This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Sprue, Or Latex Allergy?

michelleL

michelleL Apprentice

(I'm not sure exactly where to put this...)

I've just made a discovery... After years of weird cycles of having unbelievable multiple food allergies, going on elimination diets, achieving a state of having good health to a point and overcoming the "food allergies," I believed that I had celiac sprue because I for sure could not tolerate wheat and when I went on a gluten-free diet, all my symptoms vastly improved. I had also fit the profile with all of my other health problems. I was tested for celiac sprue, but since I was on a gluten-free diet for several months prior to these tests, they always came back negative.

Anyways, fast forward to the present. I've been gluten-free for several years now, but my symptoms have turned for the worst and shouldn't they be getting better with a gluten-free diet, eh???? And I am developing all those d*mn food allergies again to the weirdest things, like tomatoes, potatoes, cherries, pears, apples, etc. Then I had an episode of not being able to breathe, had to dial 911, spent a night at the hospital, returned home with an even worse outbreak of hives (I was and still am breaking out in hives everyday), I've discovered that I am severely allergic to latex, and that wheat has a similar protein make-up as latex - therefore, the reason I cannot tolerate wheat. And all these other foods also share the same protein makeup with latex, as well.

So, I just thought I'd send out an FYI. If you are following a gluten-free diet, have never really been confirmed as having celiac sprue, and your symptoms are not getting any better - maybe you have a latex allergy instead.

I would much rather have celiac sprue than a latex allergy. This is plain old crazy - had to throw away all my underwear, socks, anything with spandex, elastic or lycra.... Can it get any worse than this???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluejeangirl Contributor

Are ballons related to latex? I can't be around them or I'll have trouble breathing and get choking sensations. Are there any foods related to latex. I was wondering about bananas and avocadoes. If they're not ripe I'll react funny to these foods but seems to be better if they are ripe. Was always curious why.

Gail

Michi8 Contributor

All of those allergy items you listed are connected. I have a similar issue...the allergist called it Oral Allergy Sydrome (OAS). For me, it is all connected to my severe birch pollen allergy. The list of foods that are related is quite long, and does include wheat. For me, I simply cannot tolerate most of the raw versions of the foods (like the tree fruit and nuts), but do fine when they are cooked (except for wheat). Latex is not one of the cross-reactions to birch, but does cross react with other foods. I am allergic to some chemicals used to make latex elastic and some types of lycra/spandex materials, rather than to latex itself.

Check out these web pages for more info:

http://www.acenta.com/allergy.foodallergy.asp

http://www.tdlpathology.com/index.php?opti...&Itemid=228

Michelle

I've just made a discovery... After years of weird cycles of having unbelievable multiple food allergies, going on elimination diets, achieving a state of having good health to a point and overcoming the "food allergies," I believed that I had celiac sprue because I for sure could not tolerate wheat and when I went on a gluten-free diet, all my symptoms vastly improved. I had also fit the profile with all of my other health problems. I was tested for celiac sprue, but since I was on a gluten-free diet for several months prior to these tests, they always came back negative.

Anyways, fast forward to the present. I've been gluten-free for several years now, but my symptoms have turned for the worst and shouldn't they be getting better with a gluten-free diet, eh???? And I am developing all those d*mn food allergies again to the weirdest things, like tomatoes, potatoes, cherries, pears, apples, etc. Then I had an episode of not being able to breathe, had to dial 911, spent a night at the hospital, returned home with an even worse outbreak of hives (I was and still am breaking out in hives everyday), I've discovered that I am severely allergic to latex, and that wheat has a similar protein make-up as latex - therefore, the reason I cannot tolerate wheat. And all these other foods also share the same protein makeup with latex, as well.

So, I just thought I'd send out an FYI. If you are following a gluten-free diet, have never really been confirmed as having celiac sprue, and your symptoms are not getting any better - maybe you have a latex allergy instead.

I would much rather have celiac sprue than a latex allergy. This is plain old crazy - had to throw away all my underwear, socks, anything with spandex, elastic or lycra.... Can it get any worse than this???

Michi8 Contributor
Are ballons related to latex? I can't be around them or I'll have trouble breathing and get choking sensations. Are there any foods related to latex. I was wondering about bananas and avocadoes. If they're not ripe I'll react funny to these foods but seems to be better if they are ripe. Was always curious why.

Gail

Hi Gail,

Yes, latex is related to banana and avocado, so not surprising you react to them. It's also related to chestnut, kiwi, mango, melon, papaya, tomato, fig, etc. For more info, I've included links to cross-reaction charts in my previous post.

Michelle

bluejeangirl Contributor
Hi Gail,

Yes, latex is related to banana and avocado, so not surprising you react to them. It's also related to chestnut, kiwi, mango, melon, papaya, tomato, fig, etc. For more info, I've included links to cross-reaction charts in my previous post.

Michelle

I never really looked into it but I always knew it was somehow related because to Me anyway bananas and avocados taste like how latex smells. I'm not a big fruit fan so I don't eat any of those things except for an occasional tomato.

Thanks Michelle I'm going to look at the links.

Gail

• 7 months later...
gingerbred Newbie

RiceGuy Collaborator

Gail

All the balloons I've ever seen have some sort of powder to keep them from sticking together inside, just like many latex gloves. That's not to say it can't be the latex or rubber or some other stuff, but something to keep in mind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
Swimmy Rookie

This SAME exact thing is happening to me! I started to get really sick last fall/winter and after eliminating gluten felt much better. However, over the summer and within the past two weeks I have started to develop a slew of new allergies to fruits, vegetables, and grains (ex-apples, peaches, potato,quinoa). After a few uncomfortable situations I realized that I have an allergy to latex. I am going to the allergist tomorrow to get tested officially. My question to you, or anyone who has experienced something like this is, will the food allergies get better once the latex is eliminated? I work in a biological laboratory and so am trying to limit my exposure to latex (but is proving difficult) and already feel better mentally however, am wondering how long and if it will take to clear up the food allergies? I am getting so frustrated and discouraged because my mouth, tongue, and lips swell to so many different types of food. And I am getting tired of eating just rice and plain meat. One or two benadryl has been alleviating the swelling. Any tips/advice/suggestions?

Thank you!

Helena Contributor

Am rushing here, so might have missed some of the questions in this thread.

But a latex allergy would not be related to celiac (celiac disease is not an IgE mediated allergy). If wheat proteins are similar in structure to latex proteins, then a wheat allergy could be related to latex allergy. (I've never heard that about wheat, though.)

Balloons (except for latex free balloons) are made from natural rubber latex and can be a major problem for the latex allergic!!

A word of advice to everyone who reacts to latex--it is probably a good idea to go get tested. There are two types of reactions--contact dermatitis and an allergy (the latter is more worrisome). I thought I was reacting to latex, but it took me awhile to get around to asking my allergist about it. He pointed out that "mild" reactions could become more severe when latex comes in contact with mucous membranes or with internal organs (surgery).

I also developed allergies to a number of foods which crossreact with latex at the same time that I developed a latex allergy---tomatoes, potatoes, bananas (but I've always been allergic to bananas), eggplant, pineapple, even tapioca. I don't eat kiwi or papaya just in case. Not everyone with a latex allergy will develop allergies to other things. I think most people who react to other foods react to some of them--not usually to so many.

Unfortunately, reducing contact with latex won't make the other allergies go away. Reactions do vary from time to time, but I haven't read anything suggesting that removing latex will help the other allergies any. (Kind of like how avoiding peanuts won't make peanut allergy go away.)

Those of you with oral allergy syndrome---most folks with OAS are allergic to the raw fruit or veggie but can eat them cooked because that particular protein isn't heat stable (unlike, say, the allergenic proteins in nuts, dairy, etc.) There are exceptions to this rule.

ohsotired Enthusiast
Those of you with oral allergy syndrome---most folks with OAS are allergic to the raw fruit or veggie but can eat them cooked because that particular protein isn't heat stable (unlike, say, the allergenic proteins in nuts, dairy, etc.) There are exceptions to this rule.

Interesting! This is likely why raw bananas (in any form - by themselves, in a smoothie) upset my stomach so badly, but if they've been baked into something they're fine. There are a few other foods that are like this with me, but I can't think of them ATM. Guess I should discuss this with my doctor, huh? :huh:

Helena Contributor

Folks with oral allergy syndrome usually have a localized reaction---tingling throat/lips/mouth. Some people have to carry an epipen for OAS, though.

If raw banana upsets your stomach, I'd wonder if it was a sensitivity/allergy rather than OAS per se. (Of course, I may be wrong on this.) Are you allergic to pollen? I know that folks with a ragweed allergy sometimes develop an OAS type reaction to bananas because the proteins are similar in structure--essentially, the body recognizes banana as 'ragweed' and launches a reaction. But yeah, you might want to talk to your doctor about it, especially since banana is one of those foods that people seem to react to more severely.

ohsotired Enthusiast

I can't say that I've ever had a localized reaction from any foods (knocking on wood) but rather an upset stomach.

Ragweed does bother me, but not to the extent that it bothers some. I get dry, grainy, itchy eyes, and lots of sneezing and congestion. But like I said, I know others have it way worse than me.

