Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
7 7
Roy Rowlett

Throat ulcers - Celiac disease - fatal complication

Rate this topic

My mother was born in 1918.  She had three children. I am the youngest, born in 1946. She suffered from severe mouth and throat ulcers. I don't know when this started with her. She was treated at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota(?)  She had her mouth and throat ulcers cauterized with silver nitrate regularly.  She could barely eat because of her condition. 

One night when she was 32 and I was 4, her throat ulcers ate into her jugular vein and hemorrhaged.  She bled to death.  The doctor said that if she had been on the operating table when it happened, they would not have been able to save her. Her last words were, "I can't die, the children need me". We have always wondered what her condition was. 

I haven't been able to find a death certificate for her to see what they put down as the cause of death. My sister has gluten intolerance problems and my DNA testing with 23&me.com shows that I have some predisposition for Celiac Disease. I am curious about what was known about Celiac disease in 1950 when she died. If she had gluten intolerance and the throat ulcers were caused by Celiac disease it occurs to me that if she had gone on a gluten free diet she might have survived. 

Have any of you heard of this sort of complication resulting in death?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have not head of throat and mouth ulcers in connection with Celiac Disease. Could this have been some sort of fungal condition like thrush or a vitamin/mineral deficiency disease? Vitamin and mineral deficiencies are common with Celiac Disease.

What about yourself? Have you been tested for Celiac Disease apart from the genetic disposition?

Certainly celiac disease can cause severe canker sores:

as well as many other issues involving nutrient deficiencies, like beriberi among others. 

Just knowing that she may have had genetic markers for celiac disease isn't enough information, because more than 20% of people have the genetic markers, yet don't ever develop celiac disease. More information would likely be needed.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

4 hours ago, trents said:

I have not head of throat and mouth ulcers in connection with Celiac Disease. Could this have been some sort of fungal condition like thrush or a vitamin/mineral deficiency disease? Vitamin and mineral deficiencies are common with Celiac Disease.

What about yourself? Have you been tested for Celiac Disease apart from the genetic disposition?

If you Google "celiac disease throat ulcers" you will see a lot about it.

4 hours ago, trents said:

I have not been tested for this.  I have no symptoms.

4 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Certainly celiac disease can cause severe canker sores:

as well as many other issues involving nutrient deficiencies, like beriberi among others. 

Just knowing that she may have had genetic markers for celiac disease isn't enough information, because more than 20% of people have the genetic markers, yet don't ever develop celiac disease. More information would likely be needed.

Since she was not cured or helped with her condition, I presume that the doctors did not know what was causing her ulcers. When did Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance become known? She died in 1950 at age 32, 70 years ago.

From what I understand, Celiac Disease was first identified during WWII by a Dutch physician. There was a certain area of Holland that was cut off from food supplies by the German army and the population in the area eventually ran out of wheat flour and bread but there was other food available, dairy and some meat I imagine, but some folks cooked their tulip bulbs and ate them. This physician noticed that some of his patients who had been sickly all their lives actually got healthier during the wheat embargo and he made the connection. But it's only been in about the last  25 years that their has been much awareness at all in the medical community about Celiac Disease.

Roy,

Here is a couple links on the History of Celiac disease that might help  answer you question.

But the short answer is no....the test for gluten antibodies wasn't discovered until the early to mid 60s..

https://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/celiac-history/#:~:text=A Brief Timeline of Celiac Disease First Century,with signs of failure to thrive and malnutrition

https://www.uclahealth.org/gastro/celiac/history-of-celiac-disease

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

Roy,

If you have mouth uclers yourself.  Scott has given you a nice article on it.

Here is  a nice recent thread on Cankers Sore that might help you.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

Hi Roy,

Here's a link to a list of GI disorders.  I am not sure if Crohn's Disease could cause your mother's symptoms but it does cause ulcers in the lower GI system.  Eisonophilic esopahgitis is also a GI disorder and does affect the throat and esophagus.  But I don't think it causes ulcers like that.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/7040-gastrointestinal-disorders

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

8 hours ago, DJFL77I said:

canker soars aint gonna kill anyone

says the guy with the bleeding throat........  🙄

i was actually going to refer YOU to this thread, bud.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator