• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Joni63

Dr. Christiane Northrup

Rate this topic

Did anyone see her today?

She is all about the women's body and natural ways of healing. I could not believe how very cool is what to listen to someone who actually knew how to take care of so many problems naturally.

She also mentioned that 1 in 4 women have a gluten sensitivity and women over 50 have a hard time digesting grains.

I thought she was fascinating.

Anyone have any of her books?

Did anyone see her today?

She is all about the women's body and natural ways of healing. I could not believe how very cool is what to listen to someone who actually knew how to take care of so many problems naturally.

She also mentioned that 1 in 4 women have a gluten sensitivity and women over 50 have a hard time digesting grains.

I thought she was fascinating.

Anyone have any of her books?

Yeah, I watched her. I learned how to get my lower heart to smile. :rolleyes:

Oprah also talked about the "so many new diets these days" when Dr. Northrup was talking about "wheat is bad for many people." Not impressed with the Big O today.

I saw parts of it. I was all ears when they were talking about thinning hair. She said it was from eating high glycemic foods. I don't eat a lot of sugary foods, like I used to, so that puzzled me, unless it's from the coffee.

I was happy to hear her talk about the gluten and wheat problems. It's good to get the word out.

Yeah, I watched her. I learned how to get my lower heart to smile. :rolleyes:

LOL, That was hilarious!

Oprah also talked about the "new diet of the day" when Dr. Northrup was talking about "wheat is bad for many people." Not impressed with the Big O today.

I thought Oprah was going to say the 'gluten free diet' was the diet of the day, but instead she talked about how 'whole grains' are being pushed in the past few years.

I saw part of the show--when they said they would be answering a woman's questions about gas and burping, I had to pay attention to see if they would mention food intolerance...

I was impressed with Dr. Northrup, but when she talked about wheat and gluten intolerance, Oprah just sat there and didn't say anything or ask any questions--even when the doctor said that 1 in 4 women have a gluten intolerance. She just sat there, and basically told the woman who asked the question that she could just take the digestive enzymes (that were previously mentioned).

The doctor then reinerated what she said about grains, and still Oprah didn't look the least bit interested. <_<

That was my take, anyway.

Gluten intolerance is so foreign to people. I remember the first time I heard it, and I knew it didn't have any bearing on me or my health problems. It's something that just happens to someone else. Oprah probably feels the same way.

I saw part of the show--when they said they would be answering a woman's questions about gas and burping, I had to pay attention to see if they would mention food intolerance...

I was impressed with Dr. Northrup, but when she talked about wheat and gluten intolerance, Oprah just sat there and didn't say anything or ask any questions--even when the doctor said that 1 in 4 women have a gluten intolerance. She just sat there, and basically told the woman who asked the question that she could just take the digestive enzymes (that were previously mentioned).

The doctor then reinerated what she said about grains, and still Oprah didn't look the least bit interested. <_<

That was my take, anyway.

Gluten intolerance is so foreign to people. I remember the first time I heard it, and I knew it didn't have any bearing on me or my health problems. It's something that just happens to someone else. Oprah probably feels the same way.

I felt the same way as haylay3 does. I honestly think it was over her head and she had no idea at all about gluten intolerance. I thought Dr. Northrup was doing a good job trying to bring it up and talk about it though.

True enough--I had no idea what any of this was before, either.

I am still disappointed in Oprah today, though. From where I was sitting, she was interested and animated about everythig discussed except this.

I am still disappointed in Oprah today, though. From where I was sitting, she was interested and animated about everythig discussed except this.

It did seem to appear that way.

I wish i had seen this, it sounded like it was good.

Oprah is just odd, she is the same way with dr oz. most of the time, i dont think she likes when there are people on there that are smarter then her lol.

paula

It did seem to appear that way.

Maybe it is cause she is in denial about herself, im sure she has it cause look she has always been up and down on her weight and her thyroid condition.

paula

I can understand this. How many of you wish that "gluten" had a different name. I always felt that being "gluten intolerant" sounded like you had an allergy to glue. That's why people look at you so oddly.

I think we need to come up with another name for gluten. Any thoughts? B)

Oprah is just odd, she is the same way with dr oz. most of the time, i dont think she likes when there are people on there that are smarter then her lol.

hm, i'm guessing this is true :D

I saw it today and was very impressed with Dr. Northrup.

I was happy that most of what she said we needed to be doing i was doing or taking now b/c of our disease. She was so well informed on so many issues............mentioning the 1-4 statistic was great but them saying .........if i heard it right..............go off all wheat for a week and see how you feel and then start adding it back................was unsettling but it wasn't as show on celiac and the show was good but that part.

no Queen Oprah, is another story...........heck.........Jenny McCarthy had been on discussing autism and the gluten and dairy free diet............but Oprah sat there with the look of :blink::huh: LIKE SHE'S NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT.................PLEEEEEEAASSSEEEEEEE................... B)

I've had one of her books since it first came out, it's very good. What is funny, tho, is that since that photo of her was done on the cover she's obviously had some work done and her hair is lighter and she looks "younger" which is sort of funny.

