This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

tom Contributor

Grrr wanted P.S. but got double-post.

(not so)P.S. Avatar I grabbed a few days ago while at that Alaskan Motherlode Lodge site. Nice shot huh?

File under "Places I'd Rather Be".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dlp252 Apprentice
I did something an hr ago that has to be pretty rare. Out of newspaper I wanted to read, I was reading this thread while on the toilet! (expected scatology alert!!)

I'm not one to bring electronics into the bathroom at ALL in the 1st place. The way I see it, only those who *NEVER* bring these things thru the bathroom door will never end up standing there, dejectedly looking down, deciding "yes, I do want that back badly enough". LOL

:lol: !!!!!!

Hum, (responding to your other post, NOT this one, lol)...places I'd rather be...

Maybe I'll put up some of my travel photos...MUCH rather be there than where I am right now! :lol:

rinne Apprentice
This may be a spot where that fine word "masking" may be applicable.

(Uhoh I'm confusing myself trying to get a pun involving Halloween treats) :lol:

<_<

Maybe if Jason was an MSG spokesman. :ph34r::lol:

I think the only way gluten-free might have upset your balance is if the bacteria was dormant and with going gluten-free your own immune system kicked in ... then realized the bacteria was there which stirred things up.

Stealthy Lyme, :( Carla, this explanation makes a lot of sense to me.

One of the consequences of using pesticides is that pesticides only kill 'almost all the bugs' and those bugs that are left are resistent to the pesticide, they survived and they multiply.

When it comes to Lyme and ABX I think the same holds true. ABX will get 'almost all the bugs' but Lyme can hide and it can hide for a long time.

I think once you have Lyme, you always have Lyme, it is just a question of whether of balance. We have to be Lyme Tamers :lol: back those ferocious bugs into a corner and keep them there.

I hate that too. I've fought with this in my head. I figure organic is still better than conventional because you aren't getting as many poisons. :ph34r::blink:

I agree but I think local, small scale organic agriculture is still the best way to go for our basic diet and fair trade organic for everything imported.

My sweetie was telling me they have learned that toothpaste being sold in dollar stores, made in China, is filled with toxic ingredients. Let's see, first dog food, now toothpaste. It really makes a person question safety standards.

It also makes me question how our views are shaped by the media.

It can't be the potatoe or the corn cuz otherwise I would crave one more than the other I'd think. :P

Maybe you just want to be bad. :P:lol:

I crave the same things. :ph34r::lol:

I think it is the oil, oh and I enjoy being bad. :rolleyes:

I did something an hr ago that has to be pretty rare. Out of newspaper I wanted to read, I was reading this thread while on the toilet! (expected scatology alert!!)

:o:lol:

tom Contributor
....I'll eat almost anything (except Quinoa :P

Hey you quit slandering my Quinoa!!!!!! :lol:

To me it's like someone saying they don't like the taste of lettuce or rice, where the actual flavors - in a *good* dish - are overwhelmingly from the rest of the ingredients.

I loooooooove my Quinoa!!

Besides the rice-substitute type pf apps, Q-flour is my fav for flatbread & the Q-flakes (found by Cream of Wheat @store) make THE GREATest "breading" for fish!!!!!!!!! :):D:)

So a word of warning :lol: , the Quinoa Underappreciation Investigators of Nevada, Ohio & Arizona are watching you!!!!!! (omg lmao)

<can't type arms convulsing from full-body laughs>

:P

dlp252 Apprentice

Okay, current avatar is of Greenock, Scotland...That is a Greenock cow, lol. Much rather be there than here. The one on my personal page is of clouds in Dublin, Ireland.

Maybe you just want to be bad.

:ph34r: I do ocassionally want to be bad. Is that bad???!! :lol:

Hey you quit slandering my Quinoa!!!!!! :lol:

Yet another thing I can't eat...but much like Rachel...I wasn't overly saddened by this fact. :lol:

tom Contributor
I think it's pretty much throughout December. I know we've performed there as early as the 14th or so of December...and I don't think that was the first day it was opened. We usually sing on weeknights as opposed to weekend nights, although I do think one time we sang on a Friday or Saturday night.

Ahhh I didn't realize there were weeknight performers.

It usually kicks off soon after Thxgvg. Not sure how much it moves around tho. Might some yrs be Sunday after Thxgvg and others 1st Sunday in Dec.

They launch Xmas in The Park w/ a little parade.

I lived real close for a couple yrs - 3rd St by San Salvador - just 3min brisk walk to The Park!! (Always brisk on event days - woulda run if healthy)

Wow I miss SJ. I'm hoping tomorrow's "last minute flight" sales for this wkend incl Phx->SJ. If so, I'm THERE!!!! :):):D

So, I still don't understand HOW it works, and don't really care anymore, lol, . . . .

