This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Disappearing Topics?

gfp

gfp Enthusiast

I noticed a post this morning which has been deleted or dissapeared.

The post related to some guru such and such site....

Given people are allowed to post whatever they see fit about their Christian religious beliefs perhaps the board guidelines should be more specific.

In particualr I have seen threads saying "such and such a evangelical faith healer cured celiac/cancer" and these are allowed but someone else who is not Xtian is not...??

So far as I can see the guidlines state:

Registration for the board is not the same as for Celiac.com. You must register on the board to be able to use the board or the calendar. Note that if your browser or firewall is set to not accept all cookies you may not be able to post on the boards.

Below are the basic rules of the board. Generally speaking users who break these rules will get two warnings, and if there is a third rule violation they will be banned from the boards. Serious board violations can result in an immediate ban. The rules are as follows:

1. Do not be abusive or otherwise out of line towards other board members. Show respect for each board member, no matter what you think of their views. This is not a place to quarrel.

2. Do not promote your own business, Web site or products.

3. Do not spam the boards (i.e., post the same thing in multiple topics or areas of the board to bring more attention to your post).

Unless this was the personal website if the particular person who posted then I don't see any contravention.

Inparticular #2 is a stupid rule anyway.... as it stands....

Carla (jcc) has a great site and resource, probably the best collection anywhere I have ever seen completely without any advertising or commercial interest whatsoever. but she is not allowed to post a link but if she pm's someone then that other person can post a link?

Also it seems hundreds of people post their website in their profile and its posted on every post. I guess you can turn off seeing sigs... but why explicitly let people post to their website if its explicitly banned.

Meanwhile I can promote any commercial website (so long as its not mine)

This all seems very inconsitent to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ursa Major Collaborator

gfp, I saw the post you mentioned, and if I recall correctly, some outsider came in here with nothing on his mind but promoting some quackery. Somebody reported it (rightly so), and I suppose Scott removed it. Since this is Scott's site, he has the right to make the rules, and to enforce them. And I agree that this particular post needed to be removed, as have been others like it.

If a Christian faith healer (and most of them are liars and fakes as well, as far as I am concerned) comes here, promoting his 'business', he'd get the same treatment. This is a place for people with celiac disease, to help each other, not for people to come and try to get business.

On the other hand, if somebody asks for prayer (or good vibes or whatever), that is totally different. Or someone will say they'll pray for somebody. That is just supporting each other. Besides, there have been quite a few studies done that proved that prayer works, even for people who don't believe, or who don't even know they're being prayed for!

Are you confusing your profile with your signature? Everybody has the right and the opportunity to post a link to their own website in their profile. By clicking on the person's name in a post (or by going to the member's list) you can access those personal sites.

We're not supposed to link to your home sites in our signature. I guess Scott is making an exception for Nini, as she has links to the newbie survival kit there.

In general, most links people put into their posts are relevant to celiac disease (unless it's the chat forum), or just link to personal photos. If everybody here would start promoting their businesses, soon this site would cease being helpful to us in dealing with celiac disease.

gfp Enthusiast
gfp, I saw the post you mentioned, and if I recall correctly, some outsider came in here with nothing on his mind but promoting some quackery. Somebody reported it (rightly so), and I suppose Scott removed it. Since this is Scott's site, he has the right to make the rules, and to enforce them. And I agree that this particular post needed to be removed, as have been others like it.

If a Christian faith healer (and most of them are liars and fakes as well, as far as I am concerned) comes here, promoting his 'business', he'd get the same treatment. This is a place for people with celiac disease, to help each other, not for people to come and try to get business.

The thing is this particualr one probably needed removing but in my opinion and your opinion. If you happen to be a devote of guru "whoever" then you probably don't.

In my opinion a topic telling people that "God cured my celiac" is equally in need of removal. Encouraging people to stop a gluten-free diet and pray god cures them is from my point of view more dangerous.

