Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stolly

Your Favorite Cake Recipe

DD will turn 3 in August, her first birthday since being diagnosed in March. What is your favorite chocolate or vanilla cake recipe? I've tried a few mixes and so far like Pamela's Chocolate Cake Mix the best, but I'd like to make her cake from scratch if there is a great recipe out there. Let me know if there is a special icing recipe you use, too. Thank you!!

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You might do a search as this has been asked before and there is a couple of good threads already.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

This is my son's favorite - he's all about chocolate. Bette Hagman's recipe.

Featherlight Chocolate Cake

1 3/4 cup featherlight flour mix

1/2 tsp Xanthan gum

2 cups sugar

3/4 cup cocoa

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

1 cup sour cream

1 cup boiling water

beat eggs, add sour cream and vanilla

beat in dry ingredients

slowly add boiling water and mix well

bake at 350 F, done when toothpick comes out clean.

9 x 13 pan -- 35-40 minutes

13 x 18 pan -- 17-20 minutes

9 inch rounds - about 25 minutes

cupcakes - about 20 minutes

Featherlight flour mix:

1 cup white rice flour

1 cup tapioca flour

1 cup corn starch

1 tbsp potato flour (not starch), but I have omitted this when I did not have on hand.

For his last birthday, I made layers so there would be extra icing (I use store-bought) and then arranged plain M&Ms on the top. He and his friends loved it!

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

DD will turn 3 in August, her first birthday since being diagnosed in March. What is your favorite chocolate or vanilla cake recipe? I've tried a few mixes and so far like Pamela's Chocolate Cake Mix the best, but I'd like to make her cake from scratch if there is a great recipe out there. Let me know if there is a special icing recipe you use, too. Thank you!!

I like the Pamela's too, otherwise I like the recipe on the side of the Hershey's cocoa powder box, and I sub in the mixture I emailed you yesterday--plus xanthan gum. Another idea we did last year and it was a HUGE hit was an ice cream sundae party. I let my dd go to the store with me and pick out all the toppings and candies, we put them all out in little bowls on a small table and all the kids got to make their own. She wants to do it again this year!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

How about lemon, lime, raspberry, or pineapple?

For frosting, it's gotta be coconut, or lemon or lime would be good too.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Thanks for your suggestions! I did a search, but also wanted to start a new thread because you never know when someone has tried a new great recipe but hasn't posted about it. I guess I'm searching for the best for my DD!! She is still pretty slow to try new things, so I'm going to stick with chocolate or vanilla for her birthday because she definitely likes them. Thanks again!

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Go to recipezaar #209764. It's called One Bowl gluten free Chocolate cake. I made it once. It's moist and good. You could add choc or pb chips. Alot of people commented on it so be sure to read those too. You can make cupcakes. My notes say to bake them 18 mins and it makes 12 cupcakes.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Thanks for the gluten free one bowl cake. I made it this afternoon and my non-celiac kids declared it a hit. Said if they didn't know, there is no way they could tell. They called it a 'brownie' cake, cause the dense texture of it reminded them of brownies.

I used the Bob's red mill all purpose flour.

Sue

positive Biopsy diagnosis May 2008

allergic to strawberries and grapes

Mom to peanut allergy kid.

Thanks for the gluten free one bowl cake. I made it this afternoon and my non-celiac kids declared it a hit. Said if they didn't know, there is no way they could tell. They called it a 'brownie' cake, cause the dense texture of it reminded them of brownies.

I used the Bob's red mill all purpose flour.

You are welcome. Here is another wonderful cake: recipezaar#174346 It's an apple cake. I used 1/4 cup each of white rice, brown rice and sorghum flours to add protein and fiber. It turned out soooo tastey.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

The absolute best gluten-free chocolate cake from scratch I have ever made is this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gluten-Free-C...ing/Detail.aspx. I just made it yesterday, in fact, and served it to a whole house full of gluten eaters, and there was not a crumb left. Several people came back for seconds, and were disappointed that there were none. ;)

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

This is my favorite chocolate cake ever! I've made it several times, and it rocks! I made Black Forest Chocolate Cake with this as the base for my birthday last fall. I brought it to work, and everyone had seconds! The cake by itself though is great, really moist and flavorful!

http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/recipes_de.../#chocolatecake

(to see pics of the cake I made for my b-day, you can visit my blog).

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

The absolute best gluten-free chocolate cake from scratch I have ever made is this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gluten-Free-C...ing/Detail.aspx.

That looks really good.

I'm always looking for recipes to use extra egg yolks (leftover from bread and pizza).

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

As a mom to two little girls who attend a LOT of birthday parties, I can attest that the Glutino Chocolate Cake Mix is the very best one I've ever eaten. Even my gluten-eating husband (who is very very picky) loves it.

I've seen two different packags of Glutino chocolate cake mix. The GOOD ONE is the one that has a picture of a chocolate cake on the front (as opposed to the plain white box version). Beware, the box only makes one 9" layer so you'll need two boxes to make a two-layer cake.

Trust me, this cake mix is worth the money and even at $5/box it's still cheaper than a grocery store cake.

mamatide