This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

YoloGx Rookie

Hi,

I have long known I have a corn intolerance as well as gluten. Fortunately however I can now eat corn sometimes. I recently discovered a lot of cornmeal has gluten in it due to the way it is processed. Also corn often has fungus due to the fact it is so sweet naturally.

I suggest you look at my post for aching legs, vitamins and herbs I sent this evening. I foget the exact title!

A leaky gut can increase ones allergic reaction to a variety of foods. By taking supplements (esp. cod liver oil and co-enzyme b vitamins and nattokinase plus bromelain/papain -- to heal the scar tissue and L-glutamine to heal gut and stimulate positive balanced hormones and re-activate mitochondria) and herbs (esp. marshmallow root, slippery elm, dandelion, yellow dock etc.) as well as strictly following your diet you should get better and may eventually tolerate more stuff. Exercise is of course key not to speak of lots of veggies.

I found I also have had to eliminate fruit due to fungus explosions! Very hard to do emotionally but now I am feeling much better.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear yolo,

Thank you for the info! Welcome to the thread! We are glad you jumped in!

I hope you stick around. I will be sure to check out your posts! This sounds very helpful and interesting.

Dear Rinne,

I could not mention this in the other post, because it was already too long!

My grandfather, mother, and me all seem to have SAD. When it gets gloomy, we get depressed. I heard getting one of those little light boxes helps. It has been quite cloudy here lately.

You and Julie are lucky! I wish we got snow more often. If it is going to be cold, there might as well be something pretty on the ground! It is like someone took icing and draped it on the trees and on the ground. Snow is so beautiful! We almost never seem to get any.

Sincerely,

Jin

P.S. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!

AndreaB Contributor
I am here! I just have not had the chance to post! My migraines have gotten worse. Those stupid wisdom teeth and molar that is absessed is really causing trouble. I see the dentist in a week. I will respond with my column soon!

I hope you can get this taken care of next week so you can start feeling better.

She said the only way I will start to feel better is if I take the abx...so I am going to. I have started them and probiotics (just a gluten-free, cf, sf, one from Whole Foods).

Keep us posted on how the abx do.

I don't have any ideas for Thanksgiving for you....sorry. :(

Colds are a major thing right now. Everyone seems to be getting them.

My family is down with them now.

Julie,

Snow!!!! :oB) We almost never see snow.

confusedks Enthusiast

Jin,

Wow! Thanks for your long response to all my posts. A lot has been going on these days...that's for sure.

Andrea,

Me either!!! LOL! I have no idea! I think I am just going to bring a salad, cranberry sauce and some sort of dessert.

Carla,

Since I am now able to eat nuts, I made your fudge! YUMM!!! I did make a few alterations, but it was still really good. I only made half the amount that was called for because I don't need too many calories to keep my weight up...unlike you!! :lol: It is really good, so I think I am going to bring it as my own little dessert tomorrow night!

Everyone,

Well, we got the call from the nurse at the GI's office. It turns out my test was positive! :unsure: I don't know whether that is a good thing or not, but I am taking the abx, and feel like CRAP! I wonder if it is possible for this to stir up Lyme? I am going on Monday to have blood drawn for a Lyme test through a different lab than Igenex, just to see what happens.

My mom has agreed to make an appt. with the LLMD on Dec. 14. We will call them on Friday (if they are open) and tell them that's when we want to come in. Hopefully they have an opening. The reason it is that far away is becase I will be done with all the treatment my current doctors want me to have. I will finish the IV's 2 days before we want to go up and see the LLMD.

So that is really good news...and let's hope nothing comes up between now and then and lets hope my mom sticks to her words. ;)

Kassandra

CarlaB Enthusiast
My Humaworm shipped, my Humaworm shipped, lol! :lol: :lol: Yesterday...guess I'll have it in plenty of time to start before Christmas.

I picture these people making this stuff in their kitchen, LOL. Adam's was shipped yesterday, too.

We also ordered some for his brother along with VSL#3. His brother has "IBS" and is very thin. Looks horrible. Hopefully it will help.

