This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Substitute For Rice And Corn Flour

Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose Explorer

I am looking for a substitute for rice and corn flour in the gluten free mixes you make yourself. I want to make some bread, muffins, donuts, anything but don't know what will work as a substitute for the rice flours that most of the receipes call for.

Thanks for your help.

Yellow Rose

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast

I like to use amaranth flour instead of rice flour. It is more nutritious than rice flour, and it does not have a strong taste. I actually like the taste it does have. I'm not sure about corn flour, but you should be able to replace it with just about anything.

Arpita Apprentice

I use sorghum flour for just about everything. It has a taste very similar to wheat. You can get the Bob's Red Mill from many stores. Or you can order it online from Twin Valley Mills (which is better and cheaper). I have taken some recipes and just exchanged it one and one for wheat (such as shortbread, mexican tea cakes, pumpkin bread). Also, there are recipes at Twin Valley's website. Here's a flour-combo mix with sorghum that works with almost everything - 2 cups sorghum, 1 1/2 cups potato or corn starch, 1 cup tapioca (and substitute that for all the flour in the recipe). I have many sorghum recipes, and a chocolate chip cookie recipe that is definitely as good or better than regular chocolate chip cookies. When I have a little more time, I e-mail it to you.

emcmaster Collaborator

I was going to second sorghum as being a good substitute. I don't bake much (actually it's been almost 7 months since I've baked anything! wow!) but I have had good results with sorghum.

As a sub for cornstarch, I use arrowroot starch. It works fine.

Yellow Rose Explorer

Thanks everyone this will really be helpful.

Yellow Rose

Cheri A Contributor

I also sub sorghum flour instead of rice flour and use the same combo as Armita does. The bread in my avatar is from www.twinvalleymills.com, modified for a few more allergies though.

Armita, I'd love for you to PM me the chocolate chip cookie recipe too when you have a chance (if it doesn't have a ton of eggs in it).

Yellow Rose Explorer

I have been reading about some of you using coconut flour and having good results. But having to add a lot of eggs. Does anyone know what the adaptions would be if I substituted coconut flour. I am wanting to try several different ways of doing this.

Thanks again,

Yellow Rose

Armita when you get time I would love the recipe for your cookies!!!

Thanks,

Carole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Arpita Apprentice
I have been reading about some of you using coconut flour and having good results. But having to add a lot of eggs. Does anyone know what the adaptions would be if I substituted coconut flour. I am wanting to try several different ways of doing this.

Thanks again,

Yellow Rose

Armita when you get time I would love the recipe for your cookies!!!

Thanks,

Carole

Arpita Apprentice

Sorghum Recipes:

Chocolate Chip Cookies #1

3/4 cup sorghum flour (Twin Valley)

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/4 cup potato starch

1 tsp zanthum gum

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup coconut oil OR palm shortening OR lard (no soy or casein)

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup granulated sugar

2 tsp vanilla (gluten free)

1 egg (or egg replacer)

1 cup chocolate chips (enjoy life or chocolate emporium if you want soy & casein free)

1/4 cup nuts

Bake on 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Chocolate Chip Cookies #2 - has some rice flour

7/8 cup sorghum flour

1/8 cup garbanzo flour

1/8 cup sweet rice flour

1 tsp zanthum gum

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup shortening (see above for soy & casein free alternatives)

3/8 cup granulated sugar

3/8 cup brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 egg

1 cup chocolate chips (see above for soy free)

Bake on 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Sugar cookies -- Rolls out easier than wheat!

2 1/2 cups easy sorghum flour mix (see below)

1 tsp baking powder

2 1/2 teaspoons zanthum gum

1 tsp salt

1 cup sugar

1 cup shortening (see above for alternatives)

1 egg

2 tsp vanilla

add potato starch or flour mix as needed until you can knead it. It is OK to work the dough as much as you want (or not to).

Easy Sorghum Flour mix: 6 cups sorghum, 6 cups corn starch, 5 cups tapioca.

Can substitute arrowroot starch. Can substitute potato starch but lesson amount to 4 cups.

CAN actually use ONLY sorghum flour (it won't be a total flop like some of the rice recipes).

Cheri A Contributor

Thanks, Arpita! We're in the mood for some cookies today so I'll be making some!

Do you always order your flour through Twin Valley? I have emailed them a few times and gotten no response so I wasn't sure. Should I call them? Is their flour better than BRM?

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Arpita,

Your recipe #1 looks great, and I'd like to try it. I'm wondering if I could sub cornstarch for the tapioca since I'm intolerant to tapioca?

Archived