This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hey rachel

I was reading that post about MSG and that we need more magnesium and potassium in order for the gluthon something to work. How to get more magnesium in our diets? Is there food rich in them or supplements we take?

You need glutathione for mercury detox. Since we became so toxic from mercury its likely we depleted our body's glutathione.

Heres some ways how that can happen....

GSH = Glutathione

Cigarette smoke contains literally thousands of chemicals and one puff of smoke has some trillion free radicals in it. Your body's Vitamin C and E literally die a miserable death and the tars which remain in the body go on creating free radicals for their life time.

Some of the over the counter drugs, which many consider relatively harmless such as acetaminophen, depletes GSH from liver cells, making the liver more susceptible to toxicity.

Even exercise can deplete GSH, because of the demand by the body to produce more ATP for energy.

This, in days gone by would have been counteracted by our diets...rich and full of nutrients, but unfortunately, today with processing and harvesting while not ripened..this is no longer the case. The ardent exerciser would be wise to include GSH in their diet.

A list of some of the other factors which depletes GSH would include:

-Organophosphate pesticides

-Cholesterol and any other steroids, such as the birth control pill, hormone replacement therapy, etc.

-a dietary deficiency of methionine - a very important amino acid and precursor to GSH..your liver uses 70% of dietary intake

-ionizing radiation, whether X-rays or sunlight

-tissue injury from burns, surgery, or any trauma

-Iron overload - iron catalyzes free radical generation

-bacterial or viral infections

-alcohol consumption

-benzopyrenes of barbecued foods

Lifestyle choices such as stress, emotional and mental, alcohol, smoking, drug use (legal or illegal) can mix with exogenous toxins to produce no end of oxidative pathways which eventually deplete the body of GSH and other antioxidants, resulting in chronic illness.

It is for this reason, that mercury patients have to be looked at from all of these parameters to successfully detox and return them to health.

The liver, being the organ most involved with detoxing also is the main storage port for GSH. The cells of the liver are the most finely adapted to produce GSH from its precursors, to recycle it from its oxidized form GSSG and to actually use GSH to combat toxins.

It should be understood, though that a decent level of GSH in the liver does not necessarily mean your detox paths will be the best. In fact, our own GSH stores are meant to keep endogenous toxins under control and now with the world we live in to consider, one should pay attention to add other antioxidants, B Vitamins and minerals to your supplementation to aid GSH in its now overwhelming job.

So this last paragraph basically answers your question. You will need lots of supplementation to restore gluathione and to detox mercury. Your Dr. should know this and give you what you need.

You'll need minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, glutathione precursers, Vit. C, B12, etc.

This is the quote you read from my post earlier today.....

The powerful antioxidant glutathione consists of two of these excitotoxins, cysteine and glutamic acid, plus glycine. However, glutathione can only be formed from these amino acids when magnesium, potassium, and sufficient energy are all present.

So.....look at the ingredients of your whey protein.......you should see that it contains

L-Cysteine, L-Glutamic acid and Glycine.

These are the amino acids needed to form glutathione....they are precursers to gluathione.

The whey protein should also contain Magnesium and Potassium.

So yeah.....the whey protein is good stuff. :)

The whey protein needs to be "unadenatured" though....otherwise its no good. If its "denatured" the protein is inactive and pretty much ruined.

I also take the Comprehensive Minerals I told you about.....there's potassium, magnesium and a bunch of other minerals in it. My Dr. has me taking 3 of these a day.....to build up my mineral levels for detox.

I cant tolerate Vitamin C right now.....otherwise I'd be on it...its important for detox.

Now that you're gonna be seeing this new Dr....she should be able to put you on the right supplementation to try to boost your immune function and help your body to start detoxing some of this mercury on its own.

It seems that glutathione plays a BIG role in detoxification...

GSH (glutathione) is essential for the survival of all living organisms... meaning your ability to be alive!

*Glutathione is an antioxidant, immune booster and detoxifier, without it, your cells would disintegrate from unrestrained oxidation, your body would have little resistance to bacteria, viruses and cancer, and your liver would shrivel up from eventual accumulation of toxins.