Dear Everyone,

I am here! I just have not had the chance to post! My migraines have gotten worse. Those stupid wisdom teeth and molar that is absessed is really causing trouble. I see the dentist in a week. I will respond with my column soon!

Sincerely,

Jin

Sorry you're feeling bad ... I read your other post to me, but didn't quote it. :)

My kitchen is almost done. There are still some misc. things and a second coat of paint .... but we got all the stuff moved in today and will cook in there tomorrow. I cooked NOTHING today, so there will be a lot to do tomorrow! Morgan just got home from work (she's hostessing at Bonefish Grill over break), and she's making the sweet potatoes tonight .... she's used to different hours than the rest of us as you saw from when she posted!

I am really bummed about Thanksgiving because I won't be able to eat anything! What is everyone going to be eating? I am going to a huge family event with over 20 people, so bringing food will be embarassing (even though that's what I will probably end up doing.) I thought about making a cornish game hen, but I have no energy to cook and I want to stay raw. Anyone have any ideas?? :(

Kassandra

Sorry, I don't know .... I can say, what I have realized is, people ask to be nice, but no one really cares .... bring your food and don't worry about it .... people care about you, but not what you're eating. :) Eat whatever you want. :)

I'm glad you liked the fudge. I double the recipe ... so the one I post is actually double ... but I have it memorized, so I don't know the regular amounts .... plus, it lasts in the refrigerator, so I eat it over a week or two.

Carla, I love when you give your percentages out :lol: 80-85-90% is GREAT!!!!!!

My LLMD asks in percentages so we have a more objective measure of how I'm doing. I think it gives a better idea even on here .... so if I say I'm feeling good and I'm 75%, it's different than feeling really good and 95%. :) Bad is relative, too .... sometimes a herx makes me feel as bad as 40% .... but in the beginning 25% was a good day.

It gives more of an idea than, I feel bad. :) Plus, I'm always aware of it since I'll have to tell my doc.

Question: how long it taking from order to arrival of the Humaworm? Thinking about when I should try to get some.

I can't remember ... it seems to vary. Mine was shipped soon after ordering ... Adam's took a few days/week.

Carla, that's great news, and encouragement to all of us about how the parasites might be adding to the problem. I'll keep you posted if the garlic does any good.

Yes, I'm definitely thinking it's a piece of the puzzle.

Today I started feeling bad and hadn't taken my parsley or burbur .... I came home and took it and felt much better. It's REALLY helping!

I started those herbs a little before the Humaworm, so after today, I have to give them a lot of credit for my recent improvement, too ... and for helping me through this herx. I felt the herx symptoms starting back up, and the herbs made me feel better again. I wasn't taking them last month when I first started the Tindamax.

tom Contributor

I mostly wanted to say HAPPY :) THANKSGIVING :) EVERYONE!! :) :)

I've been reading along, albeit sporadically, seeing all the ups and downs. Naturally, sorry tho hopeful on the downs and thrilled w/ the ups.

Hmmmmmmm a worm.

Hmmmm-a-worm

Humaworm!!! I'm thinking of doing this too. Hmmmm

I hope it isn't too costly .. . . . ..

CarlaB Enthusiast

No, it's quite cheap! About $26. I highly recommend it, LOL.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mftnchn Explorer

Kassandra, this is good news. At least something is showing up. If you do have lyme as well, the abx could be causing a herx. What are your symptoms? What is the organism that the doctor is treating with the abx??

Be sure to take binders to bind up the toxins. Even setting your alarm in the middle of the night and taking some charcoal. Let's see, lemon water? Chlorella? Epsom salt and soda baths?

Jin, what about trying what I am doing? Epsom salt foot bath. I take a pail, and scrub it out which is easier to do that the bathtub, LOL. Then I can soak my feet and half of my calves too. I think it helps.

mftnchn Explorer

Everyone, I'd really like to make some fudge for the holidays. I can't get agave syrup here, and can't use milk or soy. I can get "corn" syrup, it is a light gold syrup and made from cane sugar. That's what I used for my marshmellows which are good btw.

