This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Some Celiacs Can

Yenni

Yenni Enthusiast

I think I remember reading here that some Celiacs don't seem to do well on any grains or even rice. I just can't remember why. I seem to be one of them.

Does anyone know? Are there any theories?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I was just back to Michigan for a wedding and visit with my family. My mother guestioned my need to avoid nightshades and more or less feels I am nuts. So, upon returning home, I started researching nightshades and such. It seems that grains and nightshades all contain lectin, which to me seems to be a common ground for some of us. Gluten in itself, is a lectin. So, it doesn't surprise me that some of us can't tolerate other lectins. Research lectins and see what you think.

Serena53 Newbie
I think I remember reading here that some Celiacs don't seem to do well on any grains or even rice. I just can't remember why. I seem to be one of them.

Does anyone know? Are there any theories?

I am not sure either, but I heard recently (within the last year) that grain which has been sprouted does not contain gluten, and is therefore safe. I was joyous. I tried some. I baked some bread which was sprouted grain. It seemed to work - or did it? Was I still lethargic and constipated due to the grain? Then I read a recipe for making sprouted grain bread, and the author made reference to the gluten needing to be fully activated which takes longer in sprouted grains. What is the truth here?

Also, I seem to do OK with rice, ie no bloating, gas, or constipation, however, I still feel tired or lethargic if I have consumed a lot of it.

My theory is that in part at least, I seem to be having a negative reaction to "sugars" be they from complex carbohydrate sources, or refined. I don't understand the whole picture, but sugars, and glutens are bad, at least for me, even though I have the damnedest time staying away from them, LOL.

Serena

Nancym Enthusiast

I have a new theory about this and am currently testing it out on myself. I'm thinking that when we were sick from eating gluten/dairy we got a bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel. I broached that with my doctor and he was amenable to putting me on a specific antibiotic called rifamixin, which stays local to the bowel and isn't absorbed into the blood stream. It has been used successfully in cases of IBS and IBD. So I've been on it for 3 days today and my gut feels very calm. But it always seemed like eating anything starchy fired it up.

I'm going to give myself a few more starch free days then test it out by eating some starchy stuff and see if the IBS comes back. If not, I'm thinking I nailed the diagnosis and the antibiotic cured me.

You can read more about this by googling small bowel bacterial overgrowth or small bowel overgrowth.

I think there are other ways of treating this yourself including eating a no-starch/no-sugar diet for a few weeks. You might just be able to starve out the bacteria.

jerseyangel Proficient
I have a new theory about this and am currently testing it out on myself. I'm thinking that when we were sick from eating gluten/dairy we got a bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel. I broached that with my doctor and he was amenable to putting me on a specific antibiotic called rifamixin, which stays local to the bowel and isn't absorbed into the blood stream. It has been used successfully in cases of IBS and IBD. So I've been on it for 3 days today and my gut feels very calm. But it always seemed like eating anything starchy fired it up.

I'm going to give myself a few more starch free days then test it out by eating some starchy stuff and see if the IBS comes back. If not, I'm thinking I nailed the diagnosis and the antibiotic cured me.

You can read more about this by googling small bowel bacterial overgrowth or small bowel overgrowth.

I think there are other ways of treating this yourself including eating a no-starch/no-sugar diet for a few weeks. You might just be able to starve out the bacteria.

I'll be very interested to see how you do on the Rifamixin. I'm being tested for SIBO in a couple of weeks, and this is the med my new gastroenterologist said he would use for me.

I'm still trying to find the cause of my many other food intolerances.

Jenny--A lot of the foods I'm sensitive to are lectins. The only one that I've been able to eat again is rice. I omitted it entirely for over 6 months (it was hard), and find that I can eat it again.

Ursa Major has a fantastic site that explains all about lectins. I'm not sure if it's on her profile page, but you could always PM her for it.

Some people just have problems with grains themselves.

Tim-n-VA Contributor

One very likely scenario is that some celiacs have other conditions (diagnosed or not) that cause reactions to rice and other grains.

debmidge Rising Star
I'll be very interested to see how you do on the Rifamixin. I'm being tested for SIBO in a couple of weeks, and this is the med my new gastroenterologist said he would use for me.

I'm still trying to find the cause of my many other food intolerances.

Jenny--A lot of the foods I'm sensitive to are lectins. The only one that I've been able to eat again is rice. I omitted it entirely for over 6 months (it was hard), and find that I can eat it again.

Ursa Major has a fantastic site that explains all about lectins. I'm not sure if it's on her profile page, but you could always PM her for it.

Some people just have problems with grains themselves.

....I mised it, what's SIBO?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nikki-uk Enthusiast
....I mised it, what's SIBO?

Small intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks, Nikki :D

Deb--I'm looking into why, after 2 years on the diet, I'm still reacting to so many other foods. I have read (there's an article about it here on this site) that SIBO is thought to be one potential cause of this.

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-48107588553.56

RiceGuy Collaborator
I am not sure either, but I heard recently (within the last year) that grain which has been sprouted does not contain gluten, and is therefore safe. I was joyous. I tried some. I baked some bread which was sprouted grain. It seemed to work - or did it? Was I still lethargic and constipated due to the grain? Then I read a recipe for making sprouted grain bread, and the author made reference to the gluten needing to be fully activated which takes longer in sprouted grains. What is the truth here?

The fact is, if the flour doesn't contain gluten, it won't be elastic, thus won't work any better than gluten-free flours do without guar/xanthan gum.

Yenni Enthusiast

Sorry that is has taken so long for me to get back to this thread. I haven't been able to get online here.

Anyways...Seems the lectin could be my problem.

I am gonna look into Ursa Majors page.

Thanks all of you! Sorry again that it took me so long to reply.

Nancym Enthusiast

I've had about a week post rifamaxin and my bowels are doing quite well! I had a lot of rice two days this week and I'm rock steady. The real test is to see if I can down a couple of vending machine bags of chips, that always seemed to make me sick before. I gain weight at the drop of a hat though so I'm trying to be good about the carbs.

Guest maybe I have celiac

What is D? Depression?

Murph Newbie
My theory is that in part at least, I seem to be having a negative reaction to "sugars" be they from complex carbohydrate sources, or refined.

Serena

It's likely due to intestinal Candida. Others mentioned it as "small bowel overgrowth", but to me that's not as specific.

I've researched this a lot and have come to believe that just about all long-term sufferers of celiac have Candida & leaky-gut (increased intestinal permeability).

And sprouted grain is still grain. It's the wheatgrass that has no gluten. But I wouldn't consume it cuz I think it's way too easy to get contaminated.

Murph Newbie
What is D? Depression?

Diarrhea.

You'll see D mentioned a zillion times on any celiac forum. And, hehe, if not abbreviated likely to be spelled wrong. :)

Guest maybe I have celiac
Diarrhea.

You'll see D mentioned a zillion times on any celiac forum. And, hehe, if not abbreviated likely to be spelled wrong. :)

Thanks, I noticed that when I have gone Gluten free, my "D" has been somewhat alleviated, I hope this keeps up!

Betty in Texas Newbie

Sounds like you are on to something but you have to becareful with the antibiotics because the can cause you problems by giveing you an inbalance in the good and bad bacterial that could cause a n bacterial overgrowth .

Archived