I'm with ya there.

I was horribly skeptical of acupuncture, but desperate enough to try anything.

I walked out calling it Magicpuncture!!!!!!

It's what kicked off the 6-8 great weeks of '05 !!!

AndreaB Contributor
Maybe I'll put up some of my travel photos...MUCH rather be there than where I am right now! :lol:

You posted about this in a different post......I'd rather be someplace like that or Tom's avatar too.

I :wub: horses.

Rinne,

I thought I had clicked reply to yours. :blink:

I'll have to look into going to farmers market down in Vancouver. When we lived near Olympia (where my mom is), they had a nice market.

We buy almost everything from Wild Oats right now.....sometimes Fred Meyer (as far as organics go).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor
Rachel, my experience of MSG on my tongue is a zapping sensation, my tongue feels slightly swollen and burning, my taste buds have gone into shock at that point. :lol:

Wow - pretty good deal for it to be such an easily recognizable & distinct symptom tho!! :)

I never thought MSG was an issue for me in the past, but it'd be quite a ways in the past since I had any.

I'm not sure how many yrs to even guess, but darn near everything I've eaten is brought into my house raw and unprocessed. (one ingred almBtr doesn't have to be called an exception for being dry-roasted almonds does it?)

But your -/\/\/\/-zapping-/\/\/\/- sensation does make me wonder if I'd feel anything weird!!!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I think MSG is sold as a "flavour enhancer" but that doesn't make it true. I think that it is more than a flavour enhancer if it is affecting the cortex of the brain and causing a long list of health problems for people. :blink:

It is true that MSG "enhances" flavor.....this is scientifically proven. It excites the taste buds.

The glutamate in natural foods enhances the flavor of that particular food...its not harmful in its natural state. One its processed into a chemical (MSG)...it still serves the same purpose of enhancing flavor but in this "unnatural" form...it becomes a neurotoxin and can cause cell damage.

It does enhance flavor though....this is why they use it. Its cheap and can enhance the flavor of any bland tasting food. It allows the food manufacturers to use cheap ingredients and then make up for the loss of flavor by adding MSG....or ingredients which contain quite a bit of "freed glutamate".

What we commonly call the "taste" of food is really "flavor," which largely results from the interaction between the senses of taste and smell. Other sensations from foods (think of the burn of a hot pepper, the bite of a peppermint or the fizz of a carbonated drink), as well as texture, temperature and appearance all add to the flavor experience.

As much as 80 percent of what we perceive as "taste" is actually smell. Humans can discern about 20,000 different odors and 10 intensities of each. Smell occurs when odors reach olfactory receptors in the nasal cavity via two routes: inhalation through the nostrils and through the back of the mouth as we chew and swallow.

True taste occurs on the tongue. We are born with 10,000 taste buds located on the back, sides, and tip of the tongue, on the palate, and in the throat.

When taste receptor cells within the taste buds are excited by chemical stimuli, they detect five primary sensations: sweet, sour, salty, bitter and "umami," the savory taste of glutamate found in protein foods and monosodium glutamate (MSG). Each taste is sensed throughout the tongue, though we experience some tastes more prominently in certain areas: sweet on the tip, sour on the sides, bitter on the back and salty mostly around the front.

Unfortunately having too much freed glutamate in the body also excites the brain cells....it excites them to death.

Glutamate, as monosodium glutamate (MSG) is added to many foods. It excites our taste buds and can make bland food taste wonderful. It is contained in the sea vegetable, kombu, which has been used as a flavor enhancer "for thousands of years in Japan." In 1908 a Japanese scientist discovered that glutamate is the active chemical in kombu.

By 1933 their annual consumption of monosodium glutamate was over ten million pounds. Japanese cooks had found that MSG made even the most bland recipes "taste scrumptious." In the Second World War it was used in the rations for the Japanese soldiers. "Unlike American rations, theirs tasted delicious."

Soon the American food industry was following the lead of the Japanese and using MSG. "The use has doubled every decade since the late 40's. Today MSG is added to most soups, chips, fast foods, frozen foods, ready-made dinners, and canned goods. And it has been heaven sent for the diet food industry, since so many of the low-fat foods are practically tasteless. . . .