I bought some Pacific brand hazelnut rice milk which I found in Beijing on my last trip there, or can make my own rice milk (haven't tried nut milks but could probably make them too). I can get one brand of soft margarine that I can use.

I can't get chocolate chips, only just plain cocoa powder. I can get powdered sugar but not easily; I will be in Beijing again the first week of December so could get it then.

Can you give me any suggestions or recipes? I know I can't avoid the sugar in this, but I just want a taste and something I can share perhaps.

YoloGx Rookie

Hi--about the fudge--I think the cocoa powder or the non sweetened chocolate bakers squares you melt is a good idea.

Try stevia for the sweetner. There is no sugar in it. If necessary then add some other sweetner to it if it gets bitter. You won't need much. I have heard about xylitol but havent yet tried it. Best to look it up I think.

I also suggest butter or cold pressed coconut oil rather than margarine. Apparently the margarine oils are very hard to digest. The over heating the oil plus the hydrogenation process makes the oils toxic to anyone's system. It then hangs out almost forever and can eventually affect one's emotions negatively and becomes a weight that is hard to lose. Though if its all that is available it won't kill you...

I personally still have problems with chocolate. Too stimulating or something. However I fully understand the desire to make and have it. Unfortunstely I am more allergic to the alternative which now escapes my mind!

I find baking with quinoa and amaranth (say half and half) with some small amount of tapioca (probably just 1 tablespoon) and the coconut oil (look at a standard recipe to figure how much oil) with some baking soda (maybe 2 tsp. max? ) and (1/2 tsp?) salt is a good combo.

The tapioca makes it hang together. If however you don't have an egg allergy like I do you can also add an egg. Ditto with milk--maybe put in non fat plain yogurt.

I also sometimes add 1 tablespoon of a legume flour to help with the not sticking together problem. Some small amount of yam, squash, banana or potato will also work. Just don't add much.

You can also add rice flour. I personally don't like rice flour since its usually from beached white rice and my body goes youch from all the quickly released sugars from the refined flour.

The powdered sugar I just learned has cornstarch in it. Use it with care if you have a sensitivity to corn. Though it sounds like you don't since you are considering using corn syrup! For me corn syrup etc. is way too fungus producing! like over the top...

Everyone, I'd really like to make some fudge for the holidays. I can't get agave syrup here, and can't use milk or soy. I can get "corn" syrup, it is a light gold syrup and made from cane sugar. That's what I used for my marshmellows which are good btw.

I bought some Pacific brand hazelnut rice milk which I found in Beijing on my last trip there, or can make my own rice milk (haven't tried nut milks but could probably make them too). I can get one brand of soft margarine that I can use.

I can't get chocolate chips, only just plain cocoa powder. I can get powdered sugar but not easily; I will be in Beijing again the first week of December so could get it then.

Can you give me any suggestions or recipes? I know I can't avoid the sugar in this, but I just want a taste and something I can share perhaps.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Hi Yolo!

Sherry, the fudge I make can be made with baker's chocolate .... I've done that and it's quite good. I still ground it in my coffee grinder, though the grinder works better on the cacao beans. I'm sure you could use the corn syrup. It's a forgiving recipe.

But, it's not "normal" fudge. It needs to be eaten right out of the refrigerator.

I actually don't know how to make regular fudge, LOL.

AndreaB Contributor

Hey Tom! Come on, you can take the plunge.......for the humaworm that is. :P

When are you coming up this way?

Welcome Yolo! :D

confusedks Enthusiast

Carla,

I am thinking about trying that humaworm too! :rolleyes:

Also, a funny story for you...my neighbor called me to ask for a corkscrew and I thought it was you. I got really confused and thought Carla wouldn't call me asking me for a corkscrew...lol! She sounded EXACTLY like you! LOL!!! My silly Lyme brain!!!

Sherry,

I have no idea what she is treating other than a bacterial overgrowth. How often would I need to take some sort of binder? I will definitely try to get some of one of the things you suggested. My main symptoms right now from the abx are stiff neck, feverish, body aches, realllllly weak, fatigue and headache. Oh and an "off" stomach, so I had chicken noodle soup for dinner. It is pretty rough. I'm also only 1/2 day into this whole 10 day process.

