This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Attending A Paid Catered Event

captaincrab55

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Hi All, New here, diagnosed about 7 weeks ago witn DH (biopsy) & celiac disease several days latter (blood test)..

I was planing on attending a picnic for IBEW#24 at Conrad's Ruth Villa in Middle River Maryland on 8-9-09. I called the caterer, spoke with Brad and requested a list of foods that may contain Gluten or are gluten-free. He could only list the foods being served and recommended that I don't attend!...

I have several Questions; Do I have a right to know what's in the food being served?

Would this be a violation of the ADA laws?

Thanks, Tom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Is there a reason you HAVE to attend? If not, I wouldn't give them my business. If you need to go, then ask if they can reduce the price since they can't serve you. You can always throw in the ADA thing and they might cooperate but it seems like they don't really care. Good luck!

captaincrab55 Enthusiast
Is there a reason you HAVE to attend? If not, I wouldn't give them my business. If you need to go, then ask if they can reduce the price since they can't serve you. You can always throw in the ADA thing and they might cooperate but it seems like they don't really care. Good luck!

Attending the event is at will and I won't attend unless I get some cooperation from the Caterer (in this case, the Owner too). This event usually brings out (weather permitting) between 2000 to 3000 people of all ages. With a group that size, I can easily see 20 to 30 people (maybe more) that can group together to make a difference in the future...

All seemed so easy to locate food out until this event.. I went to a wedding 2 weeks ago and Atlantic Caterers bent over backwards to assist me, even offered to make a special meal... Hershey Park was very helpful and easy to deal with. Out Back Steakhouse has a seperate gluten-free menu...

Long story short, this is my Test Case to make a difference for those that have DH and/or celiac disease... I just need to understand what rights One has with this Disease.. Are there any topics on One's rights?

Thanks, Tom

Gemini Experienced

Long story short, this is my Test Case to make a difference for those that have DH and/or celiac disease... I just need to understand what rights One has with this Disease.. Are there any topics on One's rights?

Thanks, Tom

tarnalberry Community Regular

As far as I know, private events are not in any way covered by the ADA. (This is why you don't have to have wheelchair access to your house, for instance.) It's always best to check with a lawyer, but the ADA generally covers public (city/state/federal) sources and "generally accessible to the public, and big enough" sorts of things.

Mskedi Newbie

Like others have said, you don't have any rights in this instance, but you do have a voice. This company has heard your needs. Maybe in the future they will here from other people with Celiacs or allergies. Then they may decide it would be a good business decision to charge a bit extra for a special plate for such people. Maybe you won't make a difference right now with this company, but the more exposure people like us get (especially if it is polite exposure), the more likely companies are to see us as customers whose business they want.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

No caterer is obligated to cater to you and your food illnesses or allergies but I'll be honest with you. I don't know a good one that wouldn't want to make sure you were taken care of. I've been working in event planning in DC and Baltimore for the past few months and we are working with Classic Catering in Owings Mills right now. If you're looking for a good caterer who truly cares, I recommend them for sure. Not that I'm trying make a sales pitch, just my experience up here!

If it's an event that you'd like to attend, since it seems like it's pretty big and would be fun. I'd express my disappointment in the catering company to whomever its appropriate to do so and just either eat before or bring my own food. Celiacs shouldn't have to miss out on fun things because other people don't get it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I would bring my own food and when people asked why I wasn't eating the catered food I would be honest. I would say I tried to explain to the caterer my special dietary needs but they were very rude and unwilling to work with me. Maybe if they get business taken away from them (who wants to have rude caterers?) they will be more open minded in the future.

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
Attending the event is at will and I won't attend unless I get some cooperation from the Caterer (in this case, the Owner too). This event usually brings out (weather permitting) between 2000 to 3000 people of all ages. With a group that size, I can easily see 20 to 30 people (maybe more) that can group together to make a difference in the future...

All seemed so easy to locate food out until this event.. I went to a wedding 2 weeks ago and Atlantic Caterers bent over backwards to assist me, even offered to make a special meal... Hershey Park was very helpful and easy to deal with. Out Back Steakhouse has a seperate gluten-free menu...

