This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lays Original-survey!

Arpita

Arpita Apprentice

I'd like to get more postings on the LAYS - original classic or wavy. Do you have a gluten reaction to either of these types? (just the plain, potato, oil, salt)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Daughter eats these with no reaction, but she has an allergy and not celiac.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I eat them with no reaction. My antibodies consistently test negative.

jerseyangel Proficient

I found that I react to them--which is sad because I was addicted to them!

I now eat the Stax plain with no problems :)

zarfkitty Explorer

On the advice of someone I met in my local support group, I only eat Frito-Lay products from the Plano, TX plant. She says she has never been glutened by the Plano equipment but she has been glutened by Frito-Lay products in other areas of the country when she travels. Frito-Lay prints which plant the product came from on the bag.

My family hasn't reacted to Lays plain or to Fritos plain from the Plano plant. :-)

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I have never reacted to Lays Original or Wavy chips. I have no idea which plant they came from (I just checked, Plano Tx :lol: )--the weird thing is, I can not eat potatoes in any other form, only the chips. Now explain that to me!!!!

hez Enthusiast

I have never reacted to a lays product. I eat the wavy, plain and the staxx.

Hez

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Queener Newbie

I get glutened on Lays original and Wavy - but not stackables -- which are great!

WW340 Rookie

I have had no problems with Lays original potato chips, but I have reacted twice to the Fritos.

larry mac Enthusiast
....... Do you have a gluten reaction to either of these types? (just the plain, potato, oil, salt)

No. I prefer Ruffles however. Ruffles are made with thicker slices of potatos. That's why they are more expensive and are hardly ever on sale.

Also eat Fritos, Cheetos, & Munchos, without regard to manufacturing plant location.

best regards, lm

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I've eaten quite a few large party-size bags of original Lay's without a problem but the small single serve bags get me every time. I suspect it's cross contamination because I don't get violently ill like I do when I ingest gluten but I definitely have a few familiar and rather annoying symptoms for a couple of days. I've never checked to see which plant the chips are made in but that's very interesting...

pnltbox27 Contributor

when i first went gluten-free in march i ate original lays and got extreme gas for the first few weeks , but now i have no problems at all. kinda curious why the change

Matilda Enthusiast

melmak5 Contributor

I cannot resist potato chips, but Utz are my go-to bag.

They are less greasy than Lays original and are labeled as gluten-free and I have not had a problem with them.

(Its also nice that they were a pre-diagnosis food I could keep around, so it feels a bit more special... as cheesy as that sounds)

jerseyangel Proficient
I cannot resist potato chips, but Utz are my go-to bag.

They are less greasy than Lays original and are labeled as gluten-free and I have not had a problem with them.

(Its also nice that they were a pre-diagnosis food I could keep around, so it feels a bit more special... as cheesy as that sounds)

Utz made me react...worse than Lays!

melmak5 Contributor

Jerseyangel - Really?!

Was it the plain kind?

jerseyangel Proficient
Jerseyangel - Really?!

Was it the plain kind?

Yes it was--with gluten-free right on the bag. I mentioned it because I know you're having ongoing problems.

Read the statement at the bottom of this page--

Open Original Shared Link

melmak5 Contributor

I appreciate it thanks.

Maybe its time for 100% baby formula sans chips.

Oh potatoes, why do you have to be so delicious?

Daughter-of-TheLight Apprentice

I eat lays all the time with no symptoms. But my symptoms are faint and hard to detect, (Mood swings, being ready to kill someone at the drop of a hat... And extreme hyperness.) except for the silly thing. I get really silly... (aka, drawing a rocket ship on my brothers knee...)

• 4 weeks later...
Laine Newbie
I'd like to get more postings on the LAYS - original classic or wavy. Do you have a gluten reaction to either of these types? (just the plain, potato, oil, salt)

Lays makes a chip called the Sea Salt Chip usually found in the health food section of the store it does not have wheat they taste different and wonderful, I have been eating them for years.

AdLucem Rookie

Sorry, double post.

AdLucem Rookie

Lay's Natural Corn and Potato chips made me sick for several months until I figured it out. :(

What's worse, when I called the company, they assured me that cross contamination was not a possibility and that the Natural chips were produced in a gluten free facility. :angry:

Well, their web sights contradicts that....

"The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected."

I avoid all LAYs products now, and encourage everyone else to do the same.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Lay's Natural Corn and Potato chips made me sick for several months until I figured it out. :(

What's worse, when I called the company, they assured me that cross contamination was not a possibility and that the Natural chips were produced in a gluten free facility. :angry:

Well, their web sights contradicts that....

"The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected."

I avoid all LAYs products now, and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Of all the mainstream companies Frito Lay is the one I postively hate the most. They have made us so sick so many times and the reps will lie their butts off to sell a product. I do so wish something could be done to make companies like this more responsible. Sometimes I wish I could get a large group of us together, have a feast on their products in the home office and then camp out for a week with a portajohn or two in the presidents office. Maybe 50 or so green, grouchy, blistered, puking, dizzy people fighting to get into the john and leaving diarhea trails across their thousand dollar carpeting might wake them up. .........

jerseyangel Proficient

I hate it when we get conflicting information from companies..... :angry:

I called Frito-Lay several months ago, and the rep told me that the only chips that were made on dedicated equipment are the Stax--and they are marked "natutally gluten free" on the tubes.

I specifically asked about the Naturals, because I loved the Natural Ruffles and the Thick Sea Salt--she said the natural line was not made on dedicated equipment.

This is also the info they give on their website.

Archived