On the other hand, if somebody asks for prayer (or good vibes or whatever), that is totally different. Or someone will say they'll pray for somebody. That is just supporting each other. Besides, there have been quite a few studies done that proved that prayer works, even for people who don't believe, or who don't even know they're being prayed for!
I agree on that, I have no problem if people ask for prayers.... it is completely different to saying stop a gluten-free diet and beleive and you will be cured.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Are you confusing your profile with your signature? Everybody has the right and the opportunity to post a link to their own website in their profile. By clicking on the person's name in a post (or by going to the member's list) you can access those personal sites.

We're not supposed to link to your home sites in our signature. I guess Scott is making an exception for Nini, as she has links to the newbie survival kit there.

In general, most links people put into their posts are relevant to celiac disease (unless it's the chat forum), or just link to personal photos. If everybody here would start promoting their businesses, soon this site would cease being helpful to us in dealing with celiac disease.

Im just quoting the rules....

Open Original Shared Link

#2 # Do not promote your own business, Web site or products.

I can see why not businesses and I can see why not products. If it said commercial or for profit or with advertsing website I could see that but I can't see why it says "Web site" ....

I don't see what is so offensive about for instance Open Original Shared Link

Its not my website so according to the rules i can promote it but jcc cannot.... my website and those of other local ones ... I don't see why promoting "Gluten Free in Wisconsin" is a bad thing... if i was going to Wisconsin I would want to find this site.

These are not competition... Cara is very specific about the type of thing she posts, my site is very specific to Paris and other's are also very specific.

jerseyangel Proficient

GFP--

Forgive me if I'm off base here. I don't know exactly what happened with your website--did someone post it, or try and include it in their signature? I don't see a problem with anyone posting a link to it--I've followed the link to it, and I would see no reason to not allow a link. Again, I'm not the last word, of course, Scott is.

I've seen you make reference to this and am curious. Have you tried PM'ing Scott and asking him directly if you could post a link/include it in your signature?

Like I said, I'm not sure what the story here is, I'm trying to "read between the lines" because you seem upset about this.

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know :)

Guest nini

yeah, my website is only posted because of the newbie survival kit. because of the nature of my business, it's not like I want to solicit business off the internet anyway! LOL...

as far as dissapearing topics, I didn't see the one in question, but if it was someone who is not a regular member/poster and was just posting links to their business, that could be construed as spam, not deleted because of any religious or non religious conotation. (just my impression)

VydorScope Proficient

I can see why not businesses and I can see why not products. If it said commercial or for profit or with advertsing website I could see that but I can't see why it says "Web site" ....

I read it differently, I read web site in context of the sentence, for example, I have a business with a web site that promotes that busiess, and sells my products. Which is not linked in my sig.

I also have a personal website that has nothing more then a few links and personal photos. Ppl here constantly asking for updated photos of my son, so its linked in my sig to simplify my life a bit heh.

Many ppl on this site have thier personal, non-business sites in thier sig, and I do not think that vilolates #2. Appereantly the powers that be here agree since I not heard of anyones personal pages (like mine) being censored. If I thought, or if Scott told me, that it was in violation I would remvoe it. But that would be an awfull silly rule, IMO. :)

I would *personaly* have no problem with a link to your Paris board in your sig (which I have visted once or twice.), and on the forums *I* run, several ppl link to other forums in thier sig's, but I do not run this board, and I have no real say in the rules here.

As for faith healers (agree by far most are charaltons), and stoping the diet and all that, I personally have spoken against posts like that in the past. While there are medicaly documented cases of ppl being healed form un-cureable conditions (I have first hand recent knowledge of more then one), its dangerous to ever post that some one should stop treatment from any condition as it is so easy to misapply with dangerous effects that it should not be hapazardly posted.

jerseyangel Proficient
As for faith healers (agree by far most are charaltons), and stoping the diet and all that, I personally have spoken against posts like that in the past. While there are medicaly documented cases of ppl being healed form un-cureable conditions (I have first hand recent knowledge of more then one), its dangerous to ever post that some one should stop treatment from any condition as it is so easy to misapply with dangerous effects that it should not be hapazardly posted.

I agree--

I set that post in question invisable yesterday. When I came on, I had a message that that post had been reported. I read it, and deceided to "unapprove" it. All that means is that it is removed it from sight, not actually deleted. Scott is the only one (except the original poster) who can delete a post.

He could have deceided to set the post visable again, but he obviously didn't.

The only time I've seen a viable post that dealt with a "healing" was from a regular member who claimed that her Celiac went away after praying about it (more to the story--that's the gist). She has not posted, that I've seen, since.

The posts, like the one yesterday, from people who sign on right before and post this kind of thing, strike me as advertisements--I deal with them as such.

But again, removing a post from sight is not deleteing it--only Scott can delete a post.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jcc Rookie
The thing is this particualr one probably needed removing but in my opinion and your opinion. If you happen to be a devote of guru "whoever" then you probably don't.

In my opinion a topic telling people that "God cured my celiac" is equally in need of removal. Encouraging people to stop a gluten-free diet and pray god cures them is from my point of view more dangerous.

I agree on that, I have no problem if people ask for prayers.... it is completely different to saying stop a gluten-free diet and beleive and you will be cured.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I don't see what is so offensive about for instance Open Original Shared Link

Its not my website so according to the rules i can promote it but jcc cannot.... my website and those of other local ones ... I don't see why promoting "Gluten Free in Wisconsin" is a bad thing... if i was going to Wisconsin I would want to find this site.

These are not competition... Cara is very specific about the type of thing she posts, my site is very specific to Paris and other's are also very specific.

Hi~

Thanks for the nice things you've said about my website, gfp, and I think you are using it just as an example, but....

I have actually dropped links on several threads here in reference to specific things like seizures and maybe B12, and as far as I know they have not been deleted, nor been a source of controversy.

If they were, due to forum rules, I could live with that. I've been active in forums for about six years, and have found it is easiest to just abide by the rules...or find another place with different rules. In fact, I asked for BrainTalk Gluten Sensitivity forum to be opened partly because of rules I didn't agree with on another forum I won't name. ANd... I have not always been happy with some of the rules at BT, but overall its a good place and I learn to work within the constraints.

Personally, as a general philosophy, I think less moderation is better, as we are mostly capable adults who can discern truth from fiction, and if allowed, members tend to self correct any misinformation given by each other. However, I agree that if forums opened up to allowing all links...it would be mass advertising and mass chaos. And I know that some posts are just over the top and need to be removed. I know there have sometimes been problems at BT with the definition of limits, and unfortunately BT has lost some great members because of it. Other times, the system works just fine. It can be a complex thing to find the right limits and balance...and very time consuming for moderators.

Cheers!

Cara (jcc)

gfp Enthusiast
I think you did the right thing. I saw this post yesterday and it made me uncomfortable because I thought it could potentially cause people to gluten themselves and become ill.

How else would they test to see if they were cured other than to eat gluten? Some people who desperately do not want to have this disease might just be tempted.

Hope I don´t sound condescending, once I started writing this I realised that I´m making a mess of what I´m trying to say.

I don't disagree.... what I do disagree is that threads about praying cured my celiac are left so long as it is to a Christian god and encouraging others to do the same.

Thanks for the nice things you've said about my website, gfp, and I think you are using it just as an example,

I am ... but it was the one that rewoke the beast so to speak....

When I first came here I reads the rules.. the rules say "Do not promote your own business, Web site or products"

since I found this on a google search (well I'd seen it before but the ads put me off) specifically asking about Gluten Free in Paris I thought I'd register and post and hopefully someone would see it before it was deleted and I was banned.

Then hanging about a bit you notice lots of people giving links to their websites and nothing really happening unless its to a non christian site. When I noticed you posting and saw your website (which I stand by my praise for) I wondered why you hadn't posted it... or more often, I mean I can find an authoritve answer to 7/10 questions on your site. Indeed I kept trying to find it by looking at your profile or posts when ever I needed to check something.....

Then it occured to me that you too had read the rules....

My first impression of this site were ads, ads and more ads and combined with rule #2 this makes me feel like posting a link to your own site is not tolerated... but the evidence is many people do.