Often MSG and related toxins are added to foods in disguised forms. For example, among the food manufacturers favorite disguises are 'hydrolyzed vegetable protein,' 'vegetable protein,' 'natural flavorings,' and 'spices.' Each of these may contain from 12 per cent to 40 per cent MSG."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

". . . it [is] ironic that the pharmaceutical industry is investing vast resources in the development of glutamate receptor blockers . . . while at the same time, the food industry, with the blessing of the FDA continues to add great quantities of glutamate to the food supply." --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The human brain has two excellent natural methods of control: (1) balance the chemicals within and (2) selectively screen the chemicals allowed inside. Glutamate is an amino acid that is used extensively in our brains. Why would it be toxic? Unfortunately, sometimes these two natural control methods break down.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

More MSG scientificness....

Energy, Magnesium, and Antioxidants

First, in the brain the correct balance is maintained by excellent processes for reducing excess glutamate (or glutamic acid) at the special glutamate receptors in many neurons. Some processes involve storing the extra glutamate in nearby glia cells.

Activating the appropriate enzymes for this process requires a great deal of energy, which, if unavailable, will result in the continual exposure of the neurons to the excitatory glutamate, injuring them and finally, if the energy deficit persists, the neurons will die.

Other protective processes involve sufficient magnesium to block the uptake of glutamate by the neurons and also sufficient antioxidants, such as glutathione and vitamins C and E, to dispose of the free radicals generated within the neurons by the excitotoxins such as glutamate, aspartate, and cysteine.

The powerful antioxidant glutathione consists of two of these excitotoxins, cysteine and glutamic acid, plus glycine. However, glutathione can only be formed from these amino acids when magnesium, potassium, and sufficient energy are all present.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regard to the blood-brain barrier, in Alzheimer's disease the vessels have the appearance of "Swiss cheese."

When free radicals are not quenched they can stimulate the release of more excitotoxins from storage. "This produces a vicious cycle whereby excitotoxins stimulate free radical formation and the free radicals in turn stimulate further excitotoxin accumulation." We need to be careful to have sufficient antioxidants and magnesium in our diet!

If there are problems with enzymes, deficiencies....a breakdown somewhere in the "system"....our bodies may not be able to reduce excess glutamate....so this is when MSG can become very harmful.

So yeah....someone like me who is toxic from mercury definately has a breakdown of the system...and as a result things like aspartame and MSG become extremely toxic. Too many deficiencies in critical areas and too many toxins which are unable to be reduced in the body.

tom Contributor
Okay, current avatar is of Greenock, Scotland...That is a Greenock cow, lol. Much rather be there than here. The one on my personal page is of clouds in Dublin, Ireland.

Ahhhhh the tranquility of a nice pastoral setting . . . . . ahhhhh . . . . . <breathing it in>

[RESUME REALITY]

In the future both MSG & HighFructoseCornSyrup will be seen as scourges to (hu)mankind!!!

AndreaB Contributor

I just got the mile long questionairre from Dr. Elizabeth's office. :blink:

How am I supposed to answer half of this stuff for my child? :blink:

dlp252 Apprentice
Ahhhhh the tranquility of a nice pastoral setting . . . . . ahhhhh . . . . . <breathing it in>

Shall I not ruin the tranquil moment by saying that it was taken in a speeding bus! :lol:

We did eventually stop, and the setting was equally as serene...will post that tomorrow. :P

Rachel--24 Collaborator
When it comes to Lyme and ABX I think the same holds true. ABX will get 'almost all the bugs' but Lyme can hide and it can hide for a long time.

I think once you have Lyme, you always have Lyme, it is just a question of whether of balance. We have to be Lyme Tamers :lol:

I'm thinking once Lyme is held back by antibiotics and a person is free of symptoms for a period of time (while off of ABX)....if its coming back its because...

1. Its a stealthy bacteria

2. The conditions in the body are still allowing for the infection to get the upper hand (I think this would be *key*)

So if you've got high levels of mercury in your body....you can treat Candida till the cows come home...and you might feel pretty good while treating it....but what happens as soon as you stop treating it?....it comes back.

Same with parasites...you can keep treating them but a toxic body (whether its toxic from mercury or something else) is gonna allow for the problems to persist.

I dont think it would be any different with Lyme. If the environment is still favorable for the bacteria to grow....then it will....just like the candida and just like the parasites.

I think all issues need to be dealt with at the same time a person is treating Lyme...and Lyme treatment should not stop until all co-existing problems are resolved and CD57 indicates the immune system is strong enough to keep the Lyme in check.

From what I've read on LN.....it seems like this is why people relapse...they arent resolving the other issues before stoping their Lyme treatment.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Donna, that's a perfect composition in that photo ... hard to imagine it was taken from a bus!