Thanks, Tom

I think you should write a letter to your local's leadership pointing out the failure of this caterer to be accommodating (ironic, since that's what "catering" means) and suggest switching to Atlantic Caterers who did such a good job at the wedding you intended, and cc to the bad catering company's owner/manager/boss/whoever you can get. My fabulous psychic powers suggest that you'll find the bad caterers suddenly willing to cater to you a lot more readily than if you mention the ADA, which as mentioned above doesn't apply.

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Let me start by saying Thanks to All that chimed in with advice... One could read for weeks elsewhere and still not get the knowledge that one Topic here can bring to one dealing with DH and celiac disease..

After reading the replies, it looks like I'll back off on using the ADA... My State Legislator did send me an ADA link. I did reply to the link early yesterday, but will drop it... I will start writing letters to Praise food services that have helped me identify food ingredients and cc: the ones that aren't help-full. Hopefully, Conrad's Ruth Villa will get the message about helping one identify foods that contain GLUTEN by this time next year..

I was never known for my writing skills, but I will attempt an article for the IBEW LOCAL#24 newsletter and possibly get it printed in the International's IBEW newsletter.. Maybe someone can chime in with a good title for the article. I was thinking about, " Living With CELIAC Disease" as a title. Any help will be appreciated...

BTW, When I called Conrad's Ruth Villa inquiring about food ingredients, I never requested a special meal.

My intent was to locate a few foods that I could safely eat and bring other foods to make a complete meal. Instead of helping me with food ingredients, Brad Rudly Recommended that I don't attend the event. Keep in mind that I was required to pay for all that attended with me, including myself.

www Newbie

My opinion....you are going about this the wrong way. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Whether in politics, the media, gay rights issues it applies everywhere. Approach the caterer with the idea you WILL get what you want. If it si before the event, call them and tell them to make something you can eat. No threat, just state you EXPECT them to comply. After all, you stated you are required to pay for it.

If you come the day of the event, then come early and see the catering manager and state the same things. You WILL accommodate me. I paid for the meal, I will be accommodated.

In America, we've become for to PC and mousy. The folks who get paid attention to are usually in the minority and they get everything they ask for at the majorities expense. I have at events like this and have been served at the very least an overflowing fruit plate that is the envy of the other guests at my tabel. Find a spine for goodness sake!

Gemini Experienced
My opinion....you are going about this the wrong way. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Whether in politics, the media, gay rights issues it applies everywhere. Approach the caterer with the idea you WILL get what you want. If it si before the event, call them and tell them to make something you can eat. No threat, just state you EXPECT them to comply. After all, you stated you are required to pay for it.

If you come the day of the event, then come early and see the catering manager and state the same things. You WILL accommodate me. I paid for the meal, I will be accommodated.

In America, we've become for to PC and mousy. The folks who get paid attention to are usually in the minority and they get everything they ask for at the majorities expense. I have at events like this and have been served at the very least an overflowing fruit plate that is the envy of the other guests at my tabel. Find a spine for goodness sake!

My opinion....very bad idea and my spine is fully intact, thank you! <_<

All those obnoxious, squeaky wheels may get their way short term but there is back lash and it will come. Nothing more arrogant than demanding that someone accommodate you or else. I also wouldn't be so stupid as to do so in anything food related because God only knows what will end up in YOUR meal!

I have no problems bringing my own food when finding something gluten-free at a catered event is not happenin'. My food is always way better than theirs and then people won't get the dopey idea that Celiacs are actually disabled whiners. I also don't like being sick because someone with little experience or food knowledge screws up my plate. I think that most Celiacs receive much better treatment trying to be nice to begin with when inquiring about obtaining a gluten-free meal. I know I have.

Gemini Experienced

BTW, When I called Conrad's Ruth Villa inquiring about food ingredients, I never requested a special meal.

My intent was to locate a few foods that I could safely eat and bring other foods to make a complete meal. Instead of helping me with food ingredients, Brad Rudly Recommended that I don't attend the event. Keep in mind that I was required to pay for all that attended with me, including myself.

Mskedi Newbie
He should have been dope slapped with a stale, gluten-free roll!

:lol:

modiddly16 Enthusiast

You certainly can't walk into a place and demand that they accommodate you. I'd be afraid of what would end up in my food as well and it's not the caterers fault that you have to pay for the event, it's the event planner. Sometimes you can contact them and explain your situation and they'll just charge you less. I've done this several times and usually if you're kind, patient and pleasant about it...people are willing to help you. Being spiteful and demanding won't help our cause at all!

www Newbie

Everyone misunderstood my post. No demands or threats should be made. I did not write the words threaten or demand. You should instead ACT like your diet needs should be accommodated. If asking nicely is not well received, then you might consider an attitude change of you "expect" to be accommodated.

When a person wears jeans, t-shirt and flip flops you are judged by your appearance and taken less seriously than someone wearing better clothes and more dressed up.

Hey folks...calm down.

Gemini Experienced
Approach the caterer with the idea you WILL get what you want. If it si before the event, call them and tell them to make something you can eat. No threat, just state you EXPECT them to comply. After all, you stated you are required to pay for it.

If you re-read your original post here above, you stated you EXPECT them to comply and they WILL accommodate you. I saw you added no threat but those 2 sentences sounded awfully arrogant to me and it is not an attitude I would ever use on anyone. As for the appearance thing, that's comparing apples to oranges, even though your basic opinion is correct....you are treated better if you are well dressed and groomed. I am just trying to figure out how that has anything to do with a food issue.

Would you really eat anything prepared, unseen, by a catering company after saying something like that? You are a bigger risk taker than I am! ;)

No one is getting upset about this so we don't need to be told to calm down. I just think you have to walk a fine line when asking for a food intolerance to be accommodated. If there is initial resistance, I drop it because I figure they are idiots and don't know enough about food to get it right. :lol: There will be more and more folks who do gluten free catering in future so it won't be long before things become easier on that front. Whoever would have thought that a company as mainstream as Betty Crocker would do a gluten-free line?

lovegrov Collaborator
Hi All, New here, diagnosed about 7 weeks ago witn DH (biopsy) & celiac disease several days latter (blood test)..

I was planing on attending a picnic for IBEW#24 at Conrad's Ruth Villa in Middle River Maryland on 8-9-09. I called the caterer, spoke with Brad and requested a list of foods that may contain Gluten or are gluten-free. He could only list the foods being served and recommended that I don't attend!...

I have several Questions; Do I have a right to know what's in the food being served?

Would this be a violation of the ADA laws?

Thanks, Tom

Maybe I missed it, but who is Brad? Is he the owner or the chef? If not, move up the chain to somebody who really knows something.

richard

captaincrab55 Enthusiast
Maybe I missed it, but who is Brad? Is he the owner or the chef? If not, move up the chain to somebody who really knows something.

richard

Brad is the person @ Conrad's Ruth Villa located in Middle River, Maryland that answered the phone. I did ask for a manager and Brad recommended that I don't attend.. It was like he was afraid of catching CELIAC Disease

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Little Up-date that I didn't include in my last Post.

I sent a CERTIFIED Return Receipt letter to Conrad's Ruth Villa yesterday.. I did cc: a few people, including; Friends with CELIAC Disease. They should get the letter today.

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

The letter I wrote to Conrad's Ruth Villa yesterday arrived today. Fred Conrad called the Local #24 officer that I cc: the letter, so he could contact me.. First off he informed me that he didn't employee anyone by the name of Brad and apologized that someone gave a fictitious name. He then went on to inquire about CELIAC Disease and the Gluten Free diet..

Long story short, Conrad's Ruth Villa will check with their food vendors for ingredients and relay that information to me early next week. There was also an offer to special batter and fry up some chicken just for me. I declined, knowing that cross contamination could easily happen.

The call ended with Fred Conrad Thanking me for bringing CELIAC Awareness to Conrad's Ruth Villa.

Mskedi Newbie

Sounds like it's good you wrote the letter! :)

captaincrab55 Enthusiast
Sounds like it's good you wrote the letter! :)

The letter did turn out as a, "WIN WIN for CELIAC Disease Awareness".. It did cost $5.54 to send the letter Certified Return Receipt, but it assured me that my message would be delivered to someone that could be held accountable. In this case, the letter reached the property owner / caterer (same person)..

Now I must offer a, "Big Thanks" to all that "Chimed In" on this Topic...

Archived