Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoriG

I Found The Best Flour Blend!

I am just so pleased to have found this flour, which was recommended by my doctor of all places :) Anyway, I made their pizza crust and it was just like the real thing. Then I decided to try out plain old fashioned recipes like the Hershey's Brownie one and the chocolate chip cookie one. All I did was take the recipe and substitute the Tom Sawyer's blend in there. Of course I substituted Earth Balance butter because I'm dairy free and used the Enjoy Life chocolate chips. You cannot tell the difference! They taste just like the real thing! So check it out if you are interested - thought I'd tell you all.

Years of symptoms: depression, chronic fatigue, insomnia, irritability, constipation

Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid 2001

Had to go into alternative medicine to get answers

Positive enterolab results 10/07

Gluten free 8/07

Dairy free 10/07

Adrenal fatigue

Still not all that well - looking at other foods intolerances

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am just so pleased to have found this flour, which was recommended by my doctor of all places :) Anyway, I made their pizza crust and it was just like the real thing. Then I decided to try out plain old fashioned recipes like the Hershey's Brownie one and the chocolate chip cookie one. All I did was take the recipe and substitute the Tom Sawyer's blend in there. Of course I substituted Earth Balance butter because I'm dairy free and used the Enjoy Life chocolate chips. You cannot tell the difference! They taste just like the real thing! So check it out if you are interested - thought I'd tell you all.

Oops! I forgot to give you the website!!! :rolleyes: Here it is: http://www.glutenfreeflour.com/index.asp

Years of symptoms: depression, chronic fatigue, insomnia, irritability, constipation

Gluten free 8/07

Dairy free 10/07

Adrenal fatigue

I have been searching for a good all purpose flour mix....maybe this is it! Thanks so much, I never would have known. It would be great to be able to use all my old cookbooks again.

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered a bunch. I already like the place since they dont charge extra to ship to Hawaii!

Oops! I forgot to give you the website!!! :rolleyes: Here it is: http://www.glutenfreeflour.com/index.asp

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

You are all welcome! I hope you like it! Last night we had company over and no one knew the chocolate chip cookies were gluten-free! I love when that happens! Happy Baking!

Gluten free 8/07

Dairy free 10/07

Adrenal fatigue

You are all welcome! I hope you like it! Last night we had company over and no one knew the chocolate chip cookies were gluten-free! I love when that happens! Happy Baking!

Lori-

Which chocolate chip recipe did you use? I used to make Tollhouse because it was my DH's favorite. I'd be thrilled if I could make those again!

Thanks!

Kelly

Hubby diagnosed 4/06 by scope/biopsy.

Lori-

Which chocolate chip recipe did you use? I used to make Tollhouse because it was my DH's favorite. I'd be thrilled if I could make those again!

Thanks!

Sorry it took me awhile to reply. I just googled Hershey's Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe and used that one. Tasted just like the real thing!

Gluten free 8/07

Dairy free 10/07

Adrenal fatigue

I think it's sad that they are taking advantage of people because the cost is outrageous.

$19.00 for a 5 lb bag! :(

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.  Not diagnosed as celiac.

I think it's sad that they are taking advantage of people because the cost is outrageous.

$19.00 for a 5 lb bag! :(

According to their website, the ingredients are "a blended flour of rice and tapioca flours, xanthan gum, and unflavored gelatin". Probably white rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, and unflavored gelatin. Pretty simple, basic flour blend.

Unflavored gelatin is sold at any grocery store, made by Knox, four little envelopes per box, about $1.50. I add an envelope to my baked goods.

Everything gluten-free is expensive because of the very limited production and sales. There's nothing sinister about it.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

I made tollhouse chocolate chip cookies last week using Bette Hagmans flour blend, my mother ate 3 cookies, said they were the best she's had, then I told her they were gluten-free..she had no idea!

I also made brownies using the same flour blend, awesome, can't tell they are gluten-free.

Its a whole lot cheaper to make up the mix yourself, I agree with hayley...Its crazy what they charge for these "basic" flour blends.

~Betty

I didn't say there was anything sinister about it larrymac.

My whole point is that the ingredients are a "pretty, simple, basic flour blend" and they are charging an outrageous amount for it.

Normally cost per unit is based on a variety of factors, such as overhead, labor, profit margin, and costs of goods received. Supply and demand, increases or decreases that cost. White rice flour and tapioca starch are cheap. A grain mill is not that expensive. I think that their profit margin must be way high.

According to their website, the ingredients are "a blended flour of rice and tapioca flours, xanthan gum, and unflavored gelatin". Probably white rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, and unflavored gelatin. Pretty simple, basic flour blend.

Unflavored gelatin is sold at any grocery store, made by Knox, four little envelopes per box, about $1.50. I add an envelope to my baked goods.

Everything gluten-free is expensive because of the very limited production and sales. There's nothing sinister about it.

best regards, lm

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.  Not diagnosed as celiac.

I didn't say there was anything sinister about it larrymac.

Sorry. ^_^

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa