heatherjane

Any Woodwind Players Out There?

Rate this topic

I know this may sound a little random and weird to some, but is there any way cork grease could contain gluten? I've played clarinet for years, and realized the other day when I was putting my horn together how easy it is to get the grease on my hands, and sometimes on the mouthpiece. The ingredients aren't normally listed on the tube...the only thing I could think would be suspect is if it has vitamin E. I know the obvious step is just to call the manufacturer, but I thought I'd check and see if there was anyone who already knew.

I've been kind of a slow healer after 8 mos gluten free, so I'm just trying to eliminate gluten anywhere it may lurk. :ph34r:

The NIH has a product database. You may be able to do a search of it and see if the product is listed. If it is the database will tell you what is in it and what it is derived from. Not everything is in there and in the long run it may be easier to just call the company but figured I would suggest it.

The NIH has a product database. You may be able to do a search of it and see if the product is listed. If it is the database will tell you what is in it and what it is derived from. Not everything is in there and in the long run it may be easier to just call the company but figured I would suggest it.

Cool - thanks! What is NIH? I'm assuming it's online somewhere?

Cool - thanks! What is NIH? I'm assuming it's online somewhere?

The NIH is the National Institute of Health. If you do a search putting in NIH and the product name it may come up in the results if they have a listing for the product.

I play saxophone. One time I very absentmindedly put some cork grease on my lips thinking that it was lip balm. I was very worried that it might contain gluten. I rubbed it off right away. I am so sensitive to gluten that I have cut out almost all processed foods, yet the cork grease/lip balm did not make me sick, so I think that it is safe. The brand was the store brand for Music and Arts stores. It looks like normal cork grease.

I've played the clarinet for about ten years, I grease my corks every time I put my instrument together, and have never noticed a problem from cork grease. I am also very sensitive to even trace amounts of gluten. I don't have much brand loyalty when it comes to cork grease either. Vandoren, Woodwind Brasswind, or any generic store brand I buy has never caused a problem.

That being said, let us know if you find a brand you have a problem with!

I emailed Yamaha, which is the brand I'm currently using, and a customer service rep emailed me two PDFs of the MSDS (material safety data sheets) for their cork greases.

The one I'm using is made up of Petrolatum, synthetic wax, and tallow blends (animal fats, i guess), and wintergreen scent. The sheet for the other one, labeled "organic", says Vaseline and hydrogenated palm oil. My hunch is that other brands would be similar... basically petroleum/oil based.

So, I think we're ok on all this, but I wouldn't want to put it on my lips. :P

I've never had a problem and I play clarinet. Actually, I ran out of cork grees and used vaseline- works just as well :D

I play flute/piccolo.

However the last time I picked it up I had no idea I had a problem with gluten/wheat intolerance. I figured I'd pipe up since it's always nice knowing who played woodwinds.

Yay for woodwinds :lol:

I play flute/piccolo.

However the last time I picked it up I had no idea I had a problem with gluten/wheat intolerance. I figured I'd pipe up since it's always nice knowing who played woodwinds.

Yay for woodwinds :lol:

Woodwinds rule, Brass drool. :lol: Does that remind anyone of middle school band?

Shortly after getting diagnosed, I threw out my old reeds that I'm sure could have absorbed gluten if I hadn't had a chance to brush before playing. I disinfected my mouthpiece too. I love to play, and there's no way I'm getting glutened from it!

I haven't played for years but I still consider myself a bassoonist :)