So yes, I will be talking to my doc about this, just to see what she thinks.

geokozmo Rookie

Maybe I am too scientific-minded (in this question of mine here now), but i wd like to know (if there is a chemist here the question may be answered) what is the ingredient of "latex" that we react to? We dolknow that in gluten (wheat) there is a protein called gliadin which conatins opiate molecules. Is there some opiate in latex? (Not impossibble, I am just asking.) I am a bit frightened by this, because it seems now that glutenfre eating is not enough I have this cystitis issue banning tomato and many nuts and so evidently I wd like to see more clearly. I will look around on the net to see what latex consits of. But now I must run. tnakx for listening. :rolleyes:

Helena Contributor

ohsotired--it does sound like you have a ragweed allergy...maybe your reaction to bananas is related!

geokozmo-- a latex allergy = an adverse reaction to the proteins in latex. it is unrelated to celiac although people with celiac do have a higher risk of developing autoimmune diseases including allergies.

Swimmy Rookie

I'm reacting to many different foods that I never had a problem with before. It started this summer with many fruits and carrots inducing OAS symptoms (which were confirmed by an allergist later) and lately more like eggplant (really bad reaction to this) and possibly potato. When allergy tested I did not test positive for any of the foods but did react very strongly to tree pollen (specifically BIRCH), weeds, and ragweed, hence my OAS symptoms to almost all fruits and vegetables. Cooking the food helps sometimes. It's been very frustrating and has made my diet plain and filled with mostly rice and lettuce. So, I started to explore with other grains (wheat is out, I react very badly to this...diagnosed with gluten intolerance) like quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, and sorghum. However, I seem to be showing OAS symptoms to these too! They never used to bother me but in the passt week quinoa caused me to have severe swelling and tingling in my mouth and throat and intense nausea. Buckwheat, amaranth, and sorghum produce an uncomfortable tingling in my mouth (lips, tongue, cheeks, gums). So I am at quite a loss as of what to eat besides rice and corn and am afraid of developing allergies to these too! Does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions?

I googled amaranth and sorghum and found that they are both types of weeds. Is it possible that my body is recognizing their proteins as similar to the weeds and ragweed that I am already very allergic to and that hopefully once weed season is over I will be able to eat them?

I'm starting to see an allergist and hopefully a dietitian soon to get some help with this, however it takes a while to get an appointment, so if anyone has experienced this or has any ideas/suggestions/tips, I would be so incredibly grateful! Oh yes, I also appear to be allergic to latex too...:/

Thank you!!

Swimmy Rookie

could it be a gliadin intolerance/allergy? A while back it was suggested to me by my GI that it may be gliadin rather than gluten that I react to...but the reactions to the other grains have not occurred until the past few weeks. Ah, help!!

Helena Contributor
I'm reacting to many different foods that I never had a problem with before. It started this summer with many fruits and carrots inducing OAS symptoms (which were confirmed by an allergist later) and lately more like eggplant (really bad reaction to this) and possibly potato. When allergy tested I did not test positive for any of the foods but did react very strongly to tree pollen (specifically BIRCH), weeds, and ragweed, hence my OAS symptoms to almost all fruits and vegetables. Cooking the food helps sometimes. It's been very frustrating and has made my diet plain and filled with mostly rice and lettuce. So, I started to explore with other grains (wheat is out, I react very badly to this...diagnosed with gluten intolerance) like quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, and sorghum. However, I seem to be showing OAS symptoms to these too! They never used to bother me but in the passt week quinoa caused me to have severe swelling and tingling in my mouth and throat and intense nausea. Buckwheat, amaranth, and sorghum produce an uncomfortable tingling in my mouth (lips, tongue, cheeks, gums). So I am at quite a loss as of what to eat besides rice and corn and am afraid of developing allergies to these too! Does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions?

I googled amaranth and sorghum and found that they are both types of weeds. Is it possible that my body is recognizing their proteins as similar to the weeds and ragweed that I am already very allergic to and that hopefully once weed season is over I will be able to eat them?

I'm starting to see an allergist and hopefully a dietitian soon to get some help with this, however it takes a while to get an appointment, so if anyone has experienced this or has any ideas/suggestions/tips, I would be so incredibly grateful! Oh yes, I also appear to be allergic to latex too...:/

Thank you!!

Swimmy, I react to most foods, and I also have OAS to nearly all fruits and veggies. I also tested positive on allergy tests to *all* pollens I was tested for. The only fruit/veggie that I can eat raw is cranberries. Seriously! I also notice that when I develop an allergy I tend also to develop allergies to cross reactive foods. I wonder if your potato and eggplant allergies are related to your latex allergy . . . I'm pretty sure my potato, eggplant, and latex allergies are related.

