Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

8 8
cristiana

Pain - referred gastric or something else?

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, cristiana said:

Hi Kate

Don't apologise for going briefly off topic.  Your discussion with Trents has been very interesting and eye opening for me.

But just to say I had an appointment at a BC - sorry - by that I meant breast clinic, not British Columbia, more's the pity.  I'm British though and looking at your long list I have to say we share a lot of the same tastes. The real Downton Abbey is about an hour's drive from me, and they filmed some of the episodes of Foyles War in my home town.   However, you don't mention the detective programme "Vera".   I wonder if you like it?  Filmed in Northumbria which is a stunning part of England and cept the hero is a middle aged woman who couldn't care less about the things that preoccupy most women of her age - a refreshing change.   There is at least one other fan on this forum but I'll let them introduce themselves if they so wish - I suspect they will be reading this!

C

Hi C.  No I haven't seen/heard of "Vera" yet but it sounds really interesting!  I hope your MRI goes well and you are feeling better.

Today has been really hard for me.  I awoke this morning only to have stomach cramps followed by MULTIPLE loose BMs (about 4 this AM so far!).  Has Celiac ever so dramatically messed with your digestion or given you these kinds of crazy IBS-like symptoms?  I have also lost a few more pounds this past week.  I know I don't eat nearly as much as I should since all this (literally) "crap" with my digestion and food started last year, so I'm not surprised if I have developed indirect anorexia as well.   So ironic for me because I WANT to eat, used to LOVE eating and most food, and really miss normal digestion/eating!  But some days, the thought of food/eating almost disgusts me....I guess because I am so scared to eat, knowing it will likely only trigger more D, C, gas, cramps, and who wants that?  Oh well...enough of feeling sorry for myself.  Thanks for listening/responding!   

Join eNewsletter

56 minutes ago, Kate333 said:

Hi C.  No I haven't seen/heard of "Vera" yet but it sounds really interesting!  I hope your MRI goes well and you are feeling better.

Today has been really hard for me.  I awoke this morning only to have stomach cramps followed by MULTIPLE loose BMs (about 4 this AM so far!).  Has Celiac ever so dramatically messed with your digestion or given you these kinds of crazy IBS-like symptoms?  I have also lost a few more pounds this past week.  I know I don't eat nearly as much as I should since all this (literally) "crap" with my digestion and food started last year, so I'm not surprised if I have developed indirect anorexia as well.   So ironic for me because I WANT to eat, used to LOVE eating and most food, and really miss normal digestion/eating!  But some days, the thought of food/eating almost disgusts me....I guess because I am so scared to eat, knowing it will likely only trigger more D, C, gas, cramps, and who wants that?  Oh well...enough of feeling sorry for myself.  Thanks for listening/responding!   

Vera (if you like it) is great escapism!  She's a lady that loves cake and chips and all that healthy stuff, too, much to the consternation of her various detective sergeants.  

I'm so sorry that you have had all this trouble already this morning.  I have problems when I have too much dairy - mostly trapped gas and D.   My gastroenterologist is always telling me to give up dairy because he reckons it causes these IBS like-symptoms.   I had a colonoscopy late last year as I was sure I was getting something else because of pain, C, D etc but it turns out nothing - so I guess he must be right.  When I cut out dairy I do have great improvement - I guess I bring it on myself, but I do love yoghurt and cheese!   

When I was in A&E ten days ago the doctor investigating my heart etc asked if I had normal BMs.   To which I replied "D this morning, but anything is normal for me because I'm a coeliac".  He smiled knowingly   I do go through weeks and weeks of normality and then something upsets the system and I have to start all over again.

I'm afraid one's relationship with food can, understandably, become very complicated with celiac disease. Ditto gastritis/GERD.  

At the moment anyway I am getting terrible trapped wind in my upper torsoe and belching for England.  Thank goodness for strong chamomile tea.   

BTW - have you ever tried it?  Supposed to be excellent for gastritis, heartburn, stress etc.  I thought it was old wive's tales but I know that the Spanish use it as a gastric remedy and I really find it helpful.

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

10 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Vera (if you like it) is great escapism!  She's a lady that loves cake and chips and all that healthy stuff, too, much to the consternation of her various detective sergeants.  

I'm so sorry that you have had all this trouble already this morning.  I have problems when I have too much dairy - mostly trapped gas and D.   My gastroenterologist is always telling me to give up dairy because he reckons it causes these IBS like-symptoms.   I had a colonoscopy late last year as I was sure I was getting something else because of pain, C, D etc but it turns out nothing - so I guess he must be right.  When I cut out dairy I do have great improvement - I guess I bring it on myself, but I do love yoghurt and cheese!   

When I was in A&E ten days ago the doctor investigating my heart etc asked if I had normal BMs.   To which I replied "D this morning, but anything is normal for me because I'm a coeliac".  He smiled knowingly   I do go through weeks and weeks of normality and then something upsets the system and I have to start all over again.

I'm afraid one's relationship with food can, understandably, become very complicated with celiac disease. Ditto gastritis/GERD.  

At the moment anyway I am getting terrible trapped wind in my upper torsoe and belching for England.  Thank goodness for strong chamomile tea.   