Many ppl on this site have thier personal, non-business sites in thier sig, and I do not think that vilolates #2. Appereantly the powers that be here agree since I not heard of anyones personal pages (like mine) being censored. If I thought, or if Scott told me, that it was in violation I would remvoe it. But that would be an awfull silly rule, IMO. smile.gif

I agree but your perspective is from a long standing membership....I don't think this is how rule #2 reads to newer members? I agree its silly, as I already said if it said commercial or business site that would be quite understandable ....

sorry gotta go....

CarlaB Enthusiast

gfp, if it were that a poster came on, had no commercial interest, and posted that this certain guru healed someone of celiac, I would agree with you that it should have been left. The Christian post that I remember was by the person who was "healed" and was not advertising any specific faith healer. I believe that is the difference.

I am a very faithful practicing Catholic. I have a wide circle of friends (not including all of you, that obviously makes it wider!) across the country. I live in a relatively large city. Thus, not all my friends share my faith, so I adjust my conversation accordingly. Living as a witness to what I believe is in living it, not advertising it.

That being said, when you're used to being in a smaller community with like-minded individuals, as I once was myself, it's easy to forget that everyone you are talking to in another place, like this board, are not all of your like mind (I don't necessarily mean a small city, or a sheltered environment, it could be someone that is surrounded perhaps by Church friends most of the time). I think this is more the context that the Christians who talk about their faith are coming from. That is why it comes across as assuming that all are Christian, because that is what they're used to, especially when there are good people like you who might come across that way to them.

I hope you take this how I mean it ... I'm almost afraid to hit "add reply" :huh:

Ursa Major Collaborator

jcc and gfp, you confuse me. I went into your profiles, and you don't have a link to your sites there. There is a spot to list your homepage in your profile, and that is where I would expect to find the links to your sites. The rules about not linking to a business site or whatever site are meant for your signature, or in your posts, as far as I am concerned. I have a link to my poetry site in my profile. I wouldn't link to it in my signature, because it is irrelevant to celiac disease, and therefore has no place in my signature.

NOBODY should just come in and advertise anything. Lately there have been numerous posts of people coming in and doing nothing but promote their business. The whole post would be an advertisement, nothing personal, no inkling of whether that person had celiac disease or not (my guess is, they don't, they just want our business). Obviously, those posts need to be removed (or set to being invisible, meaning, only the administrator or the moderators can see it).

Gfp, as for that particular member who said she got healed by God, that made me uncomfortable, too. But really, it IS possible that she got healed. For her sake I hope it was true, because otherwise she will get really ill again, eating all the gluten she wants. And for her sake, it wouldn't have been fair to delete her posts, as she had been a member for a while, wasn't advertising anything, just rejoicing in her healing. I don't believe that it got anybody here to stop the gluten-free diet.

It seems to me that there is confusion about what the rules mean. So, I think that Scott needs to be asked to clarify the rules, and explain exactly what he meant.

CarlaB Enthusiast
It seems to me that there is confusion about what the rules mean. So, I think that Scott needs to be asked to clarify the rules, and explain exactly what he meant.

If rules and laws couldn't be interpreted in different ways, we wouldn't need attorneys!! :)

Ursa Major Collaborator

Carla, in this case we have the one who made the 'law' to ask him exactly what he meant, and to hopefully change the wording in his rules in such a way that there can't be confusion. Because I think that we can argue about what the rule exactly means until we are blue in the face, without being able to figure it out.

I have PMd Scott already, and hope that this misunderstanding (which I believe it is) will be cleared up shortly.

jerseyangel Proficient
Carla, in this case we have the one who made the 'law' to ask him exactly what he meant, and to hopefully change the wording in his rules in such a way that there can't be confusion. Because I think that we can argue about what the rule exactly means until we are blue in the face, without being able to figure it out.

I have PMd Scott already, and hope that this misunderstanding (which I believe it is) will be cleared up shortly.

Thanks Ursula--that is exactly what I suggested earlier. Asking the question directly is the best way to go here. I had seen this mentioned before, and I thought it best to address it.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Speaking of disappearing posts, someone posted some sort of advertisement this morning encouraging people to start their own nursing home.

I didn´t read it as it was very long winded, just thought 2 in one day was interesting and sort of takes the focus off the religious aspect a little- treading on ice that´s not so thin.

