annette

lovegrov Collaborator

But what have your daughter's follow-up tests shown?

richard

hillary-h Rookie

Since being diagnosed she hasn't had another biopsy, her blood work was done and her doctor said she needed more calcium and a multi vitamin but didn't thin another biopsy was necessary. Im at work right now and dont have her results with me. I will post them when I get home. I was told to continue on the diet. Six months into the diet Ronni gained over twenty pounds. Now that I think of it she hasn't gained anymore maybe 2 or 3 pounds in a year 1/2. She weighs between 44-45 lbs. Ronni will be eight in June.

VydorScope Proficient
But what have your daughter's follow-up tests shown?

richard

Unless she was eating a HUGE quantity of fries, I doubt they would show anything. Your gluten in take has to be pretty high to trip the blood tests.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I definitely could be wrong, but it's my understanding that it takes a pretty high intake to trip some of the tests (ttg for one) but much lower for others. Blood tests are considered the best method for keeping track of how you're complying.

I would agree with the doctor that as long as your child feels better and the blood tests look good, a biopsy is not needed. I asked about the blood tests because if she were eating the fries weekly and there's any signficant gluten in them, it should show on the tests. Not a guarantee of course, because the blood tests aren't infallible.

richard

Mango04 Enthusiast

Karen

I think we need an entirely new forum category just for McDonald's :P

VydorScope Proficient
I definitely could be wrong, but it's my understanding that it takes a pretty high intake to trip some of the tests (ttg for one) but much lower for others. Blood tests are considered the best method for keeping track of how you're complying.

I would agree with the doctor that as long as your child feels better and the blood tests look good, a biopsy is not needed. I asked about the blood tests because if she were eating the fries weekly and there's any signficant gluten in them, it should show on the tests. Not a guarantee of course, because the blood tests aren't infallible.

richard

Well acording to : https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-10106112945.a6 a 50 pound child (22.67kg) would need to eat around 2/3rds of a gram of gluten every day, for a couple of months to show up on teh blood tests. If you only eat the fries 1 or 2 times a week, I highly doubt it would show up on the blood tests. Or at least that is my understanding of article.

melly Rookie

SPEAK THE TRUTH GIRL

I think we need an entirely new forum category just for McDonald's :P

LOL

hillary-h Rookie

It was the super size, Ronni's little but she can eat the whole order. She wasn't only getting the french fries on the week-ends but after school on occassion. I pray there hasn't been more damage and will be taking her to get checked next month. I can't explain the way I feel, Im just angry that this happened. I thought for the last two years she was gluten free and then to find out she isn't, how dare they risk her health.

codetalker Contributor
Gluten almost killed my daughter all I ask from any company is to be honest and truthful, you can add all the Gluten you want but when I ask tell me the truth. Mc Donalds let me give my child poison.

Just as an aside, most people would not eat in restaurants (fast-food or otherwise), if they knew what goes on behind the scenes in the kitchen. Trusting them is definitely risky.

I put myself through school partly by working as a short-order cook in a pancake house. I have stories that would make most people sick. For instance, once a week we would pull the grill away from the wall to clean behind it. We would usually find pieces of bread and rolls. One of two things would be done with them. If they were intact and not visibly damaged, they would be put through a special steamer used to rehydrate stale bread. If the bread/rolls were damaged, they would be ground up and used for filler. Nothing was ever wasted.

We had dedicated deep-fat friers. Once a week we would filter the oil and rotate it from one frier to another. Memories of that keep me from eating anything deep-fat fried in any restaurants.

The point here is that issues of truth and honesty take a back seat to the realities of common practice and the ever-important bottom-line.