Glutathione is not yet a common word... even doctors who have heard of the term may only have a vague idea of it. There was a time when only scientists had heard of cholesterol and vitamins, but today everyone knows about them.

Now it's glutathione's turn... in the last five years, over 25,000 medical articles have been published about this substance.

Scientific understanding is gradually becoming common knowledge.

Each and every cell in the body is responsible for its own supply of glutathione, and must have the necessary raw materials to make it. Glutathione is always in great demand and is rapidly consumed when we experience any sort of pressure, illness, stress, fatigue and even excercise.

Glutathione levels also diminish as we age and many diseases normally asociated with aging have been linked to glutathione difficiency.

Intracellular GSH status appears to be a sensitive indicator of the cells overall health, and its ability to resist toxic challenges. According to Dr. Boyd Haley of the University of Kentucky..."Autism...is ALL about the glutathione."

I'll also be starting on my daily Vit. B12 shots very soon. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rachel--24 Collaborator

I got a voicemail from Dr. Amy's nurse today (she was very nice :) ). She said they're gonna be running the saliva test tomorrow but I'll have to wait awhile longer for the results to get back and for Amy to look it over.

She said my B12 prescription slipped through the cracks but she'll be calling the pharmacy tomorrow and will then call me with all the info.

I had been wondering why I hadnt heard from the pharmacy yet....I'm anxious to get started on the shots. :)

I have an appt. with Dr. S. on Friday so I'll be asking him for his input on the B12 shots and everything else. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
[oh, happy to note no scatalogical effects today WHATsoever!!]

Dang.....I wish I could rachel a whole bag of almond kisses...(or almond joys) and have NO symptoms WHATsoever!!! :blink:

Gosh....was that another lifetime when I used to be able to do that?? :unsure:

Susan....glad there was no scatalogical "aftermath". ;)

dlp252 Apprentice
I have an appt. with Dr. S. on Friday so I'll be asking him for his input on the B12 shots and everything else. :)

And I see him on Tuesday! :)

tom Contributor

Hey Everyone! :)

(I've been meaning to write this for a while)

I don't think I've mentioned how glad I am to have stumbled upon this happy hamlet you've all created. There's no freeway exit; no signs posted anywhere.

Just a curious celiac wondering how a thread gets to a galactic 4digit-page# length.

Such an admirable group of regulars helping each other thru so many of the toughest of times & over SUCH a long stretch of time.

I find it extraordinary. Long Live Rachelville!!!!!

:D:):)

mftnchn Explorer
Julie, wow, it didn't last long off them, did it? At least on them you feel fine! I'm sure it won't take long to get to that point again.

Does your LLMD go after all three forms of the bacteria at once? Mine does, three different meds (two abx and one cyst buster). It makes sense because the bacteria has no chance of getting away.

Did he have you do things to stregthen your immune system? Mine believes that meds are only the first step, then you have to get your immune system built up to handle the rest.

What about coinfections? Babesia is the one I've been dealing with. The borrelia can hide behind the babs, so if the babs isn't treated the Lyme can come back.

I'm just mentioning that so maybe there's something there that will help you be able to get off abx more successfully next time. I'm sure that with dealing with this so much longer than I, you probably know this stuff better than I do. :)

I think the only way gluten-free might have upset your balance is if the bacteria was dormant and with going gluten-free your own immune system kicked in ... then realized the bacteria was there which stirred things up.

Yes, hopefully it won't be such a major journey back!

I have borrelia, babesia, and erlich...(sp?), at least those three initially tested positive. Haven't tested for awhile.

Yes, initially it was two antibiotics plus flagyl for the reasons you say, trying to do courses that hit all of them. And yes, my doc has the same message about building up the immune system to deal with the rest.

Currently my doctor is starting gently with 1 abx plus flagyl (for the cysts) because of the stomach problems I've had the last two years. I'm hoping this will be enough with the cat's claw and TF.

Seems like I ought to go the Chinese herb route, but haven't found a doctor here that knows ANYTHING about lyme and the herbal approach in the book isn't clear when what you have available is the raw herbs.

Yes, you might be right about the Bb being dormant. It is hard to know. JUst am aware that after Gluten-free Casein-free my body is really shifting, and have been ill more than well. You'd think if my immune system kicked in, it would have worked to keep the Bb under control??

Sherry

mftnchn Explorer
From what I've read on LN.....it seems like this is why people relpase...they arent resolving the other issues before stoping their Lyme treatment.

Yes I think you are correct, Rachel (the whole post). I thought I had reached that point, but then discovered the celiac after going off lyme treatment. And while I had been treating the mercury for several years (fillings removed '01) DMPS for 2 years, the level hasn't changed too much yet. Doc says as the celiac resolves I may be able to excrete better. Of course with more abx comes more candida issues.

Sherry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice

Was today Jin's exam? :unsure:

Yes, my LLMD said that you have to build up the immune system to "take care of the rest." He implied that if you built the immune system up enough it would actually get rid of all of it. I know opinions vary on this.

I asked him if he had Lyme, thinking it was a forever thing, he answered that he used to.

I think what is key is building up the immune system and then living a way of life that supports that. At that point whether or not it is completely gone becomes irrelevent because you have tamed the bugs and you are well. :)

I suspect there are many more relapses when people simply do the ABX and return to a lifestyle that doesn't support wellness.

This is also why they tested Chloe for so much, including food allergies (isn't it amazing that she doesn't have ANY at all?). Her lead was slightly elevated, not as much as mine ... the PA said Chloe's was the lowest she had ever seen in anyone coming through that office, but they are still going to treat her for it since it is elevated (it's a 9 and it should be below 4 .... mine was 12).

I think we are on the same page when it comes to Lyme although our treatments may differ. :)

That is great that they will be treating Chloe for the lead, and you had lead also which makes me wonder how you were exposed to it. :( What about the other children?

Rinne! I have a question!

Any idea if there's some downside to crushing peeled Ginger in a garlic press?

Sometimes I'm just sick of more chopping.

Wonderful to have a visit to look forward to, I hope it is great. Does this mean you won't be posting as much. :ph34r::P:lol: Teasing. :lol:

As to your question. I don't think it would really work, mind you with manly strength :P you might be able to press the ginger through. I suspect you would get more in the way of juice than what you want though.

If you have a food processor you can do a cup or two at once (with a little water) and then freeze it on a flat sheet and just chop off pieces as you need them. If you don't have one I highly recommend purchasing one, the small ones are not so expensive. The Kitchen Aid I have has two blades and you can use one for slicing vegetables thinly or grating and the other for chopping. :)

Mtndog Collaborator

OMG- I can finally post! Everytime I've tried to log on in the last 24 hours, the connection timed out on me so I've been reading along in my emails but unable to respond. It was like being gagged! Drove me crazy and now I'm too tired to post. Hope some of the good pics are still up (Tom, Donna, andrea).

Hope all is well and I have to say...today was two weeks on the antibiotics (I added plaquenil today) and my hubby and i have already noticed subtle changes in enery and mood! Yeah! :D

rinne Apprentice

Hi Patti. :)

I don't think I've mentioned how glad I am to have stumbled upon this happy hamlet you've all created. There's no freeway exit; no signs posted anywhere.

Just a curious celiac wondering how a thread gets to a galactic 4digit-page# length.

Such an admirable group of regulars helping each other thru so many of the toughest of times & over SUCH a long stretch of time.

How quickly you have discovered why we go....:wub: :wub: :wub:

:) I'm impressed.

Yes, initially it was two antibiotics plus flagyl for the reasons you say, trying to do courses that hit all of them. And yes, my doc has the same message about building up the immune system to deal with the rest.

Sherry, I'm so glad that your doctor understands the importance of supporting the immune system. I hope the journey back is easier this time. :)

Hope all is well and I have to say...today was two weeks on the antibiotics (I added plaquenil today) and my hubby and i have already noticed subtle changes in enery and mood! Yeah! :D

Wow, that is great news Bev. :wub:

AndreaB Contributor

That's why we love it here so much. :wub:

Two weeks already! Glad to hear the plaquenil is going good. :D

I've missed you, been wondering where you were.

