Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I was just wondering what kind of Vodka everyone here uses?

John and I just bought a new cosmopolitan mix and I needed a vodka.

Any suggestions?

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't drink vodka often, but when I do my preference is Smirnoff. It is made from corn--no gluten-source grains to worry about, even if you don't believe in distillation. ;)

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Thanks Peter,

We ended up getting potato vodka....$30. I kept seeing the wheat grain on labels and so I went with the potato so I could feel a bit safe.

I figured I would get your opinion.

36_22_10[1].gif

Thanks Peter,

We ended up getting potato vodka....$30. I kept seeing the wheat grain on labels and so I went with the potato so I could feel a bit safe.

I figured I would get your opinion.

I'm glad I could help. :)

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I don't drink vodka often, but when I do my preference is Smirnoff. It is made from corn--no gluten-source grains to worry about, even if you don't believe in distillation. ;)

Caution never hurts.... :D

To me its a bit like making a habit of wearing a seat belt.

The chance of any single bottle of grain vodka containing gluten is probably really really small (frankly its impossible to calculate from theory alone but its very very small)

However if you drink outside the house you are sampling quite a few bottles. Presuming your not a problem drinker with a bottle a day then a bottle of Vodka will last quite a while whereas in a bar they can empty that bottle and go onto the next... plus you might have one in one bar and a second somewhere else.

If your the sort of person who likes say 1-2 drinks after ork (and I mean just 1-2) this adds up pretty quickly to potentialy lots and lots of bottles sampled ... say 200 times a year with 2 drinks a day from seperate bottles.. means your potentially drinking from 400 a year..

I never had a car wreck, well one someone ran into me whilst stationary but in the same way its sensible to wear seat belt, not because that one 5 minute trip to the convenience store is likely to be 'the one' but simply because its something we do very often.

I view grain alcohols the same way... I probably drink about what I quoted above .. 1-2 per day, probably 4-5 might a week..

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

I was just wondering what kind of Vodka everyone here uses?.....

I've found it's easy to find a couple of nice potato vodkas around 13-$14 at big stores such as Goody Goodies in Dallas (the best prices in town). Presently, I have a Vikingfjord, from Norway, made with pure glacial water, in a cool bottle. You may have to look at quite a few bottles to find them.

Mostly, I drink Tequilas, which have no gluten of course.

Also, sour mash bourbon whiskys, such as Makers Mark, Jack Daniels, Ezra Brooks, etc. I know, whisky is risky! So far, so good.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Always best to go right to the source...a good russian made vodka, but you'll pay for it.

We drink Smirnov or Polar Ice, and we go through about one 40 every month or so....depending on company dropping in, or the odd night ya need 4 or 5 ceaser's ;)

Never had a problem with either of those two brands.

Ryan

Positive blood work May 06

Positive results with diet change

Caution never hurts.... :D

To me its a bit like making a habit of wearing a seat belt.

The chance of any single bottle of grain vodka containing gluten is probably really really small (frankly its impossible to calculate from theory alone but its very very small)

However if you drink outside the house you are sampling quite a few bottles. Presuming your not a problem drinker with a bottle a day then a bottle of Vodka will last quite a while whereas in a bar they can empty that bottle and go onto the next... plus you might have one in one bar and a second somewhere else.

If your the sort of person who likes say 1-2 drinks after ork (and I mean just 1-2) this adds up pretty quickly to potentialy lots and lots of bottles sampled ... say 200 times a year with 2 drinks a day from seperate bottles.. means your potentially drinking from 400 a year..

I never had a car wreck, well one someone ran into me whilst stationary but in the same way its sensible to wear seat belt, not because that one 5 minute trip to the convenience store is likely to be 'the one' but simply because its something we do very often.

I view grain alcohols the same way... I probably drink about what I quoted above .. 1-2 per day, probably 4-5 might a week..

This is a very good way to look at it. I am not a big drinker, usually weekends only, if that even. So the bottle will probably last quite a bit. I did have about 5 cosmo's last night....it was a cold Saturday evening and we were just sitting around watching movies. :)

36_22_10[1].gif

I was just wondering what kind of Vodka everyone here uses?

John and I just bought a new cosmopolitan mix and I needed a vodka.

Any suggestions?

Yes,,,Belvedere is great although expensive,,,or try potato vodka

Belinda

Recently diagnosed

gluten-free,soy-free,wheat-free,egg-free

and dairy-free

Living in Canada

I like Chopin.

If I want flavored, I use Smirnoff.

John and I have heard rave reviews about Pear flavored vodka, but when I was iffy last night I decided to pass on it until I could be sure. We will be purchasing that next time though.

36_22_10[1].gif

As one that is allergic to brewers yeast, I have to be careful on which ones I drink. Absolute was very helpful in telling me the the gluten and yeast are filter out in the process on how it is made. That being said, I have had my best luck with Grey Goose for not feeling lousy the next day. It is expensive, but I feel I am worth it. Plus, all healthy for us food is expensive. If you are an occasional the expense is worth it. I mix it with a low sugar cranberry juice. That way it is healthy. :) Good luck and enjoy.