This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has Anyone Had Severe Face Pain As A Result Of Gluten?

holiday16

holiday16 Enthusiast

I had an episode a few weeks ago where the entire left side of my face was in terrible pain. It was like all the nerves on one side were hypersensitive. Even blinking on that side would hurt. It really was the entire left side of my head and not just the face. It went away after a couple days and I had had an extended period of having gluten the previous week which I didn't realize until my daughter also reacted. It must have been something that had very low levels of gluten and we were having it every day so it was building up. Removed it and we were both fine.

I wasn't sure of the connection until I accidentally had a small amount of gluten and I noticed when I washed my face that night the left side was more sensitive again.

Anyone else have anything like this happen?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

My Mom had terrible migraines from gluten including some hurting her face like that also numbness and just very odd things.

jerseyangel Proficient

When I first went gluten-free--like the end of the first week--I got really bad numbness and a very odd feeling in general on the left side of my face and in my left arm.

I remember it was a Friday evening, but I was concerned enough to call my doctor. Talking to her on the phone, and hearing that it didn't sound like anything urgent calmed me down somewhat. Even now, if I'm glutened, I get slight numbness on the left side of my face.

WW340 Rookie

There is a condition called Tic douloureux or trigeminal neuralgia that may be what you are describing. I kept having terrible bouts of this prior to diagnosis and going gluten free. I have not had it since.

I read an article somewhere that there was some relationship to celiac disease, but I can't find it now. It can affect the face only, or the face, jaw and neck.

You might look it up and see if it sounds like what you are experiencing.

Aligray Apprentice

I have not had a specific side numbness or pain. What i do have is this...when i am glutened, my face will become bright red w purple tints and it will burn and hurt terribly. My friends and coworkers know this about me. It will show up within the first 30 minutes and will stay for 3-4 days until the gluten is out of my system.

holiday16 Enthusiast

I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one that gets this and it could be associated with gluten. Bit relieved as it was such an odd symptom and very relieved that it went away! This is the kind of thing that would happen before going gluten free. I would get all these weird symptoms, but nothing was ever consistent. By the time one thing went away something else weird would show up. I can understand why as a Dr. it's so hard to trace down the cause when the symptoms are so sporadic and who would ever trace things like this back to a dietary issue!

holiday16 Enthusiast
There is a condition called Tic douloureux or trigeminal neuralgia that may be what you are describing. I kept having terrible bouts of this prior to diagnosis and going gluten free. I have not had it since.

I read an article somewhere that there was some relationship to celiac disease, but I can't find it now. It can affect the face only, or the face, jaw and neck.

You might look it up and see if it sounds like what you are experiencing.

I looked it up and this sounds an awful lot like what was going on. I have a Dr. appt. coming up and I'll mention it, but I think it will just fall in the category of odd symptoms I've had. I'm so thankful that it stopped because it really is incredibly painful. The description of wind blowing hurting the face really fits. We were in a store where the air was blowing and even that was painful. I ended up with a huge headache and taking Advil when we got home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Robert Noah
    Newest Member
    Robert Noah
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Nacina
      Well, that's a big question. When he was seeing the nutrition response testing dr. that changed each time we went in. He hasn't been seeing him regularly for theist ten months. When he had a horribly week in March I started him back on the 4 that were suggested to keep him on. Those are: Standard Process Chlorophyll Complex gluten-free, SP A-F Betafood gluten-free, SP Tuna Omega-3 Oil gluten-free, And Advanced Amino Formula. He also takes a one a day from a company called Forvia (multivitamin and mineral) and Probiotic . Recently he had to start Vitamin D as well as he was deficient.  
    • Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B