CarlaB Enthusiast

You have almost earned voting rights! Now you know why we all hang out here ... do you talk about us to your friends yet? That's always weird. Hubby knows almost all of you by name. :lol:

We have love fests around here every once in a while. :wub:

I have borrelia, babesia, and erlich...(sp?), at least those three initially tested positive. Haven't tested for awhile.

I have a clinical diagnosis of babs, but no other coinfections. My babs symptoms only show up now during a herx. :)

Do you see Dr. H in NY?

Currently my doctor is starting gently with 1 abx plus flagyl (for the cysts) because of the stomach problems I've had the last two years. I'm hoping this will be enough with the cat's claw and TF.

Seems like I ought to go the Chinese herb route, but haven't found a doctor here that knows ANYTHING about lyme and the herbal approach in the book isn't clear when what you have available is the raw herbs.

I get the stomach issues, too. They get worse during herxes. The coffee enemas we've talked about here have helped tremendously! I have gone from d almost every day to maybe once a week after some food I don't normally eat. :rolleyes:

Chinese herbs ... that would be neat to try. The acupuncturist I was seeing for a while before I was diagnosed had me on some for fatigue. They helped a little, but since we weren't treating the cause, they didn't help a lot.

Yes, you might be right about the Bb being dormant. It is hard to know. JUst am aware that after Gluten-free Casein-free my body is really shifting, and have been ill more than well. You'd think if my immune system kicked in, it would have worked to keep the Bb under control??

Maybe the immune system just found it and started trying to attack it causing a flare because the bacteria became active. Just a theory.

Sherry

:lol: Sorry, why'd I call you Julie anyway??? :blink:

YAY!! :D

CarlaB Enthusiast

Well, I'm still on my detour from Rachelville to Herxville. It's still not as bad as normal ... I'm still getting around okay, but the profound fatigue is back. I still have my air hunger ... added muscle aches today. This is how I used to feel when I wasn't herxing. :)

tabasco32 Apprentice

Hey Rachel.

I have the finest biologically active non-denatured whey protein. Full range and highest levels of naturally occurring glutathione precursors, covalent bonded cysteine, lactoferrin, immunoglobulins, and active peptides. At least that's what is says on the container.

It has sodium, potassium, calcium, immunoglobulins, and lactoferrin but I see no magnesiium.

Its hormone free, non pesticides desease free cows that graze on grass only.

would this be o.k.? ImmunoPro RX you can google it and let me know what you think.

I bought the one you take but I can't do soy.

tom Contributor
Wonderful to have a visit to look forward to, I hope it is great. Does this mean you won't be posting as much. :ph34r::P:lol: Teasing. :lol:

I just hope it doesn't mean I'll be at the Zoo when it's 115!!!! :wacko:

For them to come from Alaska to *this* has to be a shock. The overnight low will exceed their year high. :P :P :P (panting)

As to your question. I don't think it would really work, mind you with manly strength :P you might be able to press the ginger through. I suspect you would get more in the way of juice than what you want though.

LOL :lol::lol: it isn't THAT hard!!!!! :blink:

Depsite losing a good deal of strength when I dropped from ~194lbs to <145, I've been doing it for more than a year.

Seems ~1/2 gets thru, and I think the juice is flavor. But I usually end up using most of the pieces left behind too.

It wasn't so much the chopping I was tired of as the standing there. Didn't take long for the back to start up.

BUT! I just found out earlier, at the point of chicken prep where I'm used to having to sit down for a rest, I didn't have to yet! (Tom's pretty psyched!!!)

Ok back to the ginger press. I was more wondering if there was something fundamentally wrong that I wouldn't think of. Like I've had to say "ohh no no no . . . . No" over something to a newbie sax player.

If you have a food processor you can do a cup or two at once (with a little water) and then freeze it on a flat sheet and just chop off pieces as you need them. If you don't have one I highly recommend purchasing one, the small ones are not so expensive. The Kitchen Aid I have has two blades and you can use one for slicing vegetables thinly or grating and the other for chopping. :)

Heyyyyyyyyyy, that sounds good!

