Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hapy4dolphins

Rice Dreams Milk

HI, I thought I found a bargain at the grocery store when Rice Dreams Milk was found on the shelf. I read the label and it doesn't say anything about gluten of any type. But hubby is disagreeing saying he read something on it. So, wants me to double check. Usually he's right, I have to admit it.

Thanks

Nicole

Nicole

1995 Diagnosed finally with Endometriosis

1998 TMJ (Nicole)

1999 Hypothryroid (Nicole)

2005 Celiac (Nicole)

2005 summer- daughter on gluten-free diet (Nicole's daughter)

2007 (December) maternal mom diagnosed postiive with celiac disease and hypo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I believe the Rice Dream milk (but not their ice cream) has barley in it, but I could be wrong. I do avoid that brand, though, as I've heard it contains barley, but I haven't seen this myself. Hopefully someone else can chime in here to confirm.

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

I believe that the side of the Rice Dreams milk carton shows in very small print a statement which says they use barley to process that product. It says dairy free on the carton, but nowhere does it say gluten free. At a celiac walk and gluten free food fair in 2005 I watched a volunteer offer children milk to put on their gluten free cereal samples. When I saw that milk was 'Rice Dream', I stopped the volunteer and told her to check the side of the box, before she offered it to children. Sure enough it said 'processed with malt (barley) on the side'. RICE DREAM MILK HAS GLUTEN.

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

Yep, unfortunately it's processed with barley. It was a very good milk that we drank pre gluten free.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

YOU WIN! You are right. I have been sicker then sick today and in the bathroom lots. I'm just not always sure what end it's going to come from. Thanks for the posts. Nicole

Nicole

1995 Diagnosed finally with Endometriosis

1998 TMJ (Nicole)

1999 Hypothryroid (Nicole)

2005 Celiac (Nicole)

2005 summer- daughter on gluten-free diet (Nicole's daughter)

2007 (December) maternal mom diagnosed postiive with celiac disease and hypo

Noooo...

... what else can i use now then I have to go gluten-free, lactose /dairy free - i will add soya back in first (after the month but i know ive reacted before now)...

pants! :( could this day get any suckier

Noooo...

... what else can i use now then I have to go gluten-free, lactose /dairy free - i will add soya back in first (after the month but i know ive reacted before now)...

Check out almond or hazelnut milk. We've taken to adding fruit juice (we dilute it) to cereal in the mornings.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Noooo...

Yes, I used to enjoy Rice Dream before I found the barley in it. I make my own: Make one cup (cooked) sushi rice. Put in blender with 2 quarts Boiling water (a little at a time) Sucanat or Turbinado sugar (if you like) and gluten-free vanilla. Blend. Strain out rice and keep it for the week! It's not thick, but, it's good and you know what's in it!

lisa

Wow.... that explains a lot - and I was trying to figure our what was bugging me. I have a casein sensitivity, and have found that soy can cause migraines (which I am prone to). But when I tried rice milk, it didn't seem to sit well with me.

So now I know! I would think they would be required to list the barley as part of the ingredient list, despite the small amount.

:huh:

Sheryll

i just had a look at my rice milk and it says it has less than .002% barley in it, but i guess thats .002% to much, to bad though, thanks nadine

Wow.... that explains a lot - and I was trying to figure our what was bugging me. I have a casein sensitivity, and have found that soy can cause migraines (which I am prone to). But when I tried rice milk, it didn't seem to sit well with me.

So now I know! I would think they would be required to list the barley as part of the ingredient list, despite the small amount.

:huh:

Sheryll

Nadine

mom of 4 great kids - 2 diagnosed with autism and 2 typical kids (thank goodness)

all this started after my hysterectomy in March of 2006

G.F. since Feb 2007

Soy free since April 2007

Blood work was negatvie (after 2 weeks of being on the gluten-free diet)

entrolab results:

Antigliadin 9 (normal <10)

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 - 0302

HLA-DQB2 Allele 2 - 0502

HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 8,5)

carrying one celiac gene and one gluten intolerant gene

nurse at entrolab figures i caught this early and dont eat gluten anymore

life is like a box of chocolates;sometimes you get stuck with the yukky coconut fillet one

DariFree milk alternative is gluten free also. We get it through the mail:

http://www.vancesfoods.com/

The only problem is that they keep raising their prices for the stuff. Seems like every time we order it, it costs more.

Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

Noooo...

Definitely try Almond Breeze. It's really tasty, and great on cereal, in tea or coffee, and for cooking. It's all we use now. They eve have a chocolate version that's a super tasty indulgence too!

Definitely try Almond Breeze. It's really tasty, and great on cereal, in tea or coffee, and for cooking. It's all we use now. They eve have a chocolate version that's a super tasty indulgence too!

My son does not like the rice milk or the almond milk, but he does like Hemp milk, especially the vanilla. I've also heard about potato based dari free milks. Finally, some people drink coconut milk, and I hear it's best fresh from the coconut. From experience, I know the canned varieties -- some are more subtle and some tastes stronger (like suntan lotion smells). I prefer the more subtle.

Good luck!

I am resurrecting this old post because I just bought a box of Rice Dreams and it does not say anything about barley on it. In fact, it says that it is Gluten Free. When I checked their website, it was listed as Gluten Free. http://www.tastethedream.com/health/glutenfree.php

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this change of labeling. Is it true, are they lying, is this the codex law I've been reading about in effect? I'm curious if everyone still just avoids this product, or if it's proving to be ok for people with sensitivities.

never dx Celiac

dx IBS whole life

gluten free 9/12/07

husband:

blood test results negative

dx psoriatic arthritis 2005

psoriasis since childhood

gluten free 9/14/07

Unless I see documentation from the company indicating that they no longer use barley, I'm not willing to try it. The Whole Foods 365 brand rice milk is gluten free, and tastes fine. We use that all the time without any problems.

I am resurrecting this old post because I just bought a box of Rice Dreams and it does not say anything about barley on it. In fact, it says that it is Gluten Free. When I checked their website, it was listed as Gluten Free. http://www.tastethedream.com/health/glutenfree.php

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this change of labeling. Is it true, are they lying, is this the codex law I've been reading about in effect? I'm curious if everyone still just avoids this product, or if it's proving to be ok for people with sensitivities.

Now that our wonderful government has decided how much poison is safe for us Rice Dreams can legally take the barley warning off the box and replace it with Gluten Free. They did not change the formula just the carton. And yes this is because our government has now defined gluten free as TESTING below a certain level. They are able to show that each serving is showing this toxin below a certain level with gluten additives so legally they can say it is gluten free. It is no more gluten free than it ever was. The gov of course has not taken into account that multiple doses of a small level of a toxin add up. With more of us being diagnosed and avoiding malt and gluten in general this is bound to effect the big businesses that run our food supply. I may be wrong but I predict we will soon see gluten-free on cereals that have malt also and the malt will again hide in natural flavors. It is important that we contact the FDA as often as we can to let them know that although the level is okay in their eyes it is making us sick and that their definition of gluten-free needs to be really gluten free. It is also vital that we contact companies like Rice Dream and let them know that their product is making us sick. If we don't complain they will not ever change the label to give us the honest choice of whether to take the risk or not.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Just wanted to chime in here.....I also can verify that Rice Dream still has the .002% barley in it, their formula has not changed, they are just legally allowed to claim it is gluten free now. I received an e-mail from them regarding this last week. This just infuriates me to no end. It seems as if we can't even trust the "gluten free" label anymore.

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

never dx Celiac

dx IBS whole life

gluten free 9/12/07

husband:

gluten free 9/14/07

It really is unfortunate that they are now allowed to use the Gluten Free labeling if they haven't gotten rid of the .002% barley. It makes me wary of a lot of foods now.

Does 'certified gluten-free' mean anything? I guess I'll just have to follow my gut.... I had been using the Rice Milk I'd bought & had been having mild D for days. I've now switched to another brand & am starting to feel a little better. I'm going to email them & let them know. Companies should know that there's a large segment of their potential customers who simply will avoid their brand unless they make changes.

never dx Celiac

dx IBS whole life

gluten free 9/12/07

husband:

gluten free 9/14/07

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online