Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oceangirl

Fritos Be Gone

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update those who were so kind to help try to discern the culprit in my recent ill-health. After taking the Fritos out last week I feel leagues better. I am not able to report being asymptomatic but feel very much better. Was it the Fritos or a virus? I don't know. But I won't be eating any Lay's products now.

I did just find some UTZ corn chips, dedicated gluten-free with only corn and salt. I haven't dared to try one because all symptoms have not resolved but I have a little hope for the future. Currently I'm back to the old modified Paleo. ( some raw sugar and occasional cheese...)

Thank you Patti , Phyllis, Gluten 15, Yolo, Momma Goose, Rachel and... Oh, God, I feel like I'm making an acceptance speech at the Oscars... ALL who contributed advice!

Good health to All!

lisa

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Lisa,

I'm delighted to hear that you're doing better :D

I don't want to be a pain in the you-know-what, but are you sure that the Utz chips are made on dedicated lines? The reason I ask is that I was glutened pretty badly by Utz potato chips a while back.

The bag read "gluten-free", but their website stated that they were made on shared lines that were washed in between--but that they couldn't guarantee there wouldn't be a "slight residue" .......

I tried to email them, but they never answered me.

Hopefully things are different for the corn chips and everything's fine :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Patti,

Ugh. That's just what I figured would happen. Well, maybe I could figure out how to make a corn chip or corn tortilla myself- but where to find the safe ingredients? Hmm.....

Thanks so much, Patti. I hope you are doing very well.

lisa

Join eNewsletter

Patti,

Ugh. That's just what I figured would happen. Well, maybe I could figure out how to make a corn chip or corn tortilla myself- but where to find the safe ingredients? Hmm.....

Thanks so much, Patti. I hope you are doing very well.

lisa

Can you eat popcorn, Lisa? I make my own with light olive oil and sea salt on the stove. It's become my favorite snack :D Plus, it has a good amount of fiber.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

You could also take gluten-free corn tortillas (mission are definitely safe) and bake them in the oven till they're crispy :) it's yummy and a lot lower fat than fried corn chips, if you need the salt fix you can spray them with butter spray (I even use cooking spray, pam is fine) and add your own

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

I am so glad you are feeling better.

I never could do Fritos anyway. The type of processed oil made me feel yucky.

I have been trying to reintroduce corn once in awhile when I really need a snack. I keep the two things below around when I really need a snack so I don't go for something I shouldn't have.

I like Garden Of Eden corn chips. They are on sale a lot at my store.

I also like Black Jewel popcorn popped in organic extra virgin first cold pressed coconut oil with a bit of sea salt. Sometimes I sprinkle with a bit of Bragg's Organic apple cider vinegar 'with the mother'

I actually just got done downing a hot cup of water with a couple tsp of the vinegar in it.

Again, so glad to hear you are doing better!

Join eNewsletter

I used to eat Fritos, but am also giving them up, the occasional stomach ache is not pleasant. It is just my guess but I think they are cross contaminated with soy beans or barley, because I get a different reaction to each & my frito reaction is not a wheat one. Or either they are spraying the corn with something that has one of those ingredients in them... Something definitely changed in the way they make fritos. It really was, I think, the last food that was the same as it was 50 years ago. As far as my taste remembered it anyway. I used to split a coke (5 cents) & a bag of fritos (5 cents) with my grandmother when we would go to town once every two weeks. Of course we never had cokes or fritos at our house in the country.

I eat Mission Brand corn chips with no problem. I also make my own corn chips from Mission Brand White Corn Tortillas. I do not worry about fat, so I just cut them into fourths & fry them in oil. Good fat is good for us, despite what we have been led to believe. It is the high fructose corn syrup and sugar and processed grains (white flour) that is causing most of the heart disease...(read "Good Calories Bad calories"...)

I also eat coconut oil, coconut milk and real butter.

To continue off topic :) A Hershey bar tastes nothing like it used to 50 years ago. they have changed the Hershey bar so many times that it has no resemblance to what it used to taste like. I also cannot eat them anymore. But I can eat See's candies and most are gluten-free. Just not dairy free or corn syrup free - but nice for a treat now & then...

If anyone can eat rice I highly recommend Lundberg rice Chips, I lived on those things when I first went gluten-free...

Join eNewsletter

To continue off topic :) A Hershey bar tastes nothing like it used to 50 years ago. they have changed the Hershey bar so many times that it has no resemblance to what it used to taste like.

I thought I noticed this difference and I thought it was my imagination.... <_<

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

Hi,

Thanks, everyone! Great corn chip advice; I may try one of those one day. Patti, I can't eat popcorn because it's very rough on the old intestines- at least I've always seemed to get an IBSish reaction from it. But I haven't had it in years. I wish I could. I also can't eat rice in it's regular form. It has to be softened up like in the Tinkyada or gluten-free pantry flour- weird.

Yeah, our food supply ain't what it used to be,huh? Yikes. I don't worry about calories either- I think I could actually use a few more...

What kind of coconut oil is safe? Just when I was working up to trying a Hershey bar one day... sigh.....

Take care everyone,

lisa

Join eNewsletter

To continue off topic :) A Hershey bar tastes nothing like it used to 50 years ago. they have changed the Hershey bar so many times that it has no resemblance to what it used to taste like. I also cannot eat them anymore.

I thought I noticed this difference and I thought it was my imagination.... <_<

Since they started making the chocolate in Mexico nothing tastes the same...the kisses are horrible!!!! Everyone in Hershey is in an uproar about it.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

I like these two below the best. Everyone should be reading up about coconut oil and using it for so many things. If it's processed..or unprocessed..correctly..wonderful stuff. It got a bad rap years ago when it started to get processed wrong.

http://www.Lame Advertisement.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c...d=4716&at=0

http://www.Lame Advertisement.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c...d=7090&at=0

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter