This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tingling In Feet

milelj

milelj Rookie

Did anyone have tingling/numbness in thier feet before being diagnosed with Celiac Disease? That's another symptom I'm having. It's not constant and doesn't last long, it comes and goes. I did read on one website that tingling/numbness in the legs or arms is a symptom of celiac disease, but haven't really seen anyone mention it. Did anyone on here have this symptom?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Yes, I had tingling in my lower legs and feet as well as a burning sensation on the bottom of my feet and in my mouth.

I also had the tingling and numbness in my left arm--along with an altered sensation, and my face. It took a while after going gluten-free for this to completely resolve but it finally did. The facial numbness took probably 2 years to stop--and even then I still get a bit of it when having a gluten reaction.

Quite a few people here have or have had this symptom (it's called peripheral neuropathy). It's another pretty common stmptom of Celiac--especially in adults.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Add me to the tingles list. It started off and on in my toes and pinkies. Then as it got more constant, it spread up my feet, fingers, palms, elbows, and the backs of my knees. My tongue tip also went through spurts of numbness. I'm only 10 weeks gluten-free and waiting for symptoms to subside. It has gotten a little better. I had the burning from my tush to my toes almost constantly and my shoulder to fingertips if I raised my elbows past my chest for long periods. I also got fasciculations (quick muscle contractions) all throughout my body. They got worse and worse the longer I went undiagnosed. They are letting up some now. If you are suspecting Celiac, go get tested. It is easier than waiting to see how sick you might get.

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I have had Reynaud's syndrome for years-starts with a tingling in feet and then the blood flow is gone, white & numbness. I also get it in my fingers. However, the longer I am gluten-free, the better it gets. I am 8 months now.

I don't have a link for Reynaud's, but it is easy to google. I guess it is well documented.

curlyfries Contributor

I just went to the chiropractor today........I go every week.

Had to focus on the numbness/tingling in my foot and toes.

I haven't had this problem in some time, but I think mine is more of a muscle issue.( I have fibromyalgia) Several of the muscles in my leg and hip are extremely tight.

Nothing like a good butt massage :D

Before going gluten free, I also would have tingling in my fingers when I would cough or sneeze. :huh:

ang1e0251 Contributor

I certainly did have numbness and tingling in my feet, along with seeping and sometimes infected large toenail. That has all cleared up in the past year. This summer I had the worst glutening so far & both toes infected again after being healed. One healed right away, one just finally healed this week. When I described it to my GP, he laughed about the feet symptom. I'm angry at him but he's a family friend so I'll just let him have it next time I have to see him. He really knows very little about celiac disease.

Those symptoms really do improve or go away on the gluten-free diet so hang in there. Your list sounds a lot like mine before the diet. I also can't really handle much of the processed foods. Simple homecooked is best for me.

• 3 years later...
poetry4me Newbie

Did anyone have tingling/numbness in thier feet before being diagnosed with Celiac Disease? That's another symptom I'm having. It's not constant and doesn't last long, it comes and goes. I did read on one website that tingling/numbness in the legs or arms is a symptom of celiac disease, but haven't really seen anyone mention it. Did anyone on here have this symptom?

Hi,

This is my first time ever posting on this site. I am a self-diagnosed Celiac. I went gluten-free about three months ago. The last time I accidentally got glutened was about a month and a half ago, and it was a doozy. I was sick for two weeks straight. Before going gluten free, I was sick non stop for over a year. I thought I was dying. I had been pretty healthy before this time period (except for stomach aches and other issues since childhood). During this year my skin would burn, twitch, tingle, go numb...my muscles would spasm and cramp up. I ate primarily organic and mostly vegetarian, worked out...until of course I was so weak I could not walk. I went to every doctor imaginable. They tested me for everything except gluten intolerance. I did find out from being hospitalized that I had pretty bad hypothyroidism. I'm twenty eight years old by the way, with extremely healthy and athletic parents.

So, in response to this four-year-old post here, I want to add that my tingles have not gone away yet. They are better but they are still present in my calves and ankles, sometimes my arms.

Because my insurance ran out several months ago, I have not had the official tests done. I'm aware that now that I am gluten-free, the blood tests would not be accurate unless I eat copious amounts of gluten in preparation. I think that I would die from that, truly. I nearly was hospitalized from a soba-wheat noodle not too long ago.

Since going gluten free, I am walking perfectly fine and my intestines are finally healing. I finally have energy and don't wake up twenty times a night with pains and bile in my throat. But the tingles and leg cramping come and go.

It's great to have this community here. I would love to hear others stories.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for sharing.

I wish everyone the very best.

Lauren~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived