Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UR Groovy

Am I The Only Blusher?

I've always been a terrible blusher. I know - it doesn't seem like a problem, but it is. In job interviews, in social situations, and all my life, I've never been able to tell even the slightest fib, or have a cool conversation. It seemed it had really actually disappeared quite a bit these last few months, but I accidentally glutened myself yesterday - I won't even go into that. I was in Wild Oats tonight chatting with the cashier about PLU #'s & felt that old flush happening - PLU #'s - what's embarassing about that? The gal behind us in line saw it & kind of giggled. I'm sick of this. I'm a 39 year old woman !

Does anybody else have this rediculous problem, or is it just me? Could it possibly be related at all, or am I doomed to a life of never-ending redness?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, I am a 53-year-old woman, and I still have the same problem! I don't think it has anything to do with celiac disease, though. It is embarrassing, but there is nothing I can do about it.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I have that problem. I never noticed until recently that it was so noticable to others, b/c I blush for absolutely no reason. I'm probably blushing right now just thinking about the possibility of blushing :ph34r::lol:. I read once that if you feel yourself blushing, you should puposely try to make yourself blush more. Apparantly that makes it go away, because it's not actually possible to purposely make yourself blush. I don't know if that makes sense, or if it works, but it's something to try...

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

I thought it was just me. I've always been a blusher. I think it might be a little bit better since going fanatically gluten-free, but I still definitely blush. Cheeks, ears and neck.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Yep--I've always been a blusher, too. Since I was a litle girl.

I wonder if it's connected? Interesting.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I read once that if you feel yourself blushing, you should puposely try to make yourself blush more. Apparantly that makes it go away, because it's not actually possible to purposely make yourself blush. I don't know if that makes sense, or if it works, but it's something to try...

Could that be true? I'd love to try to make myself blush, but by the time I can feel myself getting hot, I think it's too late. I realize that a certain percentage of the population is going to be blushers regardless of their medical history. I know - it's a preposterous notion. That's me - chasing rainbows - you know, hoping for a life where I don't wear my emotions on my sleeve. Originally, I was going to put this in the "anything but Celiac" category & just vent a little. But, when my guy 'caught' me blushing last night, he said, "I haven't seen you blush in a while - maybe it's a gluten thing". I actually asked my Nephrologist about it a couple months ago (yes, it's been that much of a problem) - she said "it's nice - it means you're a very emotional person". Nice?! <_<

It'd be nice if there were a pill for this:

Take two of these before social engagements and job interviews. I'd take it - or a natural remedy. Months ago, I actually did a few searches on blushing to see if maybe there was something I could do about it. It's not looking good at this point.

I've always had a red blochy face. People always thought I was sunburnt, blushing, or ill! Yesterday a co-worker said to me "I noticed scince you started this diet, your not so red-faced anymore!" That made me blush, but he said that this was a differnt kind of red. The red he was talking about is a blotchy "I ate something I'm allergic to" red. Ironic, but it was all hindsight.

I have found my complextion is much better, but I was beet red singing karaoke the other night!

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

I blush all the time too. But, you know what I don't really care anymore. I know it happens and I may look stupid, but I just try to ignore it and it doesn't bother me too much. Trust me I blush at the grocery store checkout, every interview.....

Before I was gluten-free I really got self conscious about blushing, but now it is just who I am. Try to embrace it. Honestly the less you think about it, the less you'll worry about it. Try to direct your energy elsewhere. And, who cares what people think if you blush. They are just jealous. LOL

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

Actually, it's really hard to embarass me (try growing up with my dad) but I blush when I get nervous. Like if I'm at work and a customer is yelling at me. Does that happen to anyone else?

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Yep. My chest gets blotchy hot pink. I do think it is better now that I'm gluten free. I know I blush in an allergic reaction or migraine aura way. But I also think being gluten free has reduced some of my overall level of anxiety and overall inflammation in the body, and that that has reduced some of the blushing too.

Gluten-Free since February 2006

I read in a magazine once that if you purposely try to blush, you won't be able to. I've never tested it since I start blushing before I realize, but you could try it.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

I'm terrible about blushing :rolleyes: Once I feel the heat rising in my face it's all over! I'm embarassed that I'm blushing and so I blush......I end up looking like a tomato! Even my chest and sholders break out in red blotchy hives if I'm nervous :blink:

Add me to the group. I would break out in red blotches over my face,neck and chest if I was upset or nervous or angry or had a mixed drink or wine...worst was in my teens to my 30's. It seemed to be less as I got older. I thought it was hormonally related , but it seems to be more celiac oriented. I haven't done it much at all for the past 4 years, but I can "regular" blush with the best of them even now!

Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003

Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003

Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003