This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Maybe Everybody Here Already Knows This

spunky

spunky Contributor

But I used to buy really expensive gluten-free pastas. I did like some of the brown rice ones, but most were kind of yuckie and just way too expensive.

Since about last March, I've been going to a good-sized international market and buying rice or tapioca noodles of all types, mostly imported from Asian countries. I was a little worried about whether this would be safe or not, but I don't seem to have ever had a problem with any of these.

I use the large, round rice wrappers or tapioca wrappers (very cheap!) and make pans of lasagna with those. They work out really well for that, in addition to spring rolls. One day I softened up the rice wrappers and put peanut butter and jelly in them and baked them until cripsy...those very really good!

I found a macroni noodle from China...all rice. 1.25 per good-sized bag, whereas the old health food store equivalent cost me about 4 dollars per bag.

I also use rice vermacelli noodles as spaghetti noodles...again, very cheap and have caused me no discernable problems with several months of use so far.

I found 100% cornstarch noodles the last time I went to that store...I have no idea what to do with those yet!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice

Thanks Spunky, some good tips. I was wondering about using those rice wrappers to try and make baklava with and your peanut butter and jelly rolls tells me I right be on the right track. :)

spunky Contributor

Thanks Spunky, some good tips. I was wondering about using those rice wrappers to try and make baklava with and your peanut butter and jelly rolls tells me I right be on the right track. :)

I've been thinking about this, and I'm wondering if those micrwavable Indian flatbreads, pappadum or something like that, would be better for baklava? The only problem is that they are usually spicy, but if you could find them unspicy, they might be crispy enough to make nice baklava.

Lauren M Explorer

Oh my goodness, if you make baklava, rinne, I will be your BESTEST friend if you share some with me! Seriously, I come from a family of Greek-food-lovers and I'm seriously missing baklava!

If you could make some spanakopita while you're at it, that would be great too ;)

- Lauren

eKatherine Rookie
But I used to buy really expensive gluten-free pastas. I did like some of the brown rice ones, but most were kind of yuckie and just way too expensive.

Since about last March, I've been going to a good-sized international market and buying rice or tapioca noodles of all types, mostly imported from Asian countries. I was a little worried about whether this would be safe or not, but I don't seem to have ever had a problem with any of these.

I use the large, round rice wrappers or tapioca wrappers (very cheap!) and make pans of lasagna with those. They work out really well for that, in addition to spring rolls. One day I softened up the rice wrappers and put peanut butter and jelly in them and baked them until cripsy...those very really good!

I found a macroni noodle from China...all rice. 1.25 per good-sized bag, whereas the old health food store equivalent cost me about 4 dollars per bag.

I also use rice vermacelli noodles as spaghetti noodles...again, very cheap and have caused me no discernable problems with several months of use so far.

I found 100% cornstarch noodles the last time I went to that store...I have no idea what to do with those yet!

I have a shelf full of cannisters of different rice and other noodles I bought at the local Asian store. I have to say I don't care for the texture of the ones with tapioca in them. A favorite of mine is a Japanese potato starch noodle.

I find that most of these cook up quicker and better if they are soaked until flexible before putting them in boiling water.

gfp Enthusiast
I find that most of these cook up quicker and better if they are soaked until flexible before putting them in boiling water.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Why did I never think of that!

Its always a prob because the cooking time is so sensitive and soaking them in the boiling water leaves glue at one end and cardboard at the other if you try it with spagetti....

queenofhearts Explorer

Wow, what a fantastic idea to use rice wrappers as a filo substitute! Can't wait to try it-- I have some in my pantry right now. I'm a big fan of Asian markets for gluten-free everything, too. Has anyone tried sweet potato flour? I just picked some up on a whim...

Leah

"I've been thinking about this, and I'm wondering if those micrwavable Indian flatbreads, pappadum or something like that, would be better for baklava? The only problem is that they are usually spicy, but if you could find them unspicy, they might be crispy enough to make nice baklava."

Wouldn't think these would work so well, myself. I love them but the flavor is pretty assertive even in the plain variety, & the texture is too heavy...

Also, you really need to look out for asafetida. Most papadams have it, & it's not gluten-free. It's also called Hing. There are a couple of brands that are okay, but check ingredients.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

What are the chances these are safe for people with egg, soy, dairy and corn allergies too ?

