This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Bread Allergy?

gluten15

gluten15 Apprentice

Ok..even though I am on a pretty strict diet..I picked up some Gluten Free Bread to keep in the freezer. I am new still to all of this and just wanted to have something a little heavier on hand and I was curious to try it.

With so many things going on for so long and being so new to all of this..I am aware that it will take a long to get everything sorted out..especially when there's so many stymptoms. So I will just deal with each one thing as it comes up.

I ate a piece of the bread toasted and still got the flem in my throat. I always blamed it more on the wheat bread than my allergies..hoping it was that.

So..I am just wondering a couple of things from anyone who may experience or has experienced this in the past.

As I work my way through determining and elimination..most likely it's something in the bread that I have an allergy too? There is no dairy in the bread..and that is usually one of the first things that will give me the flem.

Or is natural sometimes for anyone to get 'flem' in the throat after eating something? Maybe some things just do this?

There's not that many ingredients in the bread..so if this flem thing isn't natural and usually lead to allergy..this could be a good thing in helping me with elimination of foods.

Thanks again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

greendog Apprentice
Ok..even though I am on a pretty strict diet..I picked up some Gluten Free Bread to keep in the freezer. I am new still to all of this and just wanted to have something a little heavier on hand and I was curious to try it.

With so many things going on for so long and being so new to all of this..I am aware that it will take a long to get everything sorted out..especially when there's so many stymptoms. So I will just deal with each one thing as it comes up.

I ate a piece of the bread toasted and still got the flem in my throat. I always blamed it more on the wheat bread than my allergies..hoping it was that.

So..I am just wondering a couple of things from anyone who may experience or has experienced this in the past.

As I work my way through determining and elimination..most likely it's something in the bread that I have an allergy too? There is no dairy in the bread..and that is usually one of the first things that will give me the flem.

Or is natural sometimes for anyone to get 'flem' in the throat after eating something? Maybe some things just do this?

There's not that many ingredients in the bread..so if this flem thing isn't natural and usually lead to allergy..this could be a good thing in helping me with elimination of foods.

Thanks again.

Mom23boys Contributor

Yeast?

dbmamaz Explorer

Yeah, I was going to say, i thought I might be celiac, but when I went to get allergy testing, I reacted to wheat, barley, malt and yeast. Well, I actually reacted to all but about 6 foods he tested me for .. . i'm on a great elimination diet right now, I'm eating the 18 foods I think are safest . .. . but i'm still having trouble breathing ...

gluten15 Apprentice
Yeast?

Yep, it has yeast in it..would I shouldn't be having anyway if I am on Candida diet? Correct? Or are we talking about two different kind of yeast here. Don't laugh at me..lol..

If we are talking the same thing..once I get this Candida under control..I may be able to tolerate yeast or is that just maybe a whole different thing I may just be allergic to and nothing to do with the Candida?

I missed the yeast in it when I was looking around the grocery store for things I might want to keep around..I am learning right now there can't even be having something around for once in awhile..but if I don't try..I will never know.

So we could be talking a yeast allergy then?

Thanks again.

gluten15 Apprentice
Yeah, I was going to say, i thought I might be celiac, but when I went to get allergy testing, I reacted to wheat, barley, malt and yeast. Well, I actually reacted to all but about 6 foods he tested me for .. . i'm on a great elimination diet right now, I'm eating the 18 foods I think are safest . .. . but i'm still having trouble breathing ...

When you talk about having trouble breathing..is it to where it's scary or just that you feel like you breathe sort of shallow..like lungs are tight.

It's hard for me to tell and break everything down on it's own. I also have mild asthma..but I react to campfire smoke bad too. I have always coughed after exercising..but just very little. Sometimes as far as environmental reactions it's hard to know if I am reacting because of my allergies or asthma.

I have sinus trouble to that overlaps with the allergies..but I am beginning to believe that all of these are intertwined and only I can make better by elimination.

katifer Apprentice

yeast, gluten, soy, sulfites and casein make my chest ache --not like anaphalatic shock or anything--but its very uncomfortable and hard to breath. My baby and i are off gluten, dairy, soy, sugar, yeast and sulfites--what a HUGE difference!! We eat rice wraps, and gluten-free<CF< Yeast free bread from Food for Life...most health food stores have it-- sulfites really helped eliminating. we have celiac but obviously our immune systems are shot and need a rest---we just found out about celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast
Yep, it has yeast in it..would I shouldn't be having anyway if I am on Candida diet? Correct? Or are we talking about two different kind of yeast here. Don't laugh at me..lol..

If we are talking the same thing..once I get this Candida under control..I may be able to tolerate yeast or is that just maybe a whole different thing I may just be allergic to and nothing to do with the Candida?

I missed the yeast in it when I was looking around the grocery store for things I might want to keep around..I am learning right now there can't even be having something around for once in awhile..but if I don't try..I will never know.

So we could be talking a yeast allergy then?

Thanks again.

Could be a yeast allergy, or an allergy/intolerance to other ingredients in the bread. I get hlegm in my throat from the gluten-free breads also and I have many food intolerances.

If you are on a candida diet yeast as an ingredient is generally a no-no. I think there are some gluten-free breads out there that are also yeast-free but I can't recall what brands.

You might do better with things in their most natural state, like brown rice or another non gluten grain like millet.

Juliebove Rising Star

Just a thought, but... Did you buy a new toaster so that the toaster would be free of gluten? If you were using the same toaster as you always did, you could have glutened yourself from it.

AliB Enthusiast

Could just be carbs in general - one of the first things I bought was some gluten-free rolls. I ended up with an allergic reaction to something in them and had to throw them away (they were pretty disgusting anyway!).

I have made some gluten-free cakes and waffles and things but every time I eat some I get some sort of reaction (although I made an SCD compliant Almond Apple and Raisin cake with no flour or sugar, just almond flour and honey and have been fine with that)

I have now just started the Specific Carb Diet which eliminates virtually all complex carbs to see if that will help. I have known for years that I have a problem with carbs and the 2 times I went low-carb over the years I was always a lot better, but I think if I can eliminate the complex ones and just stick to simple ones (mono saccharides like in honey and ripe fruits) I will be even better and will starve out the little Candida beasties into the bargain.

I suspect in a way, that for those who do not get better from just eliminating gluten and dairy, they are very likely to have a problem like me with carbs per se. Some do not generate the enzymes needed to break down the di- and poly-saccharide carbs like sugar, dairy, grains and starches. Because the carbs cannot be processed properly by the body they end up being food for the beasties, who generate a lot of gas and acids which in turn breaks down the gut lining.

This is so interesting. I am fascinated to see how I get on myself with the SCD.

babysteps Contributor

agree w/toaster comment

did you put anything on the bread? do you know that whatever topping you used is okay with you (eg have had the topping w/o bread & been fine?) Or the topping could have cc (did anyone else in household use on gluten bread or together w/butter and not use separate spreaders, etc). Good luck solving!

Archived