I have a KitchenAid too. Big one, but not the top model. Maybe the 1st that incl the mini-bowl. I should use it more.

The only thing I do regularly is pesto.

I would like more things to make that can then go in freezer.

Made mayo b4 - no vinegar - but while not doing leftovers, I can't just put it in fridge and expect it to be some sort of exception.

So it's too much effort for one ingred of one meal.

I got it right before finding the candida. Grrrrrrr

tabasco32 Apprentice
Dang.....I wish I could rachel a whole bag of almond kisses...(or almond joys) and have NO symptoms WHATsoever!!! :blink:

MMMM speaking of almond joy, there's this ice cream parlor in Fresno that I use to go to that had big pieces of alomon joy in vanilla ice cream. mmmm I can taste it already. Fresno is waiting for us to get better Rachel. :P

tabasco32 Apprentice

Yyyyeeaaaahhhh, koodos to that!! :lol: ouuhhh remember koodos bars?

tabasco32 Apprentice
OMG- I can finally post! Everytime I've tried to log on in the last 24 hours, the connection timed out on me so I've been reading along in my emails but unable to respond. It was like being gagged! Drove me crazy and now I'm too tired to post. Hope some of the good pics are still up (Tom, Donna, andrea).

YYYeeaaa for you YYYYEEEAAA, I'm glad you feel good today. I do too! :)

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Carla, Rinne, Rachel, and Andrea,

I agree that no food is safe from junk now. The additives and chemicals are out of control! If I was able to go organic, I would do it in a heartbeat! :) I told the guy at the healthfood store, he will know if I won the lottery, because he will be seeing a lot more of me! Also, I said I would probably even buy the place, and he said they might take me up on that offer! :lol:

Dear Carla,

I feel the same way about Sherry's situation. It is highly likely the Lyme was stirred up by her immune system recovering after she went gluten-free. That makes a lot of sense to me! You are impaired by the gluten when you consume it. After avoiding it, the system begins to replenish itself, causing more strong reactions.

Dear Rinne, Carla, Donna, and Rachel,

Sugar could do this. I think it is bad for us. Human beings are the only animal species born craving it! Did you know that? We are addicted from birth, possibly before! :o Natural sugars are okay, though. Maple syrup, maple sugar, agave nectar, honey, and molasses are not bad for you in reasonable amounts.

Dear Rinne,

I am glad you provided us links to all of those articles! Those are good reminders of what lurks in our food. There are too many dangers! MSG is only one of them. It is terribly frightening how bad for us even food we think is healthy actually is.

I have normally been on here by now. I did not have my exam today. We have all week to take it. Keep your fingers crossed! I do not know if I will pass.

I hope so! Finance is really tough. I had to go out to see the hairdresser today. I wanted to see if she could do what I wanted to my hair. She said it can. :) We are doing a patch test on Monday to be safe!

Dear Rachel,

Thank you for posting all of the scientificness with the MSG and glutathione! Who would have thought? I am glad you posted about the fact the Japanese actually invented it. They have unfairly blamed the Chinese for MSG! :angry: That is all wrong! It has been dubbed "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome". That shows how much people really know about where foods come from.

Dear tom,

Nice avatar! It looks so peaceful! I would not mind visiting a Dude Ranch and riding a horse or two. I think it would be fun! I do not like the hot weather so much, though.

I am glad you will get to visit with your family. That will be great spending time with everyone! They sure are in for a shock! It probably is not near that warm in Alaska! You live in a very uncomfortable climate!

I knew you would figure out why we go to Rachelville eventually! Maybe you will be able to vote someday! :lol:

You have to keep working for it! :lol: It is wonderful we have each other. Most people have no idea what we are dealing with. Everyone here can help you figure out things while supporting you emotionally. :) Finding friends like that is rare!

You know how you were talking about having difficulty with chopping? I love the Magic Bullet! We had one that broke, because there was a pudding explosion. :( My Dad would not listen to me. It was awful. There was pudding all over the place, and it got down into the electric mechanism of it, and ruined it.