Tom,

Good to "see" you! I hope you have a happy turkey day too!

Andrea,

I'm sorry your kids have colds...yuck! I hope they get over them soon.

Everyone,

I realized that if I am going to have a reaction to these abx, apparently they don't usually happen right away. I think the amoxicilin was one I reacted to withing 30 minutes of taking (when I was 2 years old) but the others took a day or two for me to break out in full body hives/welts. So, I am not getting too excited at the possibility of not being allergic to this abx either. We'll see what happens over the next couple days.

Kassandra

AndreaB Contributor
I realized that if I am going to have a reaction to these abx, apparently they don't usually happen right away. I think the amoxicilin was one I reacted to withing 30 minutes of taking (when I was 2 years old) but the others took a day or two for me to break out in full body hives/welts. So, I am not getting too excited at the possibility of not being allergic to this abx either. We'll see what happens over the next couple days.

I hope you don' t have a reaction to them.

Sounds like they are stirring things up already.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
You too Rinne.....even though yours was last month. :P

Thanksgiving was last month in Canada?? :huh:

I never knew this.

Heavy metal is bad, too .... my son has to wear headsets in the house if I'm home .... I don't think what he listens to is heavy metal, but I don't like it either, LOL.

You would hate to have me living in your house!! :lol:

I dont listen to heavy metal (yuck!) and the country music is minimal...but music is always playing....and very LOUDLY. Lots of spanish stuff. :D

We can all be thankful for the internet this Thanksgiving. :)

Yup...this is my 3rd Thanksgiving since joining the board and making new friends. :)

I think I met Patti and Judy way back then.

Wow....all of you guys have been a part of my life for so long now. We truelly "know" each other...or at least it feels that way to me. :)

I am soooooo very thankful for everyone here. :wub::wub:

I am definitely suffering from SAD.

I'm suffering from SRD.

That would be mainly beef and peas..."Standard Rachel Diet." :rolleyes:

My Humaworm shipped, my Humaworm shipped, lol! :lol: :lol:

WOOHOO!!

:lol:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I am really bummed about Thanksgiving because I won't be able to eat anything!

DITTO!!!

What is everyone going to be eating?

I'll be having beef and peas. :rolleyes:

Today I did inuldge a wee bit though. :)

OMG....there was WARM pumpkin pie...straight outta the bakery oven....with WHIP CREAM!!!!

I had only 2 small slices with some whip cream....it was SO FREAKING GOOD!!

You guys know how I am about pumpkin pie...well this was the REAL THING. :o

My slice was very small cuz everyone knows I cant be eating this stuff...my boss gave me a tiny slice.. .it wasnt enough for me. Can you believe that!! :lol:

I asked if I could have ONE MORE slice. :D

That was it though....I didnt rachel the whole pie. I wanted to though!!!

Jin, you take good care of yourself with those migraines. I hope you get some relief soon.

Ditto....Jin I hope you start feeling better!! We miss you. :)

melmak, your dr and Kassandra's dr sound similar. That's crazy!

Yeah...I get flashbacks reading these posts. I seriously get queasy cuz I remember the feeling of dealing with these types of doctors. I dont know if I'll ever really get over it completely. :(

Wanted to wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving. I am so thankful for all of you and for our improving health. This time last year I didn't have a diagnosis....now I have diagnoseS! and a treatment plan.

Hope that everyone gets to enjoy it with their families!!!

xoxo

Thanks Laura!!! :)

I hope you and Eric have a very happy Thanksgiving with your families. I'm happy that so many here are feeling much better this year! :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here!!!

You guys mean so much to me and I just wanna tell everyone (once again) how thankful I am to have all of you as friends. :wub:

I've been practically living at work lately!! I was there from 6 this morning till 7 tonite!

I'm tired now. -_-

One more day and then I'm on vacation. :D

AndreaB Contributor
I hope you and Eric have a very happy Thanksgiving with your families. I'm happy that so many here are feeling much better this year! :)

Ditto!

