This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need French Fries!

sammers1

sammers1 Enthusiast

My 2 year old is recently diagnosed with Celiac and I want to make this as easy for her as possible. Which fast food places can (or other chains for that matter) can she safely eat friench fries. I know that they have to be in a designated frier but if they are, which are safe? Kids love french fries and bringing them from home is not always an option.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

A dedicated frier is a must. Most fast foods have gluten free options on their website, as in www.wendys.com. Possible cross contamination is always a risk when eating out anywhere. That is always a personal choice.

babinsky Apprentice
My 2 year old is recently diagnosed with Celiac and I want to make this as easy for her as possible. Which fast food places can (or other chains for that matter) can she safely eat friench fries. I know that they have to be in a designated frier but if they are, which are safe? Kids love french fries and bringing them from home is not always an option.

The Wendy's by me has a dedicated fryer as does in n out...I have had them at both places without problems

confusedks Enthusiast

In N Out is amazing! If you don't live on the west coast though, that won't do you any good. Also, some people buy little deep friers and make them at home...it's pretty easy.

Kassandra

Juliebove Rising Star

We make oven fries at home. There are organic brands you can buy that are gluten free. Or you can cut up your own potatoes, mix with some olive oil and whatever seasonings you want and bake until crispy, turning when they are about halfway done.

momandgirls Enthusiast

Red Robin restaurants have fries on their gluten free menu. Sometimes we make the hour trip to our closest one just for the fries! Also, in the summers anyway, we've found that it's pretty easy to find fries at agricultural fairs and places like that. There are often stands that sell french fries only.

kabowman Explorer

I make our own fries sometimes in the oven sometimes in the deep fat fryer. I eat fries at Cheeseburger in Paradise (because I can't have veggie oil and they use canola).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Snowball1952 Newbie

McDonalds has dedicated friers as well.

Snowball1952 Newbie

McDonalds has dedicated friers as well.

JennyC Enthusiast

Ore-Ida has a gluten free list, and many fries are gluten free. If you deep fry them, the extra crispy fast food fries by Ora-Ida should come close to the real thing. :)

(You should research McDonald's for yourself. Their fries contain wheat, but when they test they come up as gluten free. Some people eat them, some do not. It's a personal choice.)

happygirl Collaborator

Chick Fil A

wolfie Enthusiast

We do the fries at Cheeseburger in Paradise, Red Robin, Chick-fil-a and McDonalds. I also buy the Alexia Sweet Potato Fries and make them in the oven, the kids love them! I find these at Wal-mart for under $2.50.

• 11 months later...
rockin-k3 Newbie

I was told that Burger King french fries are gluten free because they are fried in a designated frier. However, after contacting them, I am informed that the batter they are dipped in is NOT gluten free. I then was told that McDonalds french fries were. I investigated further and found that to be incorect as well. McDonalds site lists the ingredients of all of their products and this is the result for "French fries"...

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

So sorry, because I know that I really miss my fast food french fries and the ease of the drive through! My closest option is Ore Ida, but you have to get the list off of their site, because not all types are safe.

Juliebove Rising Star
I was told that Burger King french fries are gluten free because they are fried in a designated frier. However, after contacting them, I am informed that the batter they are dipped in is NOT gluten free. I then was told that McDonalds french fries were. I investigated further and found that to be incorect as well. McDonalds site lists the ingredients of all of their products and this is the result for "French fries"...

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

So sorry, because I know that I really miss my fast food french fries and the ease of the drive through! My closest option is Ore Ida, but you have to get the list off of their site, because not all types are safe.

Burger King fries are not dipped in a batter. Unless they have some kind of special fries that are different than the regular ones.

Archived