My brother had bought that one for Dad's birthday. I needed one so bad for my gluten-free diet. Prep time would be cut by quite a bit. Crushing garlic is a royal pain. This machine is the best.

I was doing shakes with protein powder for a while, and it is the only thing that mixed it up properly! If you could only afford one kitchen gadget, this is the one to have! It is the best. My brother had one he was not using for anything but crushing ice, but it did not do what he wanted. He gave it to me! :) Dad is NOT allowed to touch it, either! :lol:

Dear Sherry,

That Lyme relapse is sounding complicated. You have those nasty co-infections as well. That further adds to the burder. Treating Babs and the others is key to beating the Lyme. We just have to do what we can when we are able.

I am surprised that there does not seem to be more knowledge about it in China. I wonder why. Perhaps it is not as common there as it is here? Diagnostics are likely poor, though. The medical care is not very good.

Dear Susie,

I am so glad you survived the chocolate binge! ;) I have been racheling Fritos, which I had no business doing. I am done. I am not allowed any more Fritos! I had trouble with my stomach hurting today from too much fat. Those things are fried.

Dear Bev,

I am so glad you are feeling better! A little progress is progress! ;) That sounds so encouraging! For starting treatment not too long ago, you seem to be doing quite well! I am so happy for you!

Dear Lisa,

I am so happy to hear you are feeling good today! What great news! :) I remember those Kudos bars! They were so good! I used to eat them all the time when I was a kid! I miss those things! I wish someone made gluten-free ones!

Sincerely,

Jin

Rachel--24 Collaborator
would this be o.k.? ImmunoPro RX you can google it and let me know what you think.

I bought the one you take but I can't do soy.

I think it looks really good. :)

If your new Dr. wants you take magnesium...you can just take it seperately.

I copied some of the info about your whey protein...

Whey Protein and Immune Health

Biologically active whey protein has been formally recognized by the medical community for improving immune system function and detoxification. The Physician

tom Contributor
:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

. . . . . .the whole bag. :ph34r:

ack tsu-sey! Been there. Long ago there'd be little stretches where Hershey's was practically a staple. :wacko::lol:

But the kisses had too high an unwrapping/eating quotient. That's where the Nuggets come in. :P

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Lisa,

My Dr. also has me taking this (which I got at Whole Foods).

Open Original Shared Link

N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine 500m

Jarrow N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine 500mg (100 Caps)

An Antioxidant Amino Acid

N-Acetyl-l-Cysteine (NAC) is an amino acid and antioxidant. It is a precursor in the body to the critical antioxidant glutathione, which is produced intracellularly, primarily by the liver. nac is significantly more cost effective than taking glutathione.

The capsules are gelatin....but I just take the powder out and take it with water.

This is something your Dr. might end up having you take.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Its still sometimes hard for me to believe we've been here this long. :huh:

It is extraordinary....even moreso when we're all recovered and can look back at everything we went through together.

I cant imagine what my life would've been like going through all this w/out having this very special place to come to each and every day. Its made a HUGE difference in my life....given me strength, knowledge, friendship, support....and of course...lots of laughs. :D

This thread (and all of its participants :) ) has been a huge blessing for me. :wub:

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Rachel,

That is pretty fascinating! I am glad you gave us the URL. That way, we can bookmark these sites! Let's just say my favorites are really loaded up! I really like to have this information accessible!

Sincerely,

Jin

tom Contributor
You have almost earned voting rights! Now you know why we all hang out here ... do you talk about us to your friends yet?

Oh please! I think u know darn well u have no intention of letting the men vote!! I'm not falling for it ya big tease. :P

The closest we'll get is carrying the ballot box.

LMAO at the talking to friends!! Just a few so far, but they don't get it.

Oh man that reminds me. Weird thing today. I was supposed to see this guy, that I *do* know well, but he seems to be suddenly paranoid, as if I'm not the honorable gentleman others (and he should) know me to be.

I feel like asking what he's been eating, since I can't help but look at diet 1st these last few yrs.

My Mom had some visual freakouts at Costco and wanted to blame the lights.

But now we know it was her cheating on gluten w/ all the samples!

Archived