You're right, Debbie, of course that post has long 'disappeared' as well. And religion has nothing to do with either one of them, but advertising has.

jerseyangel Proficient
Speaking of disappearing posts, someone posted some sort of advertisement this morning encouraging people to start their own nursing home.

I didn´t read it as it was very long winded, just thought 2 in one day was interesting and sort of takes the focus off the religious aspect a little- treading on ice that´s not so thin.

Yep--I set that one to invisable, too. Just more advertising :)

Ursula--I absolutely love your new picture--it's so cute :D

jcc Rookie
jcc and gfp, you confuse me. I went into your profiles, and you don't have a link to your sites there. There is a spot to list your homepage in your profile, and that is where I would expect to find the links to your sites.

Hi Ursula,

I certainly didn't mean to add confusion. It is just that gfp used my website as an example...and I wanted to make clear that I haven't had any problems with anything here, and as far as I knew nobody has had a problem with my leaving links to The Gluten File at Open Original Shared Link . If there was a problem with that, I would respect it, and not leave direct links to my website anymore.

The only business I am in, and have ever been in for the past five years, is the information business~ particularly as it relates to gluten related neurologic disease, but all things gluten related. I used to do this mostly through another site, BrainTalk gluten sensitivity/celiac disease forum. Since its crash in July, like others there, I've suffered a little forum withdrawl, so have ventured out a little to other forums...such as this.

I refer to my website in my responses to people, because that is where I keep the information that pertains to my response ....nothing else :).

Also added to my confusion is Carla??? My name is Cara (jcc), and I think that was just a little oversight by gfp... and then I just realized there is also a Carla replying to this thread. Who is talking to who...lol?

So, I am sorry if I have added to the confusion~ I just found myself feeling a little in the middle when my website was mentioned. I have no complaints. I've been rather enjoying it here. If leaving links to my website is a problem here, I'd imagine somebody would let me know, and so far, nobody has.

Cara

VydorScope Proficient

GFP,

I will like to point out that some of the moderators are , get this... not Christian , so your idea that Christian advertising posts get perferentail treatment is not realy on good ground. And frankly if some church comes here and creates a brand new account and its pure advertisement for thier chruch (heck even if it was *my* chruch), I would fully expect it to be deleted. I am not a moderator here (nor wish to be), but if I was, *I* would delete it as it would be a clear violation of the rules. I just do not see any Christian advertisements getting perferentail treatment, like you seem to be implying. Granted I only check a few threads a day , not all 5.3 billion new posts, but I think I see enough to say that form a moderation point of view Christian advertizements would not be giving perferentail treatment.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for bringing this topic up. The "guru" post was removed because it was a blatant ad for some healer in India--it was not removed because it was "non-Christian" or because it advocated faith healing (although I do not personally believe in that). The poster was not interested in being a part of this community--they simply registered and on their first post advertised their business--which happens to be "healing" for money. The "How to start your own nursing home" post was deleted as well because it was blatant spam.

Using this board to advertise is not permitted because we believe that it will serve only to degrade a user's experience. Our rules exist to make sure that our board does not get commercialized by its users, and to make sure that users do not get abused. We do not ONLY enforce our rules against potential competitors (although that too is becoming an increasing problem on this board, as there are now hundreds of celiac disease and gluten-free companies out there with Web sites who want to use our forum as a means of self-promotion), but do enforce the rules when any user breaks them by shamelessly promoting their own "business, Web site or products." As the moderators can attest to, we must do this on almost a daily basis now (if we weren't doing this our board would be flooded with spam, much like your email in box probably is). The reality is that many companies are now using marketing companies in India, China and other places to spam message boards like this one with company marketing materials and links to their Web sites. This form of marketing works to do two things, 1) Generate more hits to their client's site, and 2) Generate more links to their client's site which increasing their page ranking in the search engines.

The rules are very simple and easy to understand for a reason--most people will not take the time to read lawyer-like complex rules that are very detailed and specific which give detailed examples of exactly what is and is not allowed here. Because our rules are very basic they are open to a more broad interpretation, and that is the job of the moderators, who, I believe do an excellent job in enforcing them.

As you can see, there is a proper way to advertise on our site, and it is the advertisers here who fund the board and make it possible for everyone to use. Anyone who does not like to see ANY ads here are welcome to get one of the hundred or more ad blocking software programs that are available out there--many of these programs are available as freeware on the Internet. We are also very selective about what kind of ads can appear on the board, and regularly turn down companies who want to place an ad with us. We have less control over the Google ads, but can block them as well if they are not appropriate (we do this on a daily basis as well, and our Google block list has more than 100 advertisers on it).

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Scott

jerseyangel Proficient

Cara,

Sorry you feel kind of stuck in the middle!

I read through your link--it's very informative and I find no problem with it at all. In fact, I think another member has the same link posted.

I'm glad you're enjoying the board--we're happy to have you here :)

Ursa Major Collaborator

Thanks, Scott, for coming and clarifying things so quickly. But could you please let us know if I am right with believing that our homepage link in our profile can be a link to anything (within reason, of course), even if it advertises a business?

Cara, I didn't mean you added more confusion to this discussion, but rather that I am confused over not finding the link to your excellent site in your profile.

gfp Enthusiast
gfp, if it were that a poster came on, had no commercial interest, and posted that this certain guru healed someone of celiac, I would agree with you that it should have been left. The Christian post that I remember was by the person who was "healed" and was not advertising any specific faith healer. I believe that is the difference.

I think they may have mentioned a specific one but ... its really not worth looking that far back!

I really have to agree with Ursula and say I really hope they are healed... or back on a gluten-free diet...

I don't have any problem either of them saying prayer or meditation helps... so long as they don't go advocating that someone who is celiac stops a gluten-free diet or a diabetic should stop using insulin....

I am a very faithful practicing Catholic. I have a wide circle of friends (not including all of you, that obviously makes it wider!) across the country. I live in a relatively large city. Thus, not all my friends share my faith, so I adjust my conversation accordingly. Living as a witness to what I believe is in living it, not advertising it.

That being said, when you're used to being in a smaller community with like-minded individuals, as I once was myself, it's easy to forget that everyone you are talking to in another place, like this board, are not all of your like mind (I don't necessarily mean a small city, or a sheltered environment, it could be someone that is surrounded perhaps by Church friends most of the time). I think this is more the context that the Christians who talk about their faith are coming from. That is why it comes across as assuming that all are Christian, because that is what they're used to, especially when there are good people like you who might come across that way to them.

I hope you take this how I mean it ... I'm almost afraid to hit "add reply" :huh:

Carla, that is the best explanation EVER.... seriously no joking!

The thing is like you I have a very diverse set of friends (outside of here too) from practicing bhuddists and hindu's to muslims, jews and christians to people with personal beleifs or non.

One develops tact over expressing faith as fact... especially when part of your faith is directly against someone elses! I'm simply not used to people expressing faith as fact... I know people can say prayer heals and believe it but equally many practicing Hindu's and bhuddists say the same for meditation...

Jcc and gfp, you confuse me. I went into your profiles, and you don't have a link to your sites there. There is a spot to list your homepage in your profile, and that is where I would expect to find the links to your sites. The rules about not linking to a business site or whatever site are meant for your signature, or in your posts, as far as I am concerned. I have a link to my poetry site in my profile. I wouldn't link to it in my signature, because it is irrelevant to celiac disease, and therefore has no place in my signature.

Ursula.... its really simple, I read the rule literally. I don't know about Cara but you know me well enough to know I read things like that as literal :D

When I joined I clicked on the rules... I read it and reread it (as I do for most things) and determined if said Web site... very specifically not business website.

Most fori I inhabit have no such rule at all and people do link to poetry sites, music or even Church activities in their sig... One of my best friends on another site links to his charity work with kids, another to a cancer fund etc. etc. I actually have my gluten free site in my sig.. to raise awareness :D

When I read rule #2 it specifically says Web site. I was left wondering that in the context it didn't mean Commercial but it says

Do not promote your own business, Web site or products.

That is why it is not in my profile.

which happens to be "healing" for money

In that case I have no problem...

We do not ONLY enforce our rules against potential competitors (although that too is becoming an increasing problem on this board, as there are now hundreds of celiac disease and gluten-free companies out there with Web sites who want to use our forum as a means of self-promotion)

I really don't thionk you have anything to worry about competition wise.

The point is I don't have a prob with advertising, someone has to pay for the site somehow...

If I go to a information site like this I will even click on a few ads to generate income... that isn't really what I am saying.

The rules are very simple and easy to understand for a reason--most people will not take the time to read lawyer-like complex rules that are very detailed and specific which give detailed examples of exactly what is and is not allowed here. Because our rules are very basic they are open to a more broad interpretation, and that is the job of the moderators, who, I believe do an excellent job in enforcing them.

The real issue is I don't think with your large and active user base you have anything to worry about in competition! However I really do believe that local area support boards have something different to offer ...

Having just got back from Italy I believe this even more strongly because the regional groups actually go round and certify places, help with menu's and give out stickers etc.

This is something that is IMHO completely compatible and actually in synergy with this board... indeed I would encourage people to look here for all non regional issues ... (my links need updating, the present one I have one for Brian talk... again a different emphasis but perhaps closer ... but I really believe, we are all celiacs... and if we ever want anything to change any quicker than a snails pace we need to coordinate regionally, country wide and globally.

There are a lot of individual groups ... in the US and worldwide that would use this place as the clearing house and exchange of ideas... and place to discuss global issues we all face.

As you can see, there is a proper way to advertise on our site, and it is the advertisers here who fund the board and make it possible for everyone to use.

I don't think we are comparing oranges and oranges....

Many of the specific local sites don't have any advertising and are 90% vistited only by residents or visitors, for my part I am more interested in giving free advertising to resto's and places willing to cater and make changes for gluten-free. They are very specific local resto's ... getting them to actually put gluten-free items on the menu for free advertising is hard enough, let alone asking them to pay and the majority of local sites seem the same.

The rules seem vague enough... Ursula is asking why I don't have a link in my profile and my interpretation after reading your explanation still seems to say this is not allowed (but the mods might ignore it)?

Just to be clear... I'm not really worried about MY website in this context, I really see my website as one of hundreds of regional websites. I don't want it to be visited by people who just click a link but by people who are living or visiting Paris. I don't mind curious people having a look, I'm not saying that and in all honesty I don't want it to be my website... I would rather be one of a few people maintaining it.. indeed that's what my front page says! I don't make a cent from the site (nor intend to) , its purely my contribution to people who need info on gluten-free in Paris... i host it myself and the only thing I do is promote my own business on the site in return (and its not even linked at the moment!) and if others want to help out I would be more than happy to drop this too.

However what I would like to see is some coordination of where to find regional or city specific sites.... and I really think if NON PROFIT regional sites were allowed links they would reciprocate and generate a few clicks for you. I don't know that but its just my 2c!

Cara,

Sorry you feel kind of stuck in the middle!

Yep sorry, it was just an example.

I bookmarked it now so I don't need to look for it in your posts anyway.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello gfp,

Just to clarify--we don't have these rules to protect ourselves against competition, but have them to enhance our user's experience by not exposing them to ads that are disguised (or in many cases not disguised at all) as posts. Also, we have no rules against posting links to other sites on this board--our members do this all the time--the rules here only apply to those who promote "your own business, Web site or products," with a huge emphasis on "your own." With regard to your site, we'd prefer to see other people post a link to it rather than you--that way your intent won't be misconstrued.

I'm not sure how we got onto the topic of local vs. global, or how local sites can be linked here (or how this topic is getting into the religion area), but the board is not meant to be a collection of links, or a place to post large collections of links--the regular celiac.com site lists many regional support groups and links to their sites (if they send them to us) at:

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=21

and our calendar allows anyone to enter celiac disease events (we are far more flexible with regard to links and commercial events on our calendar):

Obviously we're in favor of promoting local support groups and events, and do much in this regard.

To clarify this rule for all moderators:

"Do not promote your own business, Web site or products."