I did something an hr ago that has to be pretty rare. Out of newspaper I wanted to read, I was reading this thread while on the toilet! (expected scatology alert!!) :lol:

Oh, yeah, I'm sure no one here on celiac.com has ever brought their computer into the bathroom! :lol: Actually, there was a thread on it a while back and a picture posted of someone sitting in a public bathroom stall ... all you could see was the outside of the stall, their feet, and their hands typing on their computer which was sitting on the floor.

Yes, my LLMD said that you have to build up the immune system to "take care of the rest." He implied that if you built the immune system up enough it would actually get rid of all of it. I know opinions vary on this.

I asked him if he had Lyme, thinking it was a forever thing, he answered that he used to.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Rachel and I posted at the same time.

I agree, if you don't take care of side issues and coinfections, it will come back. That's what he means about building up the immune system -- taking off the stresses, plus giving it the support it needs to detox (supplements, rest, sauna, etc.). This is why he's treating me for heavy metals at the same time as the Lyme even though my heavy metals showed up at lowish levels.

This is also why they tested Chloe for so much, including food allergies (isn't it amazing that she doesn't have ANY at all?). Her lead was slightly elevated, not as much as mine ... the PA said Chloe's was the lowest she had ever seen in anyone coming through that office, but they are still going to treat her for it since it is elevated (it's a 9 and it should be below 4 .... mine was 12).

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna, that's a perfect composition in that photo ... hard to imagine it was taken from a bus!

Can't take credit for that either really...I had to crop it a lot for the avatar, lol, so I got to choose my composition. :P

tom Contributor
I just got the mile long questionairre from Dr. Elizabeth's office. :blink:

How am I supposed to answer half of this stuff for my child? :blink:

Oy . . . . ... long forms, no actually any forms, used to be simply *PARALYZING*!! :ph34r:

(ack!! Throw in answering for someone else?? fuhgeddabbodit!!)

tom Contributor
Shall I not ruin the tranquil moment by saying that it was taken in a speeding bus! :lol:

Doesn't ruin it for me!! :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

well hallooooooooooooo everyone!!!

pages behind...just have a small

RACHELLING ALERT

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

last night and this morning, I ate an entire bag (11 oz.) of Hershey's kisses w/ almonds. It's more than half a pound and not quite a pound. the whole bag. :ph34r:

help me.

[oh, happy to note no scatalogical effects today WHATsoever!!]

rinne Apprentice
MSG fools your brain into believing you are consuming nutritious and tasty food, stimulates appetite, and reduces costs for the food processors.

Open Original Shared Link

The objection I have to calling it a flavour enhancer is that I think it is rather like calling the Bride of Chucky a doll. :lol: Blame Tom for the image, I've been thinking of Halloween ever since he mentioned it earlier.

I think the food industry does that to minimize our concerns, after all if they labelled it an excitotoxin, which is what it is, the toxin part might give the game away. :lol:

Lovely photo Donna.

Andrea, I don't know what to suggest, I have enough troubles for just me when it comes to long forms. :blink:

Susan, nice to see you and glad you are not repenting your indulgence. :P:lol:

AndreaB Contributor
last night and this morning, I ate an entire bag (11 oz.) of Hershey's kisses w/ almonds. It's more than half a pound and not quite a pound. the whole bag. :ph34r:

I'm glad you didn't suffer any ill consequences for your indulgence. :blink::ph34r:

That chocolate is addicting I tell ya! :P

tom Contributor
Open Original Shared Link

The objection I have to calling it a flavour enhancer is that I think it is rather like calling the Bride of Chucky a doll. :lol:

:lol:

Always wondered how MSG got named that. Somehow thought it went in reverse, created by removing all but one sodium.

"MSG is a free amino acid salt with one sodium atom attached to the amino acid glutamate."

Gah that "mirror image" stuff is just so wrong! (not the concept/description) I can see whichever active parts of the body going "wth is THAT?"

Rinne! I have a question!

Any idea if there's some downside to crushing peeled Ginger in a garlic press?

Sometimes I'm just sick of more chopping.

Oooooooo-weeeee tomorrow should be fun!! My SIL, niece and . . . - uhhh not sure what to call a pseudo-half-nephew w/ 0 blood relation, tho I'm sure I'll go w/ nephew anyway - little guy visiting Th-sat from Alaska!!!

And the forecast was 115!! (I think new forecast a pleasant 113-114 tho)

Give us this day our Daily <insert tolerated, baked staple here> . . .

tabasco32 Apprentice

Hey rachel

I was reading that post about MSG and that we need more magnesium and potassium in order for the gluthon something to work. How to get more magnesium in our diets? Is there food rich in them or supplements we take?

tabasco32 Apprentice
:lol:

Give us this day our Daily <insert tolerated, baked staple here> . . .

Water???

Archived