Or am I dreaming :unsure:

queenofhearts Explorer
What are the chances these are safe for people with egg, soy, dairy and corn allergies too ?

Or am I dreaming :unsure:

The rice pasta & wrappers I've seen contain just rice, water & sometimes salt. You should be safe!

marciab Enthusiast

Now to find an asian store in a small town in central Florida. Do you know what I would look for in the phone book ?

queenofhearts Explorer

Now to find an asian store in a small town in central Florida. Do you know what I would look for in the phone book ?

In my yellow pages they are listed under "Grocers" & "Grocers- Ethnic"-- just look for Asian, East or Oriental in the name. Hope you find one, they are a great resource.

gfp Enthusiast
In my yellow pages they are listed under "Grocers" & "Grocers- Ethnic"-- just look for Asian, East or Oriental in the name. Hope you find one, they are a great resource.

AFIAK Rice "spring rolls" are mainly vietnamese and called nems...

Also, you really need to look out for asafetida. Most papadams have it, & it's not gluten-free.

OMG are you sure?

Its part of the same family as parsley....(Apiaceae)

Incidentally and totally off topic the hollow stem is what promethius used to steal the fire from the sun.

marciab Enthusiast

Rats, we only have a mexican store listed in the yellow pages. I'll have to ask around and see if I can locate a specialty store that carries it. Thanks though ... :)

Michi8 Contributor
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Why did I never think of that!

Its always a prob because the cooking time is so sensitive and soaking them in the boiling water leaves glue at one end and cardboard at the other if you try it with spagetti....

You can break the spaghetti in half to shorten it to fit in the pot better, and give both ends equal cooking time. I do that for my family...makes it easier for my kids to eat it too...not forever trying to twirl spaghetti around the fork. :D

Michelle

jerseyangel Proficient

eKatherine,

Could you give me more information on the Japanese potato starch noodle you talked about? Thanks!

rinne Apprentice
Oh my goodness, if you make baklava, rinne, I will be your BESTEST friend if you share some with me! Seriously, I come from a family of Greek-food-lovers and I'm seriously missing baklava!

If you could make some spanakopita while you're at it, that would be great too ;)

- Lauren

LOL Coming right up and happy to be your BESTEST friend. :)

I will try it, maybe even today and report back.

Lauren M Explorer
LOL Coming right up and happy to be your BESTEST friend. :)

I will try it, maybe even today and report back.

Yessssss!!! :D

- Lauren

eKatherine Rookie
You can break the spaghetti in half to shorten it to fit in the pot better, and give both ends equal cooking time. I do that for my family...makes it easier for my kids to eat it too...not forever trying to twirl spaghetti around the fork. :D

Michelle

Argh, NOOOOO... :o

That makes it impossible to eat without the short ends splashing sauce on your face and clothes. Twirling is good for learning coordination and manners, and once you have learned it it's easier to eat that way. Asian spaghetti is shorter than American spaghetti anyway.

Kaycee Collaborator

And if I do a plain vegetable stir fry for our tea, I put some aside for the next day and I add cooked rice noodles to it for my lunch the next day. Yum.

You can also pre soak the rice wraps until soft, and wrap them around cooked mince etc. and then cook in the oven, just like a pie. They tend to stick a bit, so nonstick cookware is a must. Spray with oil if you like.

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...
rinne Apprentice

Lauren, best friend :) , I think the ricepaper wraps have potential for baklava. This is what I did, I brushed the dry rice wraps with melted ghee (I can't have butter), layered toasted walnuts in between the layers, and then baked it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. As soon as I took it out I poured hot maple syrup over it all so that the syrup would go between each layer. At first it didn't seem to work at all, the rice was brittle and it was all too oily but after it sat with a lid on it for a few hours the maple syrup seemed to soften the rice slightly and it started to have that baklava taste and texture.

I am thinking my next test I would do the same thing but I would layer the maple syrup in between the layers as I went rather than waiting till afterwards. For anyone who can have butter, butter would add moisture.

This is dangerous, the last time I was here I baked this and ate most of it. :lol: I've been meaning to get back here and post the results and now that I have I am thinking I might just have to go and try again.

Archived