She (Dr Northrup, I don't know what planet Oprah is on with this topic) is spot- on with her observations about carbohydrates from grains being less tolerated as women get older, and what she probably meant was that people who are having digestive problems and try going off of wheat for a time and then try adding it back in, if the symptoms return, then you've shown to yourself that wheat does effect how you feel. So then you will be much more motivated to change your diet than somebody who hasn't done that.

People who haven't been miserable, and then totally stopped eating it for long enough to make a difference, just don't have a clue. And there is also a denial factor, some people recognize subconsciously they feel bad when they eat a lot of breading or gravy or drink beer, but they also just cannot fathom giving up those things.

Plus not all wheat intolerance or gluten intolerance is the same as carbohydrate intolerance, we see that here, with some of us able to eat some grain products in moderation and some of us can't eat grain and other things like soy or potatoes. But this doesn't mean the rest of the world is gluten intolerant... it just means there is a larger percentage of the undiagnosed wandering around in the wilderness being told by the medical profession they have "IBS" or "fibro" or IAIYH than should be acceptable... there should be more doctors who recognize the many symptoms of gluten intolerance and be willing to mention it to patients. Also it would be nice if very well known people like Oprah didn't act befuddled when it's a predominantly WOMEN'S health issue. (sorry, guys, I know you're out there). If she got waylaid down that low for days by a single meal containing a single hidden food ingredient you can bet we'd be hearing about it.

People who haven't been miserable, and then totally stopped eating it for long enough to make a difference, just don't have a clue. And there is also a denial factor, some people recognize subconsciously they feel bad when they eat a lot of breading or gravy or drink beer, but they also just cannot fathom giving up those things.

That is so true. I think the problems have to be severe or uncomfortable enough that the person really wants to find the answer. It's very hard to imagine changing your lifestyle so drastically, when you first hear the idea.

I saw only part of the show but I did happen to see the part where they were talking about gluten intolerance. I didn't like Oprah just sitting there but I also didn't think the doctor did Celiac or gluten intolerance any help.

She said, (not an exact quote) that if you have trouble with gas and burping take grains out of your diet for a few days ... if you feel better then you probably have a gluten intolerance. I really felt this did a huge disservice to people that may have undiagnosed celiac. Because with that advice they are going to remove bread, pasta, cake, cookies and they will still be eating tons of wheat and gluten because no one mention how it hides in so many foods.

So a lot of people who have GI disturbances may in fact follow her advice and try going off grains as best the can for a "few days" and of course they won't see any improvement and so they will think that its NOT the wheat.

She could have at least mentioned a few web sites or the name Celiac disease so people could google it. I was really disappointed watching the show.

Susan

Perhaps she is starting to realize she may be one of the one in four, I think lots of folks zone out on celiac and gluten intolerance because they are afraid it hits to close to home. Can we all say denial :D

Well, IMO, I think they really had to tiptoe around the wheat topic. They figured they would be murdered if Dr Northrup got on there and said don't eat wheat or gluten after the campaign to eat whole grains is on every commercial. I feel that someone discussed it with Oprah and that's why she brought up the many kinds of diets comment. Oprah definitely is having some health issues and that's why she brought Dr Northrup on her show. The bags under her eyes are really puffy and boy can I relate to that. Maybe the more Oprah learns, the more of these topics she will have on her show.

Perhaps she is starting to realize she may be one of the one in four, I think lots of folks zone out on celiac and gluten intolerance because they are afraid it hits to close to home. Can we all say denial :D

You may have hit the nail right on the head! ;):D

I have to say, I haven't watched Oprah in a long time and your right she really didn't look well.

The show also covered a myriad of topics for only 1 hour of time. It would have been nice if they were able to spend more time on each, but of course I think most of only want to hear about the ones that are affecting us.

I wish more Doctors took the same approach as Dr. Northrup and had the knowledge she does. I truly believe so many problems could be alleviated, without drugs.

I also wonder how much of the show has to be filtered everytime I see something on t.v.

I'm happy to see this type of information on mainstream television. Oprah did seem disinterested in talking about gluten, and I think ravenwoodglass might be correct that Oprah may be realizing she might have a problem with gluten. Oprah does not seem to be type who would embrace gluten free eating. IMHO that's probably why she seemed so callous about the whole issue.

OMgosh, I watched some of this show, but I must have missed the part where they were talking about gluten and grain intolerance.

My thinking with Oprah is that she is so indoctrinated with her trainer Bob Green's philosophies (eating a well rounded diet with whole grains and good carbs) that when it comes to diet/eating plans she tunes a lot of that out and doesn't give anything else much value.

She is always on a diet and focusing on her weight, and at one time she did try the Atkins diet, or other similar no/low carb eating plans, where grains were cut out.

When you get to talking about grains, or taking them out of your diet, with most people that's what they identify them with- an Atkins type diet and/or a "fad" diet.