This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Manufactured gluten-free Products

MallysMama

angielackner Contributor

i cant stand the vans waffles...i think they taste like cardboard.

for the pamela's cookies i like the choc chunk with walnut...those rock...especially with some choc milk. but honestly for cookies, nothing beats the whole foods gluten-free bakery choc chip...yummmmmm! :P

angie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TCA Contributor

I didn't like the apple cinnamon Bann's waffles either. The choc. chip mini waffles are really good and I like the blueberry. Both are a little sweet, so I eat them plain. It's my in a hurry and can't cook breakfast.

Yesterday was my 30th Bday and we had a pamela's chocolate cake. We made it with the rich recipe using fat free sour cream and topped it with Coconut Pecan iceing from betty crocker....YUM! That's what I had for breakfast this morning...... Happy B-day to me!!!! :D

pturse Apprentice
The one thing I eat even thought it is produced in a facility that contains wheat is Baked Lays Potato Chips. I have no will power for these. I end up eating the whole bag in two days. I try not to get them that often, but I totally love them.

Oh, I can't agree with you enough on the Baked Lays! I LOVE them and like you, two days tops is all it takes for me to eat the ENTIRE bag! I could probably do it in one sitting too! :lol: But I try to have SOME will power. :rolleyes:

I am trying to limit myself to buying those only the weekend . . . and not every weekend. Though I have been craving them like mad the last two days. B)

cgilsing Enthusiast
This topic might better belong in the food section...but it kind of goes with coping. I'm not coping well with the manufactured products available! I'm having issues with how nasty tasting most of them turn out to be! I spend way too much money to try something new and 9 times out of 10 I gag on it. (I'm probably just too picky and my tastebuds too sensitive.) Out of $40 spent today on new gluten-free foods - I've liked $4.00 of it so far! :blink: I bought this box fettucini alfredo dinner where you just add your own chicken. It looked SO good on the box. Yeah - the noodles in the picture were probably regular pasta...NOT the crap that happened to be in the box! After one bite I wanted to send it all down the garbage disposal... but I figured maybe if I keep eating it, I'll get used to it. So, I ate a small portion....nope, still didn't like it! I found one thing I liked today - a box of chocolate cookies that weren't too bad - okay, actually good! I don't often make homemade stuff because of how long it takes....so I tend to cheat more often when it comes to snacking... so I hoped that buying some manufactured gluten-free stuff might help me. It didn't so far.

Please tell me some of the ready-made foods (or even mixes if you REALLY liked them) that you eat because you want to, not because you're starving and have no other options! :D

There are a lot of really good products out there! Unfortunatlly there are a lot of bad ones too! :lol: I agree that the Tinkyada pasta is the best around, 'Cause your special mixes are really tastey and easy to make, Pamela's chocolate chunk cookies = yum!, kinnickinnick hamburger buns, donuts, english muffins....etc. are all really good! Oh and nut thin crackers....I don't know how many (non gluten-free) people have asked me where I got them because they want to get a box too! I'm not going to say that all of these things are EXACTLY like the original. Some like the Tinkyada pasta come pretty close though. I remember when I started eating gluten-free that the gluten-free taste seemed to be in everything. I don't detect it at all anymore, which makes me think that over time you get accustomed to your food. Actually the last time I was glutened I remember taking a bite of the offending food and thinking something didn't taste good about it. It tasted metalic or something. It's all a matter of what you are used to I guess! ;) That's not a bad thing either, my husband (who can eat anything he wants) recently told me at a restaurant that he didn't like his pasta because it wasn't like at home! HA :P

blueshift Apprentice

I must be a small minority..I can't digest Kinnikinnick donuts at all and don't find much success with their breads either. Seems to be a puzzle.

MallysMama Explorer

I tried the waffles again today - with LOTS of syrup (and cooked them longer in the toaster). There was a moment when I lingered too long on a bite and almost gagged....but overall they weren't too bad and I could get used to them if I'm too lazy to make homemade ones. :D However, I cannot seem to find any of the kinnikinnick products. Where are you all finding them?? I've checked two health food stores so far...and the regular grocery stores around here certainly don't have them. Do I have to order them online? I went to visit my family yesterday (2 hours away) and I brought home my mom's supply of the amazing rice flour (since she no longer has a need (me) for it there) and I went to the health food store there and almost bought them out of Tinkyada white rice spaghetti! Yum! I guess those are the two Gluten-free things I'll have to live on!