The only grain I can eat is rice, but I haven't tried Lame Advertisement or teff yet. I'm officially allergic to corn and react to all the grains you mentioned. So I eat rice pasta/brown rice. In the morning I grind rice up in a coffee grinder (can't have coffee either) and then cook it like porridge. Or if I'm short on time, I just put some succanat/ maple syrup on brown rice and pour milk over it. thank goodness I can have dairy.

It is time consuming, but I made these really good sweet potato pancakes with ground rice/rice flour/maple syrup/succanat/cinnamon/ginger/cloves/nutmeg/salt/butter or safflower oil (I've made them dairy free before for my sister) and mashed sweet potatoes.

Veggies I find are more flavourful (I'm also limited in the spices department) if I stir fry them in olive oil. (Sweet potato fries are delicious and easy with just coarsely ground sea salt, cinnamon, olive oil.)

When you cook your fruits and veggies do you cook them very well i.e. until they are a bit mushy?? I find that I can have a variety of fruits and veggies if they are cooked really, really well. Some I can't---like carrots and celery are iffy. They make my mouth sting even cooked. Veggies which cross react with latex are out as are all legumes. I also seem to react to some leafy veggies....I do eat kale and chard, but I try not to overdo it because sometimes they bother me.

I know that allergists generally consider allergies in the same light as GI docs are supposed to consider celiac...i.e. either you are allergic or not. Once I'm diagnosed with a certain allergy, I'm not supposed to eat it because reactions can be unpredictable, and I'm prone to having anaphylactic reactions to some things. But I find that I go through a period of time when things bother me a little bit . . . and then when I continue to disregard this fact out of desperation, my reactions get worse over time. Once I'm majorly sensitized to something, there isn't any going back. For example---I've reacted to citrus on and off throughout my life. I started to react to citrus again, but I think I was in denial about it because of how limited my diet is. Now I majorly react to citrus, and I test positive for citrus allergy.

So I do think that if you are predisposed to develop an allergy to a certain thing and you are developing a lot of allergies that you can sensitize yourself to something by eating it every single day. Also, I suspect that using skin care products with potentially allergenic substances has caused some issues for me (I'm not sure about this, but that is how I explain my sesame allergy--I tested majorly allergic after using a sesame based skin cream for a period of time.) Stress, I believe, can be a factor.

But I've also heard that if you take a food out of your diet for a prolonged time and then reintroduce it that you are more likely to develop an allergy to it than if you are eating it regularly. (For this reason kids who outgrow a peanut allergy are now advised to try to eat peanuts once in awhile.)

Janessa Rookie

I think I may be allergic to latex also, my doctor just gave me a referral to an allergist to confirm. I am freaked out may have to get rid of half my wardrobe too, what did you do? How do you find underwear that doesn't have elastic? And one article I read said you have to get rid of your remote control with rubber buttons, how do you do that?

bluejeangirl Contributor
Maybe I am too scientific-minded (in this question of mine here now), but i wd like to know (if there is a chemist here the question may be answered) what is the ingredient of "latex" that we react to? We dolknow that in gluten (wheat) there is a protein called gliadin which conatins opiate molecules. Is there some opiate in latex? (Not impossibble, I am just asking.) I am a bit frightened by this, because it seems now that glutenfre eating is not enough I have this cystitis issue banning tomato and many nuts and so evidently I wd like to see more clearly. I will look around on the net to see what latex consits of. But now I must run. tnakx for listening. :rolleyes:

I'm suffering from a rather bad bout with IC and since you mentioned this I'm wondering what foods do you avoid? I do know I get like this every fall. It could be tomatoes but I don't always get it when I eat them. I do eat apples this time of year and make applesauce and pies for the family. So I'm thinking that could be the culprit. I'm also thinking it's the mackintosh apple specifically. I love making applesauce out of them. But I'm in so much pain right now I don't even want to challenge them. :(

Just want to be over this.

Gail

Susi Newbie

Thank you!!

Susi Newbie

I have found out that everything I have been eating has latex in it. I have been on a raw diet since February. Does this mean that I will have to cook everything to make it edible? I can't think of anything to eat that doesn't give me symptoms except durian and mangosteen and pitihaya and they aren't readily available.

My symptoms are itching, Restless leg, plugged ear and ultimately finger fungus. I was feeling really good eating raw but have run out of choices.

Felicidades!

Susi

Susi Newbie
I have found out that everything I have been eating has latex in it. I have been on a raw diet since February. Does this mean that I will have to cook everything to make it edible? I can't think of anything to eat that doesn't give me symptoms except durian and mangosteen and pitihaya and they aren't readily available.

