Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arpita

Lays Original-survey!

I'd like to get more postings on the LAYS - original classic or wavy. Do you have a gluten reaction to either of these types? (just the plain, potato, oil, salt)

On the advice of someone I met in my local support group, I only eat Frito-Lay products from the Plano, TX plant. She says she has never been glutened by the Plano equipment but she has been glutened by Frito-Lay products in other areas of the country when she travels. Frito-Lay prints which plant the product came from on the bag.

My family hasn't reacted to Lays plain or to Fritos plain from the Plano plant. :-)

I have never reacted to Lays Original or Wavy chips. I have no idea which plant they came from (I just checked, Plano Tx :lol: )--the weird thing is, I can not eat potatoes in any other form, only the chips. Now explain that to me!!!!

....... Do you have a gluten reaction to either of these types? (just the plain, potato, oil, salt)

No. I prefer Ruffles however. Ruffles are made with thicker slices of potatos. That's why they are more expensive and are hardly ever on sale.

Also eat Fritos, Cheetos, & Munchos, without regard to manufacturing plant location.

best regards, lm

I've eaten quite a few large party-size bags of original Lay's without a problem but the small single serve bags get me every time. I suspect it's cross contamination because I don't get violently ill like I do when I ingest gluten but I definitely have a few familiar and rather annoying symptoms for a couple of days. I've never checked to see which plant the chips are made in but that's very interesting...

when i first went gluten-free in march i ate original lays and got extreme gas for the first few weeks , but now i have no problems at all. kinda curious why the change

I cannot resist potato chips, but Utz are my go-to bag.

They are less greasy than Lays original and are labeled as gluten-free and I have not had a problem with them.

(Its also nice that they were a pre-diagnosis food I could keep around, so it feels a bit more special... as cheesy as that sounds)

I cannot resist potato chips, but Utz are my go-to bag.

They are less greasy than Lays original and are labeled as gluten-free and I have not had a problem with them.

(Its also nice that they were a pre-diagnosis food I could keep around, so it feels a bit more special... as cheesy as that sounds)

Utz made me react...worse than Lays!

I eat lays all the time with no symptoms. But my symptoms are faint and hard to detect, (Mood swings, being ready to kill someone at the drop of a hat... And extreme hyperness.) except for the silly thing. I get really silly... (aka, drawing a rocket ship on my brothers knee...)

I'd like to get more postings on the LAYS - original classic or wavy. Do you have a gluten reaction to either of these types? (just the plain, potato, oil, salt)

Lays makes a chip called the Sea Salt Chip usually found in the health food section of the store it does not have wheat they taste different and wonderful, I have been eating them for years.

Lay's Natural Corn and Potato chips made me sick for several months until I figured it out. :(

What's worse, when I called the company, they assured me that cross contamination was not a possibility and that the Natural chips were produced in a gluten free facility. :angry:

Well, their web sights contradicts that....

"The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected."

http://www.fritolay.com/fl/flstore/cgi-bin...odID_364066.htm

I avoid all LAYs products now, and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Lay's Natural Corn and Potato chips made me sick for several months until I figured it out. :(

What's worse, when I called the company, they assured me that cross contamination was not a possibility and that the Natural chips were produced in a gluten free facility. :angry:

Well, their web sights contradicts that....

"The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected."

http://www.fritolay.com/fl/flstore/cgi-bin...odID_364066.htm

I avoid all LAYs products now, and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Of all the mainstream companies Frito Lay is the one I postively hate the most. They have made us so sick so many times and the reps will lie their butts off to sell a product. I do so wish something could be done to make companies like this more responsible. Sometimes I wish I could get a large group of us together, have a feast on their products in the home office and then camp out for a week with a portajohn or two in the presidents office. Maybe 50 or so green, grouchy, blistered, puking, dizzy people fighting to get into the john and leaving diarhea trails across their thousand dollar carpeting might wake them up. .........

I hate it when we get conflicting information from companies..... :angry:

I called Frito-Lay several months ago, and the rep told me that the only chips that were made on dedicated equipment are the Stax--and they are marked "natutally gluten free" on the tubes.

I specifically asked about the Naturals, because I loved the Natural Ruffles and the Thick Sea Salt--she said the natural line was not made on dedicated equipment.

This is also the info they give on their website.