CMCM Rising Star

I get all my kinnikinnick things online. $10 shipping for up to $200 in goods, I think it is. It's not worth it unless you order a certain number of items.

www.kinnikinnick.com

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cgilsing Enthusiast

I'm glad you are finding a few things you like! I'm sorry you are having so much trouble finding kinnickinnick though! I usually buy their products at the health food store in the frozen section, but I have bought online too. Some people have mentioned the texture of the Pamela's cookies......I always got the chocolate chunk ones because that is all our grocery carries, but this weekend I visited a healthfood store out of town and picked up some of their peanutbutter ones. Whoa those were really different in texture! :blink: I see what you are all talking about with the grittiness!! Try the chocolate chunk ones...they are MUCH better!

MallysMama Explorer

I went onto the kinnikinnick website last night and found some things I figured I'd try. It came to about 42.00...so not much more than I spent at the healthfood store. Only problem - they don't take American Express!! :angry: My hubby has a visa credit card - that I've never bothered to add myself to (I don't like credit cards very much and hardly use them)....so I have to wait till he's home before ordering the food. Hopefully it'll be worth the time and money!!

jaten Enthusiast
I also love Pamela's cookies - Yummy. And, it has it's own thread going right now, Kozy Shack puddings are really good.

4getgluten or anybody....where is this thread? Has anyone noticed the change in Pamela's Pecan Shortbread cookie? Not just the box, the cookie recipe has changed :(

skinnyminny Enthusiast
I tried the waffles again today - with LOTS of syrup (and cooked them longer in the toaster). There was a moment when I lingered too long on a bite and almost gagged....but overall they weren't too bad and I could get used to them if I'm too lazy to make homemade ones. :D However, I cannot seem to find any of the kinnikinnick products. Where are you all finding them?? I've checked two health food stores so far...and the regular grocery stores around here certainly don't have them. Do I have to order them online? I went to visit my family yesterday (2 hours away) and I brought home my mom's supply of the amazing rice flour (since she no longer has a need (me) for it there) and I went to the health food store there and almost bought them out of Tinkyada white rice spaghetti! Yum! I guess those are the two Gluten-free things I'll have to live on!

I Love the apple cinnimon, they are my favorite, we toast them a long time and get them crispy for about 3 mins and flip them after each minute, we top them with Crunchy peanutbutter and apple butter, they are great!

Guhlia Rising Star

I swear by Lara Bars (apple pie, pecan pie, and chocolate mole are my favorite). They definitely satisfy my sweet tooth. All of the Glutano brand stuff that I've tried thus far has been wonderful and exceeded my expectations. I'm particularly fond of the custard cream biscuits and the Chocolate O's (Oreos).

When I'm in the mood for munch food I really enjoy Mary's Gone Crackers with cream cheese dip (Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cracked black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and a hint of parsley). I'm also really big on cheese dip and the new Black Pepper Doritos (Velveeta cheese melted with diced onion and green pepper). Lays Stax are good too.

Philly Swirls are way good for hot days. All of the Philly Swirls are gluten free.

For super quick meals I like frozen Amy's Rice Crust Pizza and frozen Amy's Rice Macaroni and Cheese. I also really like the Mrs. Leepers meals (except for the cheeseburger macaroni which I think tastes too fake). You just have to be really careful to not overcook the noodles or they turn into mush. I also really like some of the other frozen Amy's tv dinners, but I can't remember which ones.

If you're just looking to try new things and expand your horizons, you might want to look at getting a Magic Bullet from Homeland Housewares. I'm making myself all kinds of new and interesting things that I thought I would never be able to have again like stuffed mushrooms, chocolate mousse, cheescake (without the crust), etc... Those things are really great for quick, fun, and easy recipes. Most of the recipes that come with the book are naturally gluten free too which is totally awesome. Plus, you can make out of this world, fresh sorbet for pennies!!!

Okay, I'm done with my little infomercial. I just had to throw that in. I'm on a Magic Bullet kick this month. Gosh, I love that thing! :) Good luck on your hunt for new things! Let us know if you find anything really good.

Archived