My symptoms are itching, Restless leg, plugged ear and ultimately finger fungus. I was feeling really good eating raw but have run out of choices.

Felicidades!

Susi

• 7 years later...
Nalazoo Newbie

I know this is an older post.  It showed up when I was searching for any tie-in bewteen celiac or gluten intolerance and latex. 

I am highly gluten intolerant - both ingestion or contact.  My celiac blood test was negative (currently undergoing genetic testing).  My primary had me start eating gluten free.  I started feeling better in 3 days and continued improving for over 2 years.  I never had a biopsy.

I had agave syrup one day and had all the same GI reactions as if I had ingested gluten!  Should have dawned on me that I can't tolerate tequila.  Agave and tequila come from the same plant (although may be different subspecies).  I was once scratched by an agave plant and developed a huge welt.  I can only imagine what my insides were doing after ingesting the agave syrup.  I almost purchased a tampico bristle brush to use for dry brushing (for detoxing) and good thing I investigated tampico - it's fibers from the agave leaves.

I've had reactions in the past to latex balloons, latex gloves and latex in adhesives.  About six months ago I had a passionfruit iced tea.  At first, I asked my husband if it had artificial sweetener in it.  No, he said it tasted fine.  A few more sips and my tongue started tingling and my throat started closing.  As soon as I got home I started researching the ingredients.  Passionfruit is highly cross-reactive for latex. 

This raised my awareness and look-out for other latex cross-reactive triggers and more research.  I found the items that triggered my reactions were ones classified as class I chitinase which contained hevein.  Hevein is a lectin that may produce an IgE response in those with latex allergies.

I started researching lectin.  Interestingly, the top 8 food allergens all contain high amounts of lectin.  I came across a report on lectin and how if you've gone on a gluten-free diet but still experience issues, you may want to start looking at lectins as the potential cause.

Keeping a food journal has helped to pinpoint triggers: bananas, legumes, corn, soy, msg, A1 beta-casein and nitrates/nitrites.

I thought I had this all under control.  Then, I started noticing I was getting sick again.  Migraines which had been gone for years were back.  GI issues.  One day I cleaned my ears and there was icky brownish sticky wax...like my ears had been before I started eating gluten free.  Where was I getting cross-contamination from?  My husband and I scoured our pantry and the fridge.  Then it dawned on me, CVS had taken over Target's pharmacy.  I called the pharmacy and found out they did NOT have the information on my gluten or latex allergy!  I've been taking Synthroid for years without problems; however, CVS now stocks it from one of the manufacturers that isn't gluten free.  Then to add to that, this formulation of Synthroid contained acacia.  Acacia is cross-reactive for legumes and has a hevein like protein.

Today I ate some Lays Oven Baked Potato Crisps and ended up with a migraine and being nauseous.  The annatto extract may contain latex.  What's scary is now this is being used in more and more foods as manufacturers move away from synthetic food dyes to "natural."

In between all of this, I saw an allergist/immunologist for why my sinuses were either stuffed or running and my right ear's eustachian tube clogging.  After testing negative to all airborne allergens in my area he said I either have:

• A sinus deformity, polyp or infection (ENT ruled out)
  • Chemical sensitivity
  • Oral food allergy
  • Metabolic issue

Chemical sensitivity seems to be tied to metabolic issues or more specifically the methylation pathyway (how the body takes nutrients ingested and coverts them to the active level cells need).  If you have a vitamin deficiency OR a genetic polymorphism this can occur.

Going forward, I need to really evaluate all foods containing lectin and determine which of these I'm sensitive to. 

Jmg Mentor
6 hours ago, Nalazoo said:

Chemical sensitivity seems to be tied to metabolic issues or more specifically the methylation pathyway (how the body takes nutrients ingested and coverts them to the active level cells need).  If you have a vitamin deficiency OR a genetic polymorphism this can occur.

Hi Nalazoo and welcome!

I found your post fascinating. Thanks for posting it, there's a chance it could help someone else trying to put their own jigsaw together at some point in the future.

For me, I had yet another 'aha' moment when you mentioned ear wax. I used to produce loads of brown wax, after gluten went it did as well. Until today I never made the connection. So thanks for that. 

Best of luck with your ongoing quest. I admire your methodical approach!

Matt

• 4 years later...
CurlyKate Newbie
On 11/20/2007 at 2:49 AM, michelleL said:

I’m the same.. 

Tomatoes peppers chilled potatoes are all Nightshades 

google it as will help you to knew what fruit/veg they are 

hope that helps, but feel your pain x 

fellow latex sufferer x