--this includes any part of a User's post and the signature block is not only not an exception, but that is the most likely area that someone would do this because it shows up on every post that a User makes. As far as how this should be interpreted and enforced (yes, there are many personal links in User's signature blocks on this board), it is done on a case by case basis and if the link does not go to an obvious commercial entity or site that appears to be anything other than a personal homepage, they are normally allowed.

Above all, if you have any specific questions about what is allowed in your posts, signature blocks, etc., please PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Take care,

Scott

gfp Enthusiast

Scott, I'm fine with the rules... I am just clarifying them.

Hello gfp,

Just to clarify--we don't have these rules to protect ourselves against competition, but have them to enhance our user's experience by not exposing them to ads that are disguised (or in many cases not disguised at all) as posts. Also, we have no rules against posting links to other sites on this board--our members do this all the time--the rules here only apply to those who promote "your own business, Web site or products," with a huge emphasis on "your own." With regard to your site, we'd prefer to see other people post a link to it rather than you--that way your intent won't be misconstrued.

Totally sensible, I mean that's the way people for instance get elected to public office. By which I mean it provides an automatic review process if you can't nominate yourself...

There are hundreds of ways to manage a website and non of them are particularly better ...

I'm presuming that for instance it wouldn't or shouldn't be a problem to use a pm instead of a public post if one has specific information relating to a question which is answered on your own website and that if that user chooses they can then share this with a thread?

From a personal POV ..(because I'm hesitating to give examples of other local sites). the main reason I would want to link to my website is to answer a question of anyone who is visiting Paris and I would think that is the same for people with links to their local sites ....

The only other reason is I obviously know the content of my site and where to find something so it can be easier to just link something... I can't think of any case when this would not have been already covered on here, probably 100 times ... but it does sometimes seem easier to do that.

The only last real question is really "what is your own" .. one day I hope someone will actually take some interest in helping out with "my" site and I won't have to submit every article, link and resto recommendation myself....

In this I have been particularly careful not to "steal" names of resto's from here. (even though it was suggested) ... I don't do that... all my resto recommendations are either submitted to me by email (tedious since I then have to reply and make sure the person doesn't mind me adding their email and then post them) , directly through news items (about 2 people ever) or on the forum (2-3) ....

(I'm hesitiating to name any other region or city sites ... rather due to accidentally dragging jcc into a discussion when I mean to use it as an example. )

Anyway.... I'm in my gluten induced ADHD and drifting.....

So the question is really if someone was directed here from my site and became a member here would that prohibit them from posting back... especially if (and I hope I find someone before I just give up and leave the thing to die) they are also an admin of the site?

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello gfp,

We should correspond about a good deal of this via PM's (personal messages), because much of this, especially the questions you have about developing your Web site, doesn't really apply to this forum topic--why we have our rules. Please PM me if you have any questions that I might be able to help you with regarding the best way to develop your site.

As far as using an admin from your site to make posts with links back to your site goes, well that is really the same thing as you doing it so it would not be allowed. I am not opposed with you, on a very limited basis (if someone requests it), occasionally PM'ing people with information about your site--but why not just post the information on the board that responds to the post, rather than PM'ing it? That way the information will be helpful to everyone? Please do not see this as a green light to mass-PM people about your site because that would definitely violate our rules. This message board is designed for you to post actual information that will be helpful to all of our visitors, so I always recommend that you try to respond to members by posting the information here rather than linking to information. The only exception is when the information is copyright protected, for example it is best to link to a New York Times article rather than post the article here because it is a copyright violation to post such material here.

In summary, please do not think of PM's as a way to skirt the board's rules--but certainly you can use them to communicate personally with someone. The problem with sharing important information via PM's is that it does not end up on the board, so the information will not help anyone else other than the person you PM. We prefer that you post any information that will be helpful to others on the board in regular posts. Using someone else to promote your site on our board is not acceptable either--if your site provides important information to people here someone will find it and post it in the correct area.

We are not trying to stop people from linking to outside Web sites from here--just look through the posts and you will see tons of outside links--but we are trying to avoid subjecting our board's users to self promotional posts, which, in my opinion, do not provide our users with the best and most objective information.

Take care,

Scott

Archived