This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chicken Broth....

bfarnsworth0709

bfarnsworth0709 Rookie

I have noticed on Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts that you buy at the grocery store that it lists "chicken broth" as an ingredient. For me, chicken broth usually always has gluten in it. Is it safe for us in general to eat the chicken, or if the broth did have wheat would they have to put that as one of the ingredients?

I am just wondering if the chicken is normally safe?

Thanks and God bless,

Bobbi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I have noticed on Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts that you buy at the grocery store that it lists "chicken broth" as an ingredient. For me, chicken broth usually always has gluten in it. Is it safe for us in general to eat the chicken, or if the broth did have wheat would they have to put that as one of the ingredients?

I am just wondering if the chicken is normally safe?

Thanks and God bless,

Bobbi

Bobbi:

If the chicken broth is listed as an ingredient and it does not list wheat, the broth is safe. If wheat is used as an ingredient, by law it is required to be listed. IF wheat IS used in the chicken broth, then no, the chicken should not be eaten. Just look for wheat as an ingredient.

Not all chicken broth contains wheat. Swanson's chicken and beef broth is gluten free (but not the organic chicken broth). HerbOx chicken and beef bouillon is gluten free as well as others.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

We have used the Herbox before it was good.

Also, if you have a Wegmans in your area, their brand of Chicken Culinary Stock is gluten free and listed as such. I use it all the time. I love it. I paired it with some Glutano Targalte Noodles and fresh veggies and made some wonderful soups last winter.

bfarnsworth0709 Rookie
We have used the Herbox before it was good.

Also, if you have a Wegmans in your area, their brand of Chicken Culinary Stock is gluten free and listed as such. I use it all the time. I love it. I paired it with some Glutano Targalte Noodles and fresh veggies and made some wonderful soups last winter.

Thanks so much! I have always thought broth was bad and it would make me sick. I though it just naturally had gluten or something....not sure why I have always though that!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks so much! I have always thought broth was bad and it would make me sick. I though it just naturally had gluten or something....not sure why I have always though that!

Although the chicken broth must list wheat as a flavoring agent when it is in a meat product they do not have to list barley (malt), the much more likely gluten agent in this. Injected poultry is something we do need to check on. If it is not from a company that always lists gluten ingredients, like Kraft, to be safe and sure you should call the company. If it is made by a company you recognise you can also put the product name into a search engine and the words gluten free if the company has a gluten statement it should be one of the first search results that show up. I always buy organic unadded to poultry if possible, then there is no need for a call.

Perdue has already cooked chicken strips that are are labeled gluten free. This is a recent development. I was happy to see this. They are in the fridge section of the grocery store by the beef and chicken meats.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Perdue has already cooked chicken strips that are are labeled gluten free. This is a recent development. I was happy to see this. They are in the fridge section of the grocery store by the beef and chicken meats.

They are a great company, if you go to their website they have a really long list of safe stuff. If you just put Perdue and gluten in a search engine it will take you right to the website for the list.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

They are a great company, if you go to their website they have a really long list of safe stuff. If you just put Perdue and gluten in a search engine it will take you right to the website for the list.

It's nice to see a company who is trying to help us. It makes me purchase their products more.

jerseyangel Proficient

Another great chicken broth--and the one I use--is Pacific Foods Free Range Organic Chicken Broth. It comes in regular and low-sodium and is marked gluten-free right on the box.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Pacific Foods is a really good one and I like that you can get single serving sizes.

confused Community Regular

I use chicken and beef stock from kitchen basics, it says right on the label gluten, soy and msg free and a few others. I use it for everything and love it.

paula

jerseyangel Proficient
Pacific Foods is a really good one and I like that you can get single serving sizes.

Love the single serving sizes--they can really come in handy! I brought some with me to the hospital last winter and all my husband had to do was pour it into a mug and microwave.

confused Community Regular

kitchen basic has the single serve also, i know broth and stock are a little different but i use them for everything for either thing lol. Heck i use anything that says gluten free even if i have never used it before or needed to use it lol

paula

• 4 weeks later...
megsbaby Newbie

In Canada, the no name (Superstore, Extra Foods, etc) brand regular chicken and beef broth in the tetra-boxes have wheat in them. However, according to the label, the less sodium versions of both chicken and beef broth don't seem to have wheat/gluten in the ingredients.

Archived