You'll be in for some long deserved rest from the sounds of this week Rachel. :)

tom Contributor
Hey Tom! Come on, you can take the plunge.......for the humaworm that is. :P

When are you coming up this way?

For $26 how can I NOT plunge after so much candida?

And grrrrrrrr :angry: I'd be up your way NOW if I either hadn't been so swamped & frazzled from the move OR there didn't happen to be FIVE thursdays in Nov this yr!!!

(Yes .. . .until last week I'd been thinking Thxgvg was the 29th :( )

D'OH!!!!!!! :o

So, maybe before xmas but probably over xmas! It'd be great to see you in person! (they'll all be soooooooo jealous of me heehee) I'll make to sure to bring up scheduling a visit once I'm looking at flight dates. (Uh-oh I should DO that)

<exCITEment!> :)

P.S. For whoever doesn't know, my sister and 2 nephews are in Portland, ~30-40min(?) from ANDREA!!!!!!!

confusedks Enthusiast

Rachel,

I don't know that I will ever get over the mean doctors I am seeing right now either! :( It is all an ego thing amongst all of them...they don't really care about the patient's health!

Was the pumpkin pie gluten free? Either way, I am SO jealous! That is the ONLY thing I really care for around Thanksgiving time! I am so bummed to not have any this year.

Andrea,

I know...I hope it doesn't get much worse. I am pretty out of it so far. :mellow:

Tom,

I would be very jealous if you got to meet Andrea! <_<:rolleyes:

Everyone,

I too am VERY thankful for everyone's help on this thread! I agree with Rachel, it is like we all know each other. It is really such an amazing thing. :) If it wasn't for this site, I would still be really sick and would accept stupid diagnoses like "IBS". Thanks again to everyone! :wub:You all are AMAZING!

Kassandra

mftnchn Explorer

Kassandra,

Your symptoms since starting the abx sound REALLY like a herx; if you knew what organism she was treating you could research. Not all bacteria/organisms cause herx reactions. Borrelia is a spirochete that does, syphilis is also a spirochete and also causes herxes.

Probably you'll just have to weather this treatment and see what happens.

For your LLMD's sake, I'd keep a record of your symptoms because if you herx with antibiotics that will help his/her clinical diagnosis.

mftnchn Explorer

Laura, glad to hear from you, and glad you are getting better!

Welcome Yolo and I hope you join us and keep posting.

We had an awesome Thanksgiving dinner, and the gluten-free stuffing was great, as well as our gluten-free rolls and cherry/apple pie. My homemade marshmellows melted on top of the sweet potatos were great; they tended to melt more than the ones we buy so I might try tweaking the recipe a bit more. Maybe cook the corn syrup longer (I don't have a candy thermometer so its a guess.)

mftnchn Explorer

I want to join in the huge appreciation for all of you here. Especially thanks to Andrea who invited me to this thread and encouraged me to jump in. At first I felt like kind of an outsider when you all knew each other, but gradually I am feeling more connected and deeply appreciative of this support group.

I was quite surprised last week to have my birthday remembered, that meant a lot to me. Thanks all of you!

What I have learned here has really helped me with the maze of issues I have faced in the healing process.

mftnchn Explorer

Kassandra, I think Carla finds the lemon water helps with herxes. Lots of water to flush toxins. Charcoal, try to take 2 hours away from other meds or food if you can as charcoal absorbs lots of things. There is something else you can use but I cant remember the name--bentonite??? Its a liquid. Also, for me, the e-coffee is the biggest help but you might not be ready for that. I know Donna isn't! LOL ;) I guess if you are constipated, taking Vit C or something that helps you keep eliminating is important.

That's what comes to mind. Any other ideas anyone?

You might find that you have these symptoms for a few days then get better on the antibiotic. If you have lyme, and were to stay on antibiotics, you would probably go through these symptoms in a cyclical way. The lyme has a month long life cycle, so some people have a more major herx monthly. It seems like it is kinda individual. I can't anticipate my herxes. Seems like Carla's are more predictable.

mftnchn Explorer

Tom, I'm going to be very close to Andrea too... when I am in the USA. Andrea, I am hoping we can meet face to face too!

Archived