BTW - have you ever tried it?  Supposed to be excellent for gastritis, heartburn, stress etc.  I thought it was old wive's tales but I know that the Spanish use it as a gastric remedy and I really find it helpful.

LOL.  I wish Vera aired here in "The Colonies" (I live in Northern California); it seems like great fun!  I get my daily telly "Brit-fix" from PBS (Public broadcasting System) and BBC and, unfortunately, Vera is not on either channel. (I don't have to translate that acronym for you!😉).  I esp. love the old rerun Brit-coms "Keeping Up Appearances"  (remember Hyacinth:  "That's Boookay not Bucket"!!) and "Time Passes By" (Dame Judy Dench). Years ago, I enjoyed  "Prime Suspect" with [now Dame] Helen Mirren as Det. Jane Tennyson.   That series was a HUGE hit here and even inspired a similar woman detective series "Murder She Wrote"...loosely based on the great Agatha Christie mysteries).  It starred the legendary Angela Lansbury (also a HUGE star here).  She is in her 90s and STILL does plays on Broadway!!  What a great role model!  How did I forget to include these wonderful women in my earlier "favorite things British" email?  Must be G "brain fog".😵  

I know what you mean about the...ahem...Wind Issue...I have a wicked sense of humor, normally would enjoy a good hearty laugh about all my (mouth and bum) "tooting" if I weren't so miserable from all the other symptoms (D,C, weight loss, muscle cramps).  I also get occasional chills and hand/foot coldness/numbness/tingling.  Do you ever get that?  Probably due to stress, vitamin deficiency more than gluten issues.  I was scoped (both ends) last Sept. and my GI doc said everything looked fine, exc. "mild" gastritis....

Thanks for the chamomile suggestion.  I tried ginger tea once..but it didn't seem to help. I'll try chamomile but it's difficult here to find strictly "pure" 1-ingredient tea bags (esp. gluten-free).  Most big retail teas seem to be only multi-blend (several different teas mixed into each bag)...  Well...that (substandard tea) is what we naughty Americans get for starting that all that bloody Boston Tea Party business back in 1773....🙂.  I really loved black tea (with ice and brown sugar), used to lap it up EVERY DAY by the GALLON years ago.  I gave it up after developing heartburn but herbal teas are probably not as acidic.

How do you Brits cope during the CV pandemic?  For me, music, walks outside for exercise (early AM to avoid crowds and high temps).  Re-reading old classic novels ("Wuthering Heights" this week).  I heard about PM Johnson ending up in hospital and Prince Charles testing positive.   They are very lucky to have survived it.  God bless Queen Eliz.  The woman seems to be made of Titanium Steel!  Speaking of royals, what do you make of "Duchess" Meghan Markle?  Sorry to be too snarky or offend (if you are a fan), but suffice it to say that we Americans spend a lot of time laughing, shaking our heads, rolling our eyes at her/Prince Harry's melodrama/antics.   They have ruffled quite a few feathers here since moving to California...The American tabloids have nicknamed her "ME-Again" Markle.

Take care and stay well,

Kate

Join eNewsletter

Yes, I've had the numbness, tingling and chills (the last always follows a bad glutening).   We sound very alike!   

I think Chamomile is definitely worth a go.  You are right - it needs to be the pure stuff.  For some reason it's quite easy to come by here - maybe the UK's proximity to mainland Europe where I think they must grow a lot of it.   I hope you find some soon.  I remember reading somewhere that it is important to let it steep for a while (I have it in mind around 5 minutes) but see how you get on.  An acquired taste but as I associated it with feeling better that taste was soon acquired.

Believe it or not Hyacinth Bucket lives not too far away from here.  I saw her waiting in a queue for a table in a restaurant about twenty years ago and what struck me was how unlike her screen persona she was.  Charming, gracious and not at all flashy!  

The CV pandemic has been a testing time.   A lot of people out there who are very careful to follow the rules as best they can, and a sizeable minority who seem to be flaunting the regulations at every turn.  Illegal raves, huge beach gatherings.... Very tough on the young, but I fear it's just going to prolong the pain.

With regards to M&H, I must say I feel very sad that things have turned out the way they have.   However, as you say, the Queen is made of titanium.  I'm a real fan.  Won tickets to go to QEII's Golden Jubilee Concert at Buckingham Palace years ago.  The whole Royal Family was there and strangely, also, Mr Bean!    

Anyway, hope you are having a better day.  

C

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

Hi C.

Mr. Bean is a hoot!  I also loved to watch Monty Python & the Flying Circus.  How cool to meet Hyacinth and thanks for sharing your memories of her.  That woman made me laugh to the point of tears whenever I saw her on the telly.

You are so lucky to have been invited to Buckingham Palace!  How exciting!  I really think you folks in the UK have more access to the Royal Family than we Americans have to our officials...The only people who seem to be "invited" to the WH are politicians and campaign donors or "props" (people needed for photo ops).  Trump has become VERY disliked here, esp. as the CV illness/deaths skyrocket.  He had a campaign rally in Oklahoma recently and only a third of the seats were filled so I think he is headed for a big defeat in Nov. elections. 

K

Join eNewsletter