Oh my God, I'm gonna hurl...... :blink:

Karen

jerseyangel Proficient

All of this eating at home is looking better to me all the time :o:D:D

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I put myself through school partly by working as a short-order cook in a pancake house. I have stories that would make most people sick. For instance, once a week we would pull the grill away from the wall to clean behind it. We would usually find pieces of bread and rolls. One of two things would be done with them. If they were intact and not visibly damaged, they would be put through a special steamer used to rehydrate stale bread. If the bread/rolls were damaged, they would be ground up and used for filler. Nothing was ever wasted.

We had dedicated deep-fat friers. Once a week we would filter the oil and rotate it from one frier to another. Memories of that keep me from eating anything deep-fat fried in any restaurants.

The point here is that issues of truth and honesty take a back seat to the realities of common practice and the ever-important bottom-line.

Wow... that is pretty nasty.
Guest nini

not all places do that. I've worked in quite a few restaurants. Mrs. Winners Fried Chicken, and a few deli style places in Florida, and a restaurant at a Golf Course... Those kinds of practices would not have been tolerated. If food fell on the floor (biscuit or toast or anything) it immediately went into the trash. Fry oils had to be changed weekly and filtered daily. If anyone was caught cutting corners they were out. Also, the health inspectors would have been up our butts literally if anything like that was going on. For ex. I ate Chinese Takeout once and ended up with a dead cockroach in my mouth. The health department subsequently investigated and shut the place down.

Sure there are some bad places out there, but not all are like that.

McDonald's was supposed to be the kind of company that you could trust... Exemplary training for teenagers and young adults, strict policies about cleanliness and food prep.

I have had quite a few friends over the years who have worked at McDonald's for long periods of time and they all said the same thing when I would ask about the rumours of employees doing nasty things to the food... That it was absolutely not tolerated and very rare for something like that to happen.

The point is that McDonald's CLAIMED their fries were gluten free by putting them on their gluten-free list, then QUIETLY removed them from there without any satisfactory explanation. And based on the FAAN's response to their "explanation" I will not be eating at McDonald's again, not unless some SERIOUS changes take place.

VydorScope Proficient
Just as an aside, most people would not eat in restaurants (fast-food or otherwise), if they knew what goes on behind the scenes in the kitchen. Trusting them is definitely risky.

I was a short order cook for a while, and waiter, and I can say with certinity if that truly happened, you were in danager of losing your licnse to operate. True some resturants are nasty and get away with alot till they are finally caught (well sually turned in), but for the most part its not realy like that.

For ex. I ate Chinese Takeout once and ended up with a dead cockroach in my mouth. The health department subsequently investigated and shut the place down.

I'm gonna hurl again! :blink:

Karen

Guest nini
I'm gonna hurl again! :blink:

Karen

BELIEVE ME, I DID!!!!!

But I DID hear they are a good source of protein! :P

Karen

penguin Community Regular
But I DID hear they are a good source of protein! :P

Karen

Blech :o

I think I want my protein a bit more sterile...

And I want it fresh to order :ph34r:

Excuse me.....while I join the hurling party :blink:

Guest gliX

Don't worry everyone, it is better not to eat McDonalds, even when not considering the gluten.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Scott should make a "McDonald's" section of the board--I bet it would have more posts than the current "Sports and Fitness" or "Gluten-Free in..." sections (except for Canada).

Oh, that's a joke... whoops :lol:

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Six months into the diet Ronni gained over twenty pounds. Now that I think of it she hasn't gained anymore maybe 2 or 3 pounds in a year 1/2. She weighs between 44-45 lbs. Ronni will be eight in June.

Holy Cow!! 6 months into Ty's diet and he's gained 4 lbs. I thought that was good. He eats at McDonald's at most twice a month (but we're in Canada, and I saw a post somewhere from Canadian Karen - I think - that had a quote about how Canadian McD fries are okay). Ty is 6 and weighs 37lbs now. 33 when we started the diet in August 2005. Meanwhile, his brother Walker, is NOT celiac, but is 8 and weighs 48 lbs. We are a skinny family.

Did she get much taller? Ty's grown a couple of cm, but I don't know exactly, maybe an inch or so.

Archived