This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Barium For Ct Scan.....is It Gluten Free?

kimis

kimis Collaborator

I have to get a ct scan of my abdomin and pelvis....they said I would have to rink barium before the test. I didn't even think to ask if it was gluten free....anybody know anything about it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lesliemac59 Newbie
I have to get a ct scan of my abdomin and pelvis....they said I would have to rink barium before the test. I didn't even think to ask if it was gluten free....anybody know anything about it?

When I was first diagnosed 10 years ago, I was told that there was gluten in the suspension because it worked with the barium for contrast. I was told that there were products without the gluten but that they didn't work as well. But that was 10 years ago and things change.

After doing some research on the internet, you will most definitely want to contact the imaging group you are using to find out the brand. Then you need to contact the manufacturer yourself. There are about 8 different companies that manufacture the barium product and if the gluten is in there, it will be in the suspension product and listed as a non-active ingredient.

From what I have read, barium products for contrast can cause all the same symptoms as gluten exposure, so it would be hard to tell.

My personal thinking would be to go back to the doc that ordered this ask if there wasn't something else or a different kind of alternative test.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I use a barium contrast at work for my job. The one I use is gluten free, but there are some that are not. What is the brand....Vari-Bar or Veri-Bar. I'll have to check monday.

Call the CT place, and ask for the brand, product, date, and phone number. If the product isn't gluten free, you can ask them to order it. 2 of Vari-Bar's products have gluten, so you will need to ask the company which ones and make sure it isn't what they want to use.

fran641 Contributor

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I never even thought to ask about this when I had a CT scan a few months ago. I'll be sure to check on any products the labs use with me from now on. Thanks again.

• 9 years later...
Bonnie Lee Newbie

Warning about barium CT scans: My doctor ordered a non-contrast abdominal CT scan. The imaging center said "we always use contrast." I should have objected, said "call my doctor," remembered that I put nothing in my mouth I am not sure is gluten free. Didn't, and obediently drank the 2 bottles of Vanilla Silq, I think each 8-12 ounces. About 60 minutes later I had terrible gas and bloating, followed by tremendous diarrhea, and then such severe cramping and pain, and fetching, that my doctor sent me to the ER 2 hours later when my husband called him. On a pain scale of 0-10, where 8/9 in the past was infected gallbladder, post-five hour abdominal surgery, and gyn surgery when I came out of the anesthetic in the middle, this was a 15. The pain had me doubled over, crying, for about 3 1/2 hours, and was waning when the ER finally ruled out appendicitis, food poisoning, etc and gave me antinausea and anticramping medicine and morphine. There is a research study on the web which concludes that "the majority" of imaging sites are not informed or aware of gluten content in barium products used, so BEWARE and advocate for yourself

kareng Grand Master
2 hours ago, Bonnie Lee said:

Warning about barium CT scans: My doctor ordered a non-contrast abdominal CT scan. The imaging center said "we always use contrast." I should have objected, said "call my doctor," remembered that I put nothing in my mouth I am not sure is gluten free. Didn't, and obediently drank the 2 bottles of Vanilla Silq, I think each 8-12 ounces. About 60 minutes later I had terrible gas and bloating, followed by tremendous diarrhea, and then such severe cramping and pain, and fetching, that my doctor sent me to the ER 2 hours later when my husband called him. On a pain scale of 0-10, where 8/9 in the past was infected gallbladder, post-five hour abdominal surgery, and gyn surgery when I came out of the anesthetic in the middle, this was a 15. The pain had me doubled over, crying, for about 3 1/2 hours, and was waning when the ER finally ruled out appendicitis, food poisoning, etc and gave me antinausea and anticramping medicine and morphine. There is a research study on the web which concludes that "the majority" of imaging sites are not informed or aware of gluten content in barium products used, so BEWARE and advocate for yourself

It could be that it had gluten .  But what you described is actually a rather common reaction for non- Celiac people, too.  My mom didn’t have Celiac but that was her reaction to the contrast. That stuff is pretty nasty.

Archived