Becci

Way To Cure Celiac?

Rate this topic

Was told by a homeopathic doctor to help Celiac disease: Was told this would actually heal celiac. (kind of doubting this though) Said candida causes a lot of stuff? Can cause celiac.

Stop eating meat all together. Turkey is especially bad. No chicken ever.

:( I hate this

Need to eat cabbage :( not so crazy about this either. I dislike cabbage alot.

No sugar

No starch

No rice

No dairy

((so everything we can eat on a gluten-free diet???))

No fruit

Only eat brown rice, veggies, and beans?

((Anyone believe this will actually work??))

I totally don't believe it! There is no known cure for Celiac Disease. Some celiac's are intolerant of other things dairy, yeast, but eliminating other things besides gluten from your diet cannot cure Celiac Disease... Plus what the heck else are you supposed to eat? How are your going to get your essential amino acids, vitamins, nutrients???

This is dangerous and inaccurate advice.

Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disease--it can not be "cured", but treated by following a strict gluten-free diet. The diet is for life.

It is true that some Celiacs have additional food intolerances, but those vary depending on the individual.

Was told by a homeopathic doctor to help Celiac disease: Was told this would actually heal celiac. (kind of doubting this though) Said candida causes a lot of stuff? Can cause celiac.

Stop eating meat all together. Turkey is especially bad. No chicken ever.

:( I hate this

Need to eat cabbage :( not so crazy about this either. I dislike cabbage alot.

No sugar

No starch

No rice

No dairy

((so everything we can eat on a gluten-free diet???))

No fruit

Only eat brown rice, veggies, and beans?

((Anyone believe this will actually work??))

Arrgh...there is NO cure for Celiac disease. Upon a complete gluten free diet there may be 100% remission of symptoms and eventually even in the best case 100% healing of damage, but there is NO CURE for the disease.

Right. It's an auto-immune disease, like type 1 diabetes (no cure), lupus (no cure), etc. Don't give up those foods unless you have a legitimate intolerance to them.

Further, most doctors don't believe that candida overgrowth can actually cause disease, and there is no evidence to support that theory. I'm ducking behind my couch as I write this because I know a lot of people think regular doctors don't have it together, and I realize they don't have all the answers, but it's worth pointing out that a licensed MD would almost certainly reject the candida hypothesis in the first place.

I totally don't believe it! There is no known cure for Celiac Disease. Some celiac's are intolerant of other things dairy, yeast, but eliminating other things besides gluten from your diet cannot cure Celiac Disease... Plus what the heck else are you supposed to eat? How are your going to get your essential amino acids, vitamins, nutrients???

I know, it is CRAZY!

If anyone wants to check on this... Try calling Dr. Mike Loquasto --- 1-610-266-4240

To everyone who has written... I agree with you COMPLETELY!

This guy swears it will make it completely go away, but I see NOTHING just by changing the foods that don't bother me, how it is going to help!

My husband believes in the guy, and so we will both try the diet for a week or two.

I don't have any faith in it. But, I am doing it for my husband.

He does not have Celiac, and does not know the half of the disease yet.

I have a cure but if I say it I might be booted from this forum... tra la la....it has to do with getting your affairs in order. Anyway, kidding, but- Where is the science from this potential charlatan?!!! Does he/she have any?

I guess there's no harm in eliminating other things, obviously, but I suspect the legumes might be an issue, too, at least for a bit going into gluten-free. They seem to bother lots of people.

Good luck and good health,

lisa

I have a cure but if I say it I might be booted from this forum... tra la la....it has to do with getting your affairs in order.

HA! I love dark humor.

I know, it is CRAZY!

If anyone wants to check on this... Try calling Dr. Mike Loquasto --- 1-610-266-4240

This doctor is crazy and needs to be reported. Celiac disease is a genetic disorder. Therefore eating brown rice, beans and vegetables are not going to change your DNA. It will also not stop your lymphocytes from reacting to gluten. This is so frustrating. That doctor must have forgotten all the science he has ever learned.

Hi,

I agree with the others. This is totally an auto immune disease. It is hereditary for some and for others it can take something to trigger it such as a bad infection ( gets your immune system all out of whack). There is no cure for Celiac Disease. They are testing a drug that will allow people with Celiac Disease to eat gluten again. It's being done in Austrailia. I don't know why anyone would want to eat anything that they knew was making them sick but, that's just me.

As for your doctor, I'd get rid of him a.s.a.p.. Candida can cause you to feel ill but, usually you will have Candida as a result of your Celiac Disease. When your intestines get compromised from the inflammation you can develop leaky gut and even Candida. You can google the Celiac/Candida connection.

As for your doctor, I'd get rid of him a.s.a.p.. Candida can cause you to feel ill but, usually you will have Candida as a result of your Celiac Disease. When your intestines get compromised from the inflammation you can develop leaky gut and even Candida. You can google the Celiac/Candida connection.

I second the motion to get rid of the doctor, but want to point out that the candida theory isn't accepted by the medical community, which is worth keeping in mind when you talk to doctors, because they'll often dismiss it. There's no evidence to support it.

I have a cure but if I say it I might be booted from this forum... tra la la....it has to do with getting your affairs in order. Anyway, kidding, but- Where is the science from this potential charlatan?!!! Does he/she have any?

I guess there's no harm in eliminating other things, obviously, but I suspect the legumes might be an issue, too, at least for a bit going into gluten-free. They seem to bother lots of people.

Good luck and good health,

lisa

Haha!! Humor is great in times like these!

I have never personally met this doctor, nor have I spoken to him.

He is in Pennsylvania, and I am in Florida.

My husband asked him and he said the diet would make both my Celiac and his Diverticulosis go away completely in two weeks?!?!?

Sounds like a load, but I will try it, if for nothing except it will kind of clear you out for a few days. Been eating non-organic meat lately, and would like to rid myself of any crap that could have come from it.

I have never personally met this doctor, nor have I spoken to him.

He is in Pennsylvania, and I am in Florida.

My husband asked him and he said the diet would make both my Celiac and his Diverticulosis go away completely in two weeks?!?!?

Sounds like a load, but I will try it, if for nothing except it will kind of clear you out for a few days. Been eating non-organic meat lately, and would like to rid myself of any crap that could have come from it.

What the doctor may have meant is symptom relief. That diet would relieve celiac symptoms however it would not 'cure'. Eating just brown rice, veggies and beans would not be unhealthy as the combo of the beans and the rice would supply a complete protein. Boring yes but unhealthy no as long as a wide variety of veggies were used.

What the doctor may have meant is symptom relief. That diet would relieve celiac symptoms however it would not 'cure'. Eating just brown rice, veggies and beans would not be unhealthy as the combo of the beans and the rice would supply a complete protein. Boring yes but unhealthy no as long as a wide variety of veggies were used.

I thought at first, but he said 100% cure.

I don't believe it.

Nope--"100% cure" is impossible. While a diet like this may have an effect on symptoms, it does nothing about the autoimmune reaction. Once you are "cured" and go back to eating gluten, intestinal damage will occur, whether or not you have symptoms.

Personally, a diet like this would make me sicker than gluten does since I'm very intolerant to legumes. I would caution you again about taking advice from a doctor that you haven't met--a one-size-fits-all remedy is suspect at best, dangerous at worst.

Even if curing candida overgrowth were a cure for celiac disease, the info he gave you doesn't make any sense. Candida is a yeast, and yeast feed on sugars. Starches and carbohydrates break down into various kinds of sugars. Him telling you to avoid chicken and turkey but to eat brown rice is absolutely absurd. Although brown rice has less starch than white rice, it would still feed the yeast.

If you want symptom relief, the best thing to do is avoid *gluten* and if that doesn't work, try eliminating other dietary proteins which are scientifically accepted to cause a reaction in celiacs (at least while you're still healing). These would be soy, casein (dairy) and eggs. I know some people here have trouble with some other things too, like oats.

Although, if you're doing it for your husband, and it will help him get on board with dealing with your disease, there may be a benefit there. As long as you eat plenty of veggies as well, it shouldnt hurt to try it for a short time.

K,

so I read this-

A new study shows that digestive distress can trigger a chain of events leading directly to thyroid damage. It has been observed that individuals with Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) also have thyroid problems. In the new research scientists tracked down the link by establishing that auto-immune antibodies against transglutaminase (a Celiac problem) latch on to thyroid tissue and rev up thyroid autoantibodies (TPO - antithyroperoxidase antibodies), leading to thyroid tissue damage.

This is the first time a clear chain of events has been specifically identified. It is a very important finding that extends far beyond Celiac, as transglutaminase is also formed from an overgrowth of Candida. During Candida overgrowth the Candida induces inflammatory tissue damage along the lining of your digestive tract, like weeds spreading in a lawn and disturbing the structure of the lawn. The Candida takes dead digestive tract cells and makes a hard goop, like a turtle shell over the outside of itself. It then attaches this shell to the walls of your digestive tract with little scab-like threads called transglutaminase, while it hides underneath the shell to escape your immune system. When gluten passes through the transglutaminase it causes a highly inflammatory reaction which eventually generates Celiac-like autoantibodies. This is true whether you have clear cut Celiac or not. In fact, Candida can cause Celiac by this mechanism.

In working with thousands of people with Candida over the years it is clear that a high percentage of them have thyroid problems and elevated thyroid auto-antibodies. This is a lesson for anyone