This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Inhaling Gluten

lemonade

lemonade Enthusiast

i have to make a real cake, not gluten free for a birthday party. Should i be conserned with inhaling the flour and gluten filled ingredients? Should i wear a mask?

L

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
i have to make a real cake, not gluten free for a birthday party. Should i be conserned with inhaling the flour and gluten filled ingredients? Should i wear a mask?

L

Dunno about a mask, I guess you could, but if you do not not and your not careful you will inhale some flour. Thats fairly normal. Not to mention flour has a tendency to cover everything making CC for anything else you make a higher chance. I would recomend you go pick up a cake and not worry about it or risk it. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Vincent is right about the flour getting into the air and contaminating every surface it falls on. This is just my opinion, but if I had to use flour, I would use a mask or even a bandana or something to keep the dust from being inhaled.

Guest nini

hmmm. too risky to me, then I'd be mad because I couldn't eat it, SOOOOO sneaky person that I am, I would just make a yummy gluten free cake (I swear Pamela's chocolate brownie mix makes an AWESOME cake that even non celiacs won't be able to resist!) and just not tell people that it is gluten free... Phooey on them. They don't need to eat gluten anyway! Let them eat cake! But let it be gluten free!

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Use a mask!!!! You can get 3M brand masks at the hardware store that filter out down to microparticles, I think. There was a thread earlier about a woman's husband who is a manager at Chick-fil-A, and when he is in the back helping, flour is flying around everywhere -- then he gets VERY sick. Good luck, and please take care of yourself . . . Lynne

minibabe Contributor

I would want to lick the batters......I used to always do that :D

Amanda NY

i canary Rookie

If I was too tired to cook I would take Vincent's suggestion and go buy one. Otherwise I would do as Nini suggested bake a gluten free cake. I had a gluten-free cake for my birthday and it was so good the gluttons who could eat gluten tried to eat it all. The recipe was from "Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults" by Connie Sarros.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
The recipe was from "Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults" by Connie Sarros.

Realy? Which one? We JUST got that book in the mail from my mother in law. Not looked at it much yet.

i canary Rookie
Realy? Which one? We JUST got that book in the mail from my mother in law. Not looked at it much yet.

Harvest Muffins page 51. It's good as muffins and as a cake. We used a bundt cake pan.

marciab Enthusiast

L

Lemonade

I was wondering how far we needed to go with avoiding gluten too. I got a high the other day when I walked through the bakery section at Publix after they had just pulled all of the fresh baked breads out of the ovens. I stood there for a minute, getting my gluten / yeast fix, but then figured I had better leave if I was that overwhelmed by the aroma. Wearing a mask in Publix is out of the question. LOL

I am careful when I cook with wheat for my daughter, but I'm concerned about the CC too.

Marcia

LivingtheGoodLife Newbie
hmmm. too risky to me, then I'd be mad because I couldn't eat it, SOOOOO sneaky person that I am, I would just make a yummy gluten free cake (I swear Pamela's chocolate brownie mix makes an AWESOME cake that even non celiacs won't be able to resist!) and just not tell people that it is gluten free... Phooey on them. They don't need to eat gluten anyway! Let them eat cake! But let it be gluten free!

Good one Nini - and so true. As we speak my hubby (gluten glutton) is eating my Panda Puffs!

Care

Diagnosed: December 30, 2005

Gluten-Free: February 1, 2006

Rusla Enthusiast

Wear a mask and gloves. However, I would make a gluten-free cake and not tell anyone it is gluten-free. Why endanger your health and if gluten-free is good enough for you then it is good enough for everyone else.

VydorScope Proficient

There is one very good reason NOT to make a gluten-free cake in secret... some ppl are alergic to stuff like RICE and since a gluten-free cake would have ingredents like RICE in it that would not be in a normal cake, it could be dangerous to serve it since no one outside of the gluten-free world would consider rice in a "normal" cake as much of a possiblity.

Just somthing for you to think about. :)

plantime Contributor
There is one very good reason NOT to make a gluten-free cake in secret... some ppl are alergic to stuff like RICE and since a gluten-free cake would have ingredents like RICE in it that would not be in a normal cake, it could be dangerous to serve it since no one outside of the gluten-free world would consider rice in a "normal" cake as much of a possiblity.

Just somthing for you to think about. :)

I agree, I agree!!

If you need a gluten cake, just go buy one. It will be much easier, and less risky, all the way around.

penguin Community Regular
I agree, I agree!!

If you need a gluten cake, just go buy one. It will be much easier, and less risky, all the way around.

Not to mention you'll know exactly how it's going to turn out :D

pinkpei77 Contributor

if anyone is ever craving carrot cake , heres a great super easy recipe

one bag Gluten-Free Pantry spice cake mix

one jar carrot baby food (the secret ingriedient)

some shredded carrots (if you have time)

1 cup of applesauce

1/3 cup of oil

mix it all together and bake about 20-25 minutes.

YUMMMMY!

no eggs,, no dairy!!!

thats the way i make it because i am vegan, but there is also a recipe on the bag.

and pilsbury cream cheese frosting is vegan and gluten-free!!

no one even realizes its gluten